• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stock oil pressure sender.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
All,
What is the resistance range of the stock oil pressure sending unit on the bronco? Also is there a smaller unit with the magic range that can be used instead of the stock unit?

I have a 96 explorer engine with a custom oil filter relocator and I am unable to use the stock one or the mustang extension/angle thing.

I forgot the stock explorer one on the engine and built around it, a yeah stupid but its done.

I also wish to use the stock gauge at this time as well.

Thanks

Bill

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was just thinking of asking nearly the same question but for a completely different use.
My question would have expanded a little to ask if anyone has a good reference sounce for pressure sending units (pressure vs. resistance). I was thinking of reworking the stock oil pressure gauge into an on board air pressure gauge but I want to expand the scale (make new markings).

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Oil pressure senders should read 24-36 ohms of resistance at 8 psi or less and 8.0 to 17.5 ohms at 90 psi (gauged maxed out).
I've never seen a smaller sending unit that would work although I really havent looked. You may endup having to connect a sending unit to a hose.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The oil pressure sender has the same resistance range as the fuel sender and temp sender, 10 ohms at full scale and about 75 ohms at low scale. Mid scale is 23 ohms. The gauge itself has 10-14 ohms of resistance.

I was looking for a different value temp sender recently as I was thinking about making a master warning light circuit. One bright LED bulb that would light up if temp got too high or oil or fuel got too low. I didn't find anything that really fit what I needed.

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
in looking around for some other options there is one by picture that summit sells that looks smaller and should fit fine. Will see tomorrow if it is correct or not. I figure I will run a soft line to the sender and it should be out of the way if the summit one is not smaller.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Post up some pictures when you get it behemoth. Be curious to see not only the new unit, but also your setup and what you've got in the way.
We just did it with an explorer serp setup, but had no issue with the stock tube turned to angle slightly more forward to clear the bracket.
Just using a stock oil filter in this case however, so that wasn't an issue.

Good luck. If all else fails, the tube method might be a good option. I've done it on other engines in the past when a smaller (light type) sender was replaced with a larger (gauge type) sender.

Paul

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
The engine is in my other bronco that has an addtional crossmember and rack and pinion steering. The engine came used with a po built oil filter relocator. I just chose to use it as the steeringlines and other stuff was in the way.

The issue is with lines off of the block, I will look at turning it more and moving the lines out of the way.

The smaller oil pressure sender if it is actually what the picture was should work fine.

Attachments

• DSC03233 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03233 (Medium).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC03236 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03236 (Medium).JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC03237 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03237 (Medium).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC03238 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03238 (Medium).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 53

Broncobowsher

Total hack
From the looks of it you might be able to get away with a 45° street elbow screwed into the block to reangle the sending unit. Ace hardware generally will carry them when the big boy home centers don't. Think of it as a stubby version of the long stock unit. probably will have to clock it a little to get the sending unit to fill in the spot.

70_Steve

Old Guy
From the looks of it you might be able to get away with a 45° street elbow screwed into the block to reangle the sending unit.
The hole in the block and the stock sending unit are both 1/4"NPT. I had the stock sending unit and an oil pressure safety switch mounted in that location. Use a 2" nipple to a tee, with the sending unit off the side of the tee, and a street elbow out of the end of the tee to mount the switch.

Just determine where the sending unit will fit, then what fittings you need to get it there! I'm getting ready to remount my sending unit, and instead of using the stock extension, I'm probalby going to use that same 2" nipple and a 45°!

Last edited:
OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
According to the summit racing page the oil pressure sender smp-sp149 is for a ford bronco with a 289 and the 302, as well as some other newer cars. It is also much smaller than the stock one that I had on the engine originally. Its size is closer to the explorer one and this should work perfectly with no mods or addapters.

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
The hole in the block and the stock sending unit are both 1/4"NPT. I had the stock sending unit and an oil pressure safety switch mounted in that location. Use a 2" nipple to a tee, with the sending unit off the side of the tee, and a street elbow out of the end of the tee to mount the switch.

Just determine where the sending unit will fit, then what fittings you need to get it there! I'm getting ready to remount my sending unit, and instead of using the stock extension, I'm probalby going to use that same 2" nipple and a 45°!

thats what i have.might have a 3"nipple though.put in there in 79 when i broke the stock one putting 351 in.

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Well the ps149 smaller sender from summit which in their application section says it is for the early bronco with a 289 and 302 appears to be a light sender. The gauge pegs as soon as the key is turned. So back to the smaller adapter fittings I guess.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Well the ps149 smaller sender from summit which in their application section says it is for the early bronco with a 289 and 302 appears to be a light sender. The gauge pegs as soon as the key is turned. So back to the smaller adapter fittings I guess.

Must be using the same interchange books the parts stores use but forget to ask if it is a gauge or a light.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just fyi....I run a lot of aftermarket fuel and oil pressure senders in various boats
I own and danged if they all (VDO, Stewart Warner, etc) aren't big ole 'cans' just like the stock Ford sender.

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
So in my quest for a working guage it has come to the fact that I have no oil pressure. Thankfully I have not run it more than a few seconds at a time.

I attempted to prime it and there was resistance from the pump, so I figured pressure and realized the initial sending unit issue.

I now have pulled the electric sender out and have a manual guage on it and no pressure with the drill.

Pulled the valve cover off and there is nothing getting to the heads.

Pulled the oil filter relocator which was modified and installed by the previous owner of the engine. For chuckles I turned the drill and oil went everywhere.
So the pump is pumping.

Now when the explorer oil filter mount is removed what if anything needs to be changed on the block? Is it as simple as screwing in the threaded tube to screw on the filter or is there more to it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Now when the explorer oil filter mount is removed what if anything needs to be changed on the block? Is it as simple as screwing in the threaded tube to screw on the filter or is there more to it.

Well that doesn't look like an explorer piece to me but yes. Glad you got it sorted out before bad things happened.

OP
OP
behemoth

behemoth

Bronco Guru
after removing the adapter this is what the block looks like. The adapter was not an explorer part it was a universal part that the po installed. I am just trying to verify that there is nothing missing or somthing that I should change.

I believe I may have found my issue, I had the oil lines connected center to center and side to side. A guess that the pressure valve in the filter was killing my pressure. I will relocate the lines tomorrow and see.

Attachments

• DSC03243 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03243 (Medium).JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 15

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You are missing the nipple the oil filter screws onto!
Maybe it came out with the adapter.