• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

heater blower resistor

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
one of my customer's resistor has gone out on his heater blower motor. would it be the same voltage drop as a resistor for an ignition coil?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
No, it's a different type of resistor, and is designed to reduce current to the fan for different speeds. Usually those blower speed resisters are mounted in the heater duct.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
An ignition resistor would catch fire if you tried to use it with the blower. But you can use almost ANY blower resistor (any make/model/year) if you have the matching connector, and can make it fit in that duct.

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
good to know, thanks guys. my knowledge on resistors is minimal unfortunately. anybody have a good used one?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The blower motor uses more current than the ignition coil so the resistor needs to have a higher wattage capability.

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
well, gotta hit the wrecking yard this week for a new set of visors for the CR-V, so i'll look around for one. thanks again!

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Well, it'd have to be since the ig. resistor is only 1.05-1.15 Ohms; the M2 blower resistor is .25; M1 is .55; L is 1.3 , and they're added (so M1 speed uses .8 Ohms; L uses 2.1).

Since the blower draws ~20A, the resistors have to dissipate ~50W of heat.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since the blower draws ~20A, the resistors have to dissipate ~50W of heat.

Hey Steve, is that last number (50w) correct? I didn't follow each of your numbers and equations, but the rating seems low, since the Mallory ignition ballast resistor is rated at 200 watts.
Is it just that we're talking about current on the one hand, and heat on the other? Or are they one in the same in this case? And if so, would that 200w rating then be sufficient?

I'm not recommending a full-size resistor in place of a true heater-resistor. I'd use a standard heater type, even if only for convenience and safety (with the coils inside the plenum air stream), but it would appear to at least be a functional alternative from an electrical standpoint at least.
Which is why I'm asking.

Thanks

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
I did some quick calculations last night, so I might have goofed, but I think it's right. It seems about right.

Current (Amps, "i") isn't heat; it's the flow rate of electrons. Heat (Watts, "W") is power lost/wasted. Voltage (Volts, "V") is the 'pressure' of electricity. Resistance (Ohms, "R") is the 'friction' of electricity. V = R * i ; W = V * i = R * i * i .

My '83 never had a resistor, and I don't remember what was in Frank's '75, so it surprises me that yours is a 200W. If so, it SHOULD work fine, as long as it's in free or forced air (so it can lose that heat), AND your connections can take the heat. If you confine it in a wiring harness or even wrap it with tape, it'll start a fire. That's why all blower resistors are built to go in the airstream, and are bare. Your ig. resistor is probably ceramic-cased, right?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '83 never had a resistor, and I don't remember what was in Frank's '75, so it surprises me that yours is a 200W.

Did they just regulate it directly in the switch then? Or is there another method of resistance used there? Just curious. Might come in handy someday to know that.

If so, it SHOULD work fine, as long as it's in free or forced air (so it can lose that heat), AND your connections can take the heat. If you confine it in a wiring harness or even wrap it with tape, it'll start a fire. That's why all blower resistors are built to go in the airstream, and are bare.?

Definitely! That's what I was suggesting when I said it might be "less convenient and safe" to mount a non-standard type in anyplace other than the original location. It's just way bigger than a standard heater version. But "could" be used if you did it carefully.

Your ig. resistor is probably ceramic-cased, right?

Yep, just a standard resistor and looks like any other one you've seen for the last 50 years or so. May just be "updated" with heavier components. In the text, they seem to be claiming that it's "variable based on ambient temperature", if I'm reading their add-type correctly, but it seems to me that all resistors are temp-variable. Wouldn't they be?
I can send you the image and text from the catalog if you want to check it out or post it here for the others.

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Did they just regulate it directly in the switch then?
Not in the switch - in the electronic ignition module. ;D It receives full battery voltage on both the cranking & running circuits, but it regulates what it sends to the coil.
...it's "variable based on ambient temperature", if I'm reading their add-type correctly, but it seems to me that all resistors are temp-variable. Wouldn't they be?
Yeah, that falls into the category of "baffle 'em with BS". Typical US marketing misdirection & obfuscation.
I can send you the image and text from the catalog...
Not necessary.