• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Did Some cerakoting for a bronco brother! UPDATED!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I read about the high temp version and they require prep with a certain grit blast media. Is that as important as they make it out to be?

Yes....otherwise it will not stick. it's crazy stuff besides its durability and scratch resistance it has properties similar to Teflon which allows it to rub against itself without coming off ie actions on firearms

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Powder coat works just as well, I had @Greg_B do my handles, mirror and headlight rings a couple of years ago before I ever bought a PC gun. Best thing I could have done, I'll get some picture of them.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Powder coat works just as well, I had @Greg_B do my handles, mirror and headlight rings a couple of years ago before I ever bought a PC gun. Best thing I could have done, I'll get some picture of them.

I do some powder coating as well but the customer wanted this specifically so, that's what we did. The prep is pretty much the same but this stuff was way easier, just wish there as many color options as powder

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeppers! I've been Cerakoting firearm components for a couple years using the oven-cured sprayed on product. Amazing stuff all right! I prefer it to powder coating hands down.

Here's a recent example. Biggest issue I have is oven size; I'm looking for one large enough to do parts up to 5' long.

a friend made an oven with an over barrel (for containing a leaking 55 gallon drum) and and oven element. It is not 5 feet more like 4 but you hand the parts from the lid. I forget what he used to line it with for insulation, he may have covered the outside. instead.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
a friend made an oven with an over barrel (for containing a leaking 55 gallon drum) and and oven element. It is not 5 feet more like 4 but you hand the parts from the lid. I forget what he used to line it with for insulation, he may have covered the outside. instead.

There a good youtube video where a guy builds one using metal studs etc and it looks great

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
At work we have made allot of custom electric heater ovens. We used a material Called Marinite to make an outer box with angle iron corner framing inside these boxes we used 3/8" aluminium floor plate with electrical heat strips bolted under the plate. and lined the rest of the oven with aluminium sheet. We mounted Thermal couples to the aluminium floor plate or just stuck into the heated air space to control temperatures with a Barber Coleman digital controller switching power through mercury relays.

http://www.industrialinsulation.com/marinite_board.htm

http://www.mcgoff-bethune.com/manufact/eurotherm/control-overview/controller-overview.html

https://www.mcmaster.com/#strip-heaters/=1dp2xyc

https://www.grainger.com/category/m...ors/motor-controls/electrical/ecatalog/N-19sc

This is expensive high end stuff made for production equipment. But the engineering was sound, proven and has been working for over 30 years.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Oh no I just noticed the wing windows. What color options on that? Sheesh this is getting out of hand!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Oh no I just noticed the wing windows. What color options on that? Sheesh this is getting out of hand!

sorry jeff I just saw your post, the color is called graphite black. Its a semi satin finish that has a little more gray in it the satin black items I powder coated for you.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I've never heard of cerakoting. Can you give me a two line explanation of it vs. power coating? And is it good for things like bumpers?

Hey Jim, its a sprayed on coating that can be air or oven cured. It's typically used on firearms but the appications are endless. You can typically get the same results as powder coat but it's achieved in a thinner layer. The only downside is that their is not as many color options as powder coat. I would think that it would hold up well on a bumper

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Hey Jim, its a sprayed on coating that can be air or oven cured. It's typically used on firearms but the appications are endless. You can typically get the same results as powder coat but it's achieved in a thinner layer. The only downside is that their is not as many color options as powder coat. I would think that it would hold up well on a bumper

Thanks Ry. That's good information to know. Hmmmmmm.................perhaps my Beretta might like that! ;D

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Been getting request for wiper arms too...lou at LAL customs ordered up a set and Jon from JB custom fabrication as well.
IMG_7935.jpg