• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost versus Vacuum Boost Brakes - Opinions

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Everyone,

We'll be getting started on completing the '70 Bronco soon.

My original thought was to install the vacuum booster I have for the brakes.

I installed an Astro Van hydroboost setup on the '71 six years ago. I love it.

The '71 had manual brakes before the conversion. I haven't driven a Bronco that has vacuum booster brakes, so I don't have a way to compare the two.

The '70 will be driven on and off road, and possibly some moderate rocks.

Anyone have a strong opinion about this? I'd prefer to stay with the vacuum booster; but, I haven't ruled out hydroboost.

Thanks for any opinions you'd care to offer.

Jeff

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have vacuum on my 67. it is disc brake dana 44 up front with drum brakes on the rear. 35" tires. All the front brake are basically stock 77 set up. I used to have manual brakes and they sucked!! I find the truck brakes pretty good considering the tires and soft suspension I have. I have never run Hydro boost. vacuum is simple and if you have everything to do it I say run vacuum and up grade later if you are not happy.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Hydroboost is crazy compared to vacuum. All the comments you hear about it feeling like it'll put you through the windshield if you aren't careful are true. My '68 Bronco with hydroboost stops much better than my 2004 Chrysler Crossfire with factory vacuum assist. The Crossfire has huge rotors and is a lighter vehicle, but the Bronco stops noticeably better.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your input.

I'm running 35s.

I am very happy with the hydroboost on the '71. I certainly agree with all the positive comments.

Thanks again for all your input.

Jeff

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
35 inch is where vacuum boost starts not being enough.

You already have one Bronco with 35s and hydroboost and you like how it stops. Do hydroboost the first time, so you don't need to do it the second time.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Of six trucks, Broncos and pickups, I have only one left to convert to hydroboost...and have everything on hand to do it. It's an '89 F-250.

Nuff said. ;-)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have hydroboost, 33" tires and chevy conversion disc brakes. When the truck was stock drums and 30" tires and manual brakes it sucked and dangerous in a panic brake situation. Change lane a 55 mph. Converted to disc brakes front, still manual brakes were safe but still sucked in a panic stop. Went to 33" tires and back to piss poor braking. At the same time speeds on the freeways went from 55 mph to 70 plus because the cars are now doing so much better. Went to hydra boost and all problems went away and had braking that may actually save your life.

My friends Bronco is a different story. He had manual drum brake dana 30 axle. Went to 33 inch tires Braking was unsafe so he swapped in Ford disc brake dana 44 axle. The brakes were safe but still sucked. Then he swapped in brand new booster assembly bought from the Ford dealer back in the day and the brakes were pretty good for the standard back then.

Through the years he has had to replace the booster canister and the brakes were just not the same any more. 3 different canisters and all the work to rebuild the system and have it worked over time and time again and he can't get the effectiveness that he had when he put it together the first time around with the new Booster assembly from Ford back then.

Its OK but just frustrating. Here in SoCal, driving in traffic, old school braking is just not good enough. My feeling with vacuum boost and a heavy Bronco, a 30 inch tire is probably where vacuum boost is the limit going over that not good enough to me.

To be fair that is the conscious from our experience with our 2 Broncos that were not built with either braking systems from the factory. They were cobbled up to make an effective braking solution for our trucks as they evolved while in our possession.

Our Broncos are weight pigs and not a little stock 3600 lb stock Bronco. My recommendation if you going to run your pig around the yard go hydra boost.

A stock small tire Bronco to just be safe in modern traffic, a vacuum booster system will work well for you as long as you do the disc conversion too. There is just not enough stuff left if you decide to go bigger.

None of it matters much if your only driving 30 mph on Sunday to take the kids for an Ice cream cone.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hydroboost make the pedal light, but still has good feel

vacuum booster makes the pedal lighter than manual brakes, but still not that great. But what I hate about the vacuum booster is it numbs the feel of the brakes. They are slower to react. The brakes feel like the fluid is half frozen gear oil struggling to move through the lines. Yes, the brakes will apply, but it takes a moment for that to start happening.

If you ever need to be towed out, don't have brake assist. Applying brakes on a vacuum system is a heroic event, on a hydroboost you simply go back to this is what manual brakes felt like, I love my hydroboost, I wish it was working. Not the "crap! Am I going to rear end the guy towing me who is slowing for a turn?!)

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Guys,

Okay... I'm convinced that hydroboost should be installed on this Bronco, too.

It's one of those deals... as soon as I add more upgrades the boss may want me to sell it. (If I don't install hydroboost to start, it will be for certain that she'll want us to keep it, and I'll be kicking myself for not installing them.)

Thanks for all the input. It's truly appreciated. This forum is awesome for this kind of input. Thank you all.

Jeff

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
After blowing another vacuum booster on the 66 I went hydro. After driving it I bought a second hydro boost set-up for the 72. World of difference and don't have to replace a booster every couple years. That's stopping 35s.

southbaybronco

I just installed the Wild Horses MOAB HydroBoost on my bronco with 33's and a 3.5 inch lift. I wish i would have done this a long time ago!