• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sealed intake manifold!!

la hi

I am rebuilding a 351w for my 66 u14, 170ci 6, My donor engine has a 4v intake manifold. The last two ports are sealed off. Why would this be?
I hammered at the sealed ports with a hammer and chisel and it didn't give.

Attachments

• intake manifold ford 4v.jpg
    intake manifold ford 4v.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 212
  • intake 4v second picture.jpg
    intake 4v second picture.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 199

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Heads on Windsors are reversable L ro R. So they have water jacket ports on both ends of each head. But the manifold only has the thermostat housing/radiator hose connection on the front end, so it only needs water passages at that end. The back of the intake blocks off the unused ports. Water taken from the back of the head wouldn't have anywhere to go if the intake had a passage back there.

If you look at the coolant flow, you can see that it travels from the pump back thru the block, up into the heads, forward thru the heads, into the front of the intake, & out to the radiator.
interchange37.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
la hi

la hi

Thanks all,
I now can see why "ykes and hilarious" is appropriate. T hanks for the diagram and explanation. I shall continue with my plan to use that manifold.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sharpen the chisel.

Yea, it is pretty much covered with the above replys. Hopefully you didn't hurt the sealing surface. There is still pressurized water passage that it is covering.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
intake

I have seen people drill and tap these holes, install fittings and run an external cooling hose to connect them. Not sure if it does anything in terms of better cooling.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have seen people drill and tap these holes, install fittings and run an external cooling hose to connect them. Not sure if it does anything in terms of better cooling.

Ford did that from the factory at one time, but it wasn't for engine cooling. It was when they were running an EGR cooler. They needed to tap a cooling line and the EGR was already on the back of the carb. Made it easy.

There are some high RPM, high HP circle track engines that pull water off the back of the heads. But that is a specialized 4-corner cooling modification and not just connecting left and right banks.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Thanks all,
I now can see why "ykes and hilarious" is appropriate. T hanks for the diagram and explanation. I shall continue with my plan to use that manifold.

For the record I didn't find if hilarious that you didn't know but that 75MIKE was begging you to stop beating on it. We all start somewhere and there's still many things we don't know.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
For the record I didn't find if hilarious that you didn't know but that 75MIKE was begging you to stop beating on it. We all start somewhere and there's still many things we don't know.

/\/\This/\/\ is one of the reasons why I love this site.

OP isn't necessarily offended but SteveL is circling back to clear the air, admitting that we all started somewhere.

Love me some CB

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Most new intake manifolds are made without that port.
I've sold old intake manifolds that had the port when the buyers really thought they cooled better. %)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
/\/\This/\/\ is one of the reasons why I love this site.

OP isn't necessarily offended but SteveL is circling back to clear the air, admitting that we all started somewhere.

Love me some CB

Gotta cover your bases or you could end up a super dick

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks all,

Good luck.. patience, patience..

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Most new intake manifolds are made without that port.
I've sold old intake manifolds that had the port when the buyers really thought they cooled better. %)
I had both ends open on my old edlebrock manifold ;D.I had a mechanical gauge on the back of the engine and the stock one on the front.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run an factory 85 Mustang HO aluminum intake and it has water passages across the back also.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ideas where the 351 came from? There are low rise 4v intakes out there, i think torino of the late 60'2 early 70's come to mind. Low rise helps with hood clearance. I had a 351 with 4v low rise and 4bl carb, in my 73 with no BL.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
manifold

The holley sniper occupies the original coolant temp port. If I tap and create a new temp port in the rear and install the sending unit, will I get an accurate temp reading for the gauge cluster? Most of the new intakes do not have enough ports when installing aftermarket fuel injection. It would seem the manufacturers would be going the opposite way and adding more temp ports due to popularity of after market fuel injection.