• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacement Sheetmetal Rear Bed

Rocko1012

have a lot of new sheet metal going on my EB. It comes with weld through primer on it. Does metal need to be scuffed up to lay primer/paint? Or can you paint right over existing primer. Would it be easier to paint bottom of panels prior to install?
Does anyone Know measurements on where the rear bed floor support should be welded to bottom of bed.

Attachments

• 100_4839.jpg
    100_4839.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 78

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
paint

It is ALWAYS better to scuff. At least with a scotch brite. Preferably sand paper.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There's 2 things I would do to check paint adhesion of the coating on the panel. take a piece of duct tape and stick it on good and then pull it off at less than 90 degree angle.

Then I would take a rag with the solvents you are using for paint or primer and wet the rag and cover it with foil and let it sit for an hour or so on the surface you are testing. After it sits take it off and see if the coating peels any. If it peels the choice it up to you to remove it or seal with an epoxy primer before coating over it. These are pretty harsh tests but otherwise you risk separating in the final paint you would be pretty pissed if that happened.