• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I Have Gas

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Curious who opened this thread ;)

Dumb Question about gas - I removed my main tank in December to do some welding in the rear. Tank is 3/4 full and I did not add any stabilizer to the gas. Can I still use it or should I pump it out and get new gas? How long does gas last before it breaks down?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I would think it would still be good. I have let my truck sit for longer periods of time without starting it and it was fine. I would run it in mine. Just my opinion, I have no science to back up my statement.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
If it ethanol I would pump it out. Non ethanol regular gas around here last a several months.

Just my experience

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
should be ok, but isn't that going to be kinda hard putting the tank back in with it full of shifting gas? dump it in to a bucket and make some napalm with it by adding some packaging Styrofoam peanuts to it...great stuff! ;):D:eek::D

Tugross302

You can usually smell it and tell when it turns bad. This ethanol stuff doesn’t stay good as long

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'd pour it out. In my world I try to eliminate as many problems as I can before they get a chance to hurt me.
I bring old gas home from ourNew Mexico each year & it always is tough to use up.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Pump it into some cans with some Sta-Bil (or some BHT the food preservative) and you have a big supply for your lawn mower/chainsaw.....

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hell if you want to make good use of it.. POUR it on RED AUNT BEDS. & Pitch a match at them.
......GOOD WAY TO TEACH THE GRAND KIDS WHAT THEY DON'T NEED TO KNOW!!!

Ranchtruck

The gas was in since this december? So 2 months? Unless you stored the tank in the sun and it's been 70+ out the whole time, it's fine. If it's still clear, it's fine. If it's starting to look very slightly yellow tint, don't run it in a carb engine, EFI only. If it's noticably yellow, don't run it in anything. It will glue the valves into the guides after running for a bit.

Unless it's a Buick 3800, then disregard, it will run on anything. We keep a fleet of them at the junkyard for dead gas disposal. Mix orange nasty gas with 25% good gas and they'll idle all day long. At the end of the day I rev the piss out of them to clear the cats out and suck oil down the guides. Gets rid of about 5gal a day per car.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
2 months? That's it? Run it. I just drove the '77 to work today and I parked it back in October. Zero worries about it. I know of LOTs of people and vehicles that will sit longer than that (with regular pump gas in them) and are driven. Our big forklift at work rarely gets used, carbureted, goes months at a time between fill ups. Never treat that gas.

When you start getting over 6 months, time to do a sniff test and check if it is going bad.