• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Rust Repair Questions from a Newbie

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Hey guys - want to tackle the biggest problems first. Fortunately, there is minimal rust on my 74. The doors are the worst of it. Please see attached photo. Rust holes through the bottom of the doors only. My questions are as follows:

(1) Repairable or look for some other doors?

(2) Do door skins cover the bottom of the door or just the outside? Stupid question I know.

(3) DO they make/sell sheet metal patches or is this something that needs to be custom fabricated?

Other than the rust on the bottom of both doors, they are in reasonably good shape, with no other issues, maybe 1 dent.

Appreciate any and all advice here.

Attachments

• Bronco Door.jpg
    Bronco Door.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 146

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
One of the vendors sells the bottom of the door body. Skins are just the outer skins. Save the door or not? Well only you can decide but look around for some used doors. Maybe their price will be the deciding factor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Searched hij and low on every vendor's site for lower (underside) patch panels. Nothing. Only thing I see ate complete door shells for $500 each...

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get a used door. To repair that is a nightmare. Do a search on skinning a door and you'll see what a pain it is for a novice and you'll have to do that to repair your door.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Thanks. Starting to that myself. Was thinking of cutting out all the rust and trying to bend some sheet metal and tac into place to minimize bondo but not sure it will work or I can make it look halfway decent...

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Here's what I did when faced with that on a pair of doors we were makinto trail doors... No, I didn't mud over the cardboard. Used that for a pattern, then cut a piece of sheet metal from the pattern. Tacked it on, then hammered the corner around and booger welded it in. After all the repairs were done, shot the inside of the door with POR15... Should last a few years at least. And on trail doors will get completely destryed anyway. For you, this would be a way to fix it for now so you can find nicer doors and not have to make a desperation purchase.:cool:
(also a quick video after welding-- camera man pushed the wrong button %))

006.jpg

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
Lmc truck has the door shell lower portion. 49-7792 I would say if you use it your going to have to skin the door. Welding in the entire lower section of the door will take a decent amount of skill and hopefully the replacement part is decently stamped and formed to begin with. Not sure if you have any body work experience but I would say sectioning a door isn't a great place to start.

1971Bronco1971

Loc.
Boston
I was in a similar position as you and I was going to reskin them, and I was much better going with new doors, and mine actually looked a little better than yours. Just my 2 cents

wheelsblank27

Loc.
Get some used, prolly cost 500$ for both 100 +-, if yu haven't done a few patches on flat sheetmetal, don't go skinning that cat yet.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Remember the door skins are not flat they have a curve. Not much but it's there. Weld flat to curved and you now are going to ruin the door. Get new doors and sell yours to the door.