• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MACKDDY build thread

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So now back to hammering on the Bronco. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now. i've got a painter lined up and hoping to start painting in early July after i get back from a business trip to China.

I have my to do list and try to get a few things done each day. I've arranged to take fridays in May and June off, plus the memorial day week off to get the body ready for paint.

the air and heater boxes are rebuilt and ready to go.

IMG_3718.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

i fabbed a little screen to keep leaves and crap out of the cold air intake

IMG_3722.JPG

the windshield frame im using was originally vacuum wipers but had been converted with new holes. i welded up all the vacuum holes and made new hold down nuts and keepers as they were pretty loose.

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3733.JPG

Hank

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This past weekend i cut into the new front fenders for badges, lights and antenna.

IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

My to do list ebbs and flows but steady progress each and every day. I want all the bolt on stuff to be ready by the time the body is out of paint so that the assembly wont be waiting on parts.

Hank

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Good to see ya back at it Hank! Sorry to hear you had to pass the Rock of Gibraltar though. :-X

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Looking real good Hank, glad to see someone making progress between trips, it gives me hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Cant wait to see ya this weekend...keep after it! Tell you buddy about saturday as well

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. some updates on the build.

all body panel work basically done with hi build on just about everything. i finished up the work on the body and hood this past weekend and shot another coat of primer over both. braces go back in so i can lift it and get primer shot on the bottom side this coming weekend. I feel like im getting the hang of the paint gun. this round of primer came out much better than what i shot at the prime-a-que in July. Im traveling almost all of October so im pushing super hard to get as much of the primer work done as possible so i can button up for the winter.

Im also hoping to shoot color on the dash this weekend so that i can attach all the gauges, knobs and harness over the winter.

getting close Boys.....

Hank

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Nice job hank....won't be long now!

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Looking good mack daddy! You are on target to beat all us slackers who aren't traveling!

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
well Guys, its the end of another build season here. fall cleanup, hunting season and 4 months of skiing are next on the to do list. Lots of progress this year, but short of getting color on as i had hoped. In all, i was out of the country or tied up with work for almost 50 days this build season and that was the killer. Regardless, im really happy about the progress. Over the winter i will get the dash assembled and ready to hang. almost everything else is either ready to bolt on, or nearly ready.

Dash has base color and clear on it;

11.5.17.5.jpg

11.5.17.7.jpg

11.5.17.6.jpg

all the body panels at least are primed, and most have high build on as well and in storage. door shells need to be bonded. i have a little bit of filler cleanup to do in the spring, but the body will be ready for high build and color by May i think (hope).

11.5.17.1.jpg

11.5.17.2.jpg

11.5.17.3.jpg

11.5.17.4.jpg

i will be watching out for black friday deals to grab the remaining parts i need and try to relax a bit.

until then, best wishes, happy hunting, and as always, thank you for the support, intel, inspiration, parts, helping hands and all that is great about us!

Hank

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Looking good Sir! Spring will be here before you know it. Enjoy the ski season and then back to the grind!

Have a good one!

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
well folks, here is the winter overview and new build season schedule;

went to Germany for work just before Christmas;

berlin 1.jpg berlin2.JPG

Skiing; 59 days on snow despite falling and dislocating right shoulder the second weekend of the season, followed up with another fall late February, this time breaking my left arm and cracking a couple of ribs (translation, if you dont appreciate how complex and important the shoulder joint is, just try to get a good wipe without a working joint...);

arm.JPG

finished up my Level II instructor certification;

II pin.JPG

GF and i went out west to ski Salt Lake and Jackson Hole area just as the blizzard hit the northeast. we skied 7 straight days, 130k vertical and had decent fresh snow almost every day.

jhole1.JPG jhole2.JPG

we had some spare time on arrival day so we buzzed up to Ogden to make a visit to Tom Wood's shop and order my new driveshafts. great shop and the shafts were done and on my doorstep before we got home

toms.JPG

towards the end of the season they made me a supervisor of one of the learning areas. now im semi-famous :)

https://www.facebook.com/patspeakskiarea/videos/10156200492658810/

somewhere amidst the busy ski season, i managed enough bandwidth to get my gauge cluster face plate powder coated and out to Kevin at Classy Gauges for a rebuild

gauge cluster.JPG gauge cluster 2.jpg

an unwelcome visitor made an appearance in my bedroom one night

batman.JPG

late in the winter my boiler started circulating a lot of air. i knew it was on its last legs and fortunately caught the leak before it got too bad. bottom line, i have the bulk of a decent start on a Bronco project in the form of a new boiler....

furnace2.JPG furnace1.JPG

all of that made for a very busy winter.......

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
better than it letting go while gone skiing!!

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As the snow began to recede, thoughts shifted towards the upcoming build season and what to do. the general idea being to finish it up this season and actually drive it. dust off the to do list and at least write down what needs to be done. i keep this spreadsheet updated several times a week as i check items off or think of new things to do.

to do.jpg

im hoping to check the last of the mechanical stuff and paint the underside around memorial day weekend and then paint the topside around july 4th.

for those that have seen the invite, i've scheduled a "Start-a-que" for the weekend of July 28/29 for first crank!!!

so far, im on track for these dates, so keep watching for updates.

As a final bit of travel before the real start of the build season, i was in Germany to audit one of our plants. Those that know me know i like my beer and my concerts. Springtime in Munich was in full bloom while i was there and it was perfect biergarten weather...

keller1.JPG andechs1.jpg andechs2.jpg hirsch1.jpg

as schedules sometimes work out ;-) Metallica was in Munich my last night in town and i was fortunate enough to score a ticket!!!!

metallica munich 1.JPG metallica munich 2.jpg

Now its down to grinding out details, finding parts that I know i've already bought, figuring a way through obstacles and setbacks, getting this done, but enjoying the ride at the same time.

I feel so blessed to be part of this community that has helped me along the way, put up with my sometimes stupid questions, and showed up in my dooryard for work days. I would still be staring at a pile of junk without you all. thank you so much.

Hank

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
that truck was never JUNK!! it has been great to follow along with all of it...you are a good dude hank jr!

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I’m looking forward to some work this n Broncos this year. I may even work on mine!!!