• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

200 inline to 250

chipk

I have a 200 in a 66 and plan to swap to a 250 inline 6. Need some help with a parts list if anyone has done this lately.

What bellhouse is used for a manual 3 speed application?

What clutch/flywheel/harmonic balancer?

Starter?

Any other advise would be appreciated...

Thanks!

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I remember correctly, the 250 has the small block Ford bellhousing. Same as 302/351.

CraigS

The 250 is indeed the small block Ford bellhousing pattern. Block is the same except for that and it's an inch taller than the 200. Because of that inch, I'm not sure what accessory brackets still fit so get those if you have them with the replacement engine. Engine is internally balanced, so if you have a 289/302 flywheel, you can have the counterweight shaved off if you can't find a 250 flywheel. Not sure on the balancer, I'll be getting to that shortly on my own.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Do you have any lift? I had one with a 250 way back when and without a suspension lift IIRC there are clearance problems with the oil pan and front diff. The 250 block is about an inch wider so a 170 or 200 pan won't fit.

I think the 250 uses a 10" clutch. It is as mentioned a SBF bellhousing pattern so a stock bronco or truck bellhousing would work. You would then use the Bronco V8 starter. Try looking at parts for a '74 Country Squire. It is a stock 250 application.

bmbm

250 swap info

I did my 250 swap several years ago and found a 250 flywheel on ebay and a bell from a 289 Mustang but I was doing a NV3550 swap at the same time. If you go to fordsix.com and see the info from jimmyv65 he went with the 250 and the existing 3 speed trans. Hope the link below takes you to his description of the steps.

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=70194

bmbm

250 acc brackets

The accessory brackets are different on the 250 so as stated make sure you get them if you can on your donor 250 and the air filter housing and take a look at the donor throttle cable and gas pedal it might be good to have. I slotted the holes in the motor mounts to drop it a bit but not really sure if that was needed but I also have 1" body lift.

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I love the 250/zf5 combination in my 71'
You can use a truck sbf bell housing, and a clutch and flywheel for a 300 i6(11") bolts on and works perfectly, the flywheel pressure plate throw out bearing and starter all need to be matched, 70-80's for the 3spd/np435 , 90's for a zf5/m5odr2,
Save your self some hassle, change to the 1969-1972 early pre smog timing set before you put it in.
74-75 Maverick motor mounts are a huge improvement over the bronco ones, the oil pan is a problem, even with a 2-1/2" lift I smashed mine. There is some good info on modifing it to work over at Ford six performance.
You need the 250 harmonic balancer (vintage inlines).
Also I recommend getting v8 radiator mounts and using a reverse flow v8 radiator like this one.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Champion-Coo...1%26rvr_ts%3D63b134e21630a9cad6427e85ffee389d

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I did my 250 swap several years ago and found a 250 flywheel on ebay and a bell from a 289 Mustang but I was doing a NV3550 swap at the same time. If you go to fordsix.com and see the info from jimmyv65 he went with the 250 and the existing 3 speed trans. Hope the link below takes you to his description of the steps.

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=70194
That's the thread I was speaking of, for the oil pan mods,
As far as np435/3spd clutch linkages, you can re use all of the 6cyl stuff except the equalizer tube and the bell housing bracket, but the stock v8 ones slip in almost no modifications ( had to grind the bell housing a bit and stack some washers) good luck!

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I used 74+ 250 accessories, and had to trim my inner passenger fender to clear the altinator, a buddy has a 250 in his bronco and just moddified the 200 brackets so they would work, and line up, it actually made for a cleaner install, I think if you could find them 1969-70 mustang 250 brackets would be the best option!

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
You will also need the 250 exhaust manifold and down pipe, or a header, the 200 exhaust pipe will be too short and possibly to small od, to bolt on you could just cut and extend the 200 pipe, (I (did for a while) but it super heat's the starter motor.... that became an issue and got changed after the 3rd starter in 2 months, haha!

jimmyv65

Hey! Jimmyv65 here! My thread from Ford Six gets hit every once and a while and I am glad it helps people.

A couple thoughts on the oil pan:
-I ended up also putting on large bumps stops that are available at all the big outlets. If I had seen those before, I wouldn't have messed with the pan mod. Unless you really need the full suspension travel, those bigger bump stops will do you fine.
-It may be worth your time to test your actual clearance. Take out your springs and drop the suspension down to see where things are at. Part of why I say this is that our suspension moves in an arc due to the track bar, so your best measuring may not be accurate.
-Those 250's weren't really designed for higher power. With that, I was able to get my motor into oil starvation pretty easily. I adjusted the pick up height, added an internal oil dam to lower sloshing and went to a bigger oil filter. All this helped reduce oil starvation. Part of why I mention this is that the notch I took out of the pan reduced oil capacity, which may have added to the oil starvation. That pan on the 250 sucks. The pick up seemed to be high and the pan allows the oil to easily slosh out of the pick up area. If you are modding the pan, add some oil baffling/dams.

Quick thought on the 250 carb:
-I ended up swapping to fuel injection and I am loving the fuel set up.
-The standard adapter plate for the 2bbl upgrade is sketchy. It works, but it makes the carb mount 90 degrees out from design. With that, I was having all kinds of carb tuning issues under heavier load. Because the float bowl was on the side of the carb instead of the front, I was getting fuel starvation on the front jet during hard acceleration. Be careful there if you are going with a 2 bbl.

Hindsite:
-I would have gone to the 300. There is a TON of mis-information on the differences between the 300 and 200/250. The 300 is almost the same length and it is about same weight.
-Advantage to the 250 is that the motor mounts don't need to change. I've seen a lot discussed on the 300 and what all need to be changed. Many of the 300 swaps involved a longer trans, which added to the issue.
-The 300 has a ton more options and doesn't have the integrated log manifold. That integrated manifold really limits you.

That said, my 250 with cam, head and FI is a great set up. I have a ton of power. It feels more powerful than a stock 302. The straight sixes are just great in the Bronco. I really enjoy my 250! Just saying that knowing what I know, I would have gone with a 300.

Hope this helps.

-Jimmy

EB70

Good morning Jimmy,

What type of MPG are you getting with what type of set up? Gear ratio, tire size driving conditions?

I really like EB's because they are simple and easy to fix. Inline 6's only make that easier.

I ask because I am a bit of a parts hoarder and I have a lot of stuff including both a 250 and a 300 I am considering swapping into a 66.

Thank you, ROB

jimmyv65

What type of MPG are you getting with what type of set up? Gear ratio, tire size driving conditions?

Hi Rob,

I don't have good info for you. I don't track my mileage. I have 4.11's and do a lot of shorter city drives. With that, my numbers would be low. Maybe that is why I never check it. ;D

Sorry I wasn't able to help.

-Jimmy

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
There's an OZ head with a separate intake supposedly available. How common are those to find? I know that there was a limited production aluminum head made here in the States, but it seems like those would be unicorns.

I had a 300 in front of a C4 in a '66 Econoline long body with a 3.0 geared 9" (replaced the original 240). That thing got its best mileage going 80 flat towing the dune buggy and it was amazing what it could do. The stock intake and particularly the stock Carter YBD or something carb, all that would fit in that engine bay w/o hacking it, really sucked. I mean it really sucked, I battled and battled that thing. If I owned it now I'd do an EFI swap in a heart-beat. Inline 6 cyl engines are just too long for good fuel distribution with a single carb. The center cyl's run rich and the end cyls run lean.

EB70

No worries, just curious. My 66 has the 170 and I am looking at swap options.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
better 'sm6' head; 'big6' improvement

There's an OZ head with a separate intake supposedly available. How common are those to find? I know that there was a limited production aluminum head made here in the States, but it seems like those would be unicorns.

I had a 300 in front of a C4 in a '66 Econoline long body with a 3.0 geared 9" (replaced the original 240). That thing got its best mileage going 80 flat towing the dune buggy and it was amazing what it could do. The stock intake and particularly the stock Carter YBD or something carb, all that would fit in that engine bay w/o hacking it, really sucked. I mean it really sucked, I battled and battled that thing. If I owned it now I'd do an EFI swap in a heart-beat. Inline 6 cyl engines are just too long for good fuel distribution with a single carb. The center cyl's run rich and the end cyls run lean.

Yes, Classic Inlines has had a fantastic alu head produced Down Under 4 us here in USA 4 decades. The developer died & Matt has come back with it at vintage inlines dot com (along w/'all things motor' 4 ALL i6 motors).

The 300/240 can B 'modernized' to avoid the pitfalls (swap in a 5 speed too?) thru some pretty good suggestions over on fordsix dot com.