• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'Non Full' Family Roll Cages?

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I know of several vendors that will not build a unit that does not have down legs in the front, along with myself, I'm a builder but do not consider myself a vendor.

I have watched the BC video and yes it worked, would I want to bet my life on it? No. However it is better than nothing at all and I would rather see someone run it vs nothing. I consider crawlers edge the same, there is no significant structure in the windshield frame. Now if it had reinforcements for the windshield frame and door pillar area I'd be all for it. I may just be a bit over criticle and probably over engineering it. My take on it is always what's my life, my wife's life and my kids life worth? I'll over do it every time, and that's how I look at for my customers as well. And yes I've been upside down more times than I can count doing things that the risk was known. It's the ones that aren't known that will jump up and bite in ways that are unimaginable.

I said it earlier and will elaborate. I've put Bailie's basic family cage in 2 bone stock restored bronco's that were really nice. Both of them drove better by being more responsive and felt more rigid like a modern vehicle. They were also quieter with fewer rattles creaks and moans
Hey Yeller,I toldly agree.Ive notice that the newer jeeps,have the bar, that goes from the rear bar to the window frame and don't see a vertical bar up front, are their window frame stronger than the bronco frame?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The Jeep better or not? Who knows, your not testing apples to apples, but the modern Jeep has to be concerned for NTSB modern roll over standards. The Bronco had no such standard at the time it was built. Their are enough nasty pictures out there to cause concern for anyone out there really trying to protect life and limb. For those people go buy a Volvo.

As for top heavy cages, while a concern, it may be a moot point with heavier tires, heavy bumpers and heavy sliders not counting a whole bunch of other modifications. Center of gravity is one thing that counts, but for me wide soft sidewalls on the tires are a bigger concern. its more than just going up. Ask Ford about the old Firestone 500 Tires, or the mess with the safety riddled Ford Explorers. Bad shoes and you trip over your own feet.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Great feedback, Thank you. What do you guys think about the WH Family Custom Cage?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Ive notice that the newer jeeps,have the bar, that goes from the rear bar to the window frame and don't see a vertical bar up front, are their window frame stronger than the bronco frame?

They most certainly must be to meet current FMVSS standards. Digger 556 might chime in on this item as he's done a lot of work in this area mimicking some of the Jeep stuff in the design of his cage.

Todd Z.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Hey Yeller,I toldly agree.Ive notice that the newer jeeps,have the bar, that goes from the rear bar to the window frame and don't see a vertical bar up front, are their window frame stronger than the bronco frame?

Having worked on newer jeeps yes the frame is stronger, strong enough? Is a good question, i do know they still fold up but are "rated" for roll over. I know a few folks that have had some terrible on road crashes where they rolled multiple times and those folks all survived without major injury. They all say the factory high back seats and roll bar did its job. one is convinced that even with the cage the factory seating in their bronco would have killed them due to extreme whiplash.

I partially agree with if you want it as safe as a Volvo, buy one. But there is no reason to not take what I would consider reasonable precautions, besides good seats are comfortable and a cage makes it better in many ways.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I agree there is allot to improve upon an old Bronco but for the most part its not going to race NASCAR or the Baja 1000.

My biggest fear is still going tumbling down the freeway at 65 mph. Offroad, more of a flop over on its side spilling gas all over the place. I feel pretty well protected with my cobbled up 8 point cage 2" Od .120 wall cage. Factory seats with added headrests and 3 point shoulder belts and rectangle tube rock sliders. A pair of 2X6 steel tube bumpers and receiver hitch and hidden front winch. A 2.5" lift to keep it low enough without going over board and no body lift. We need an AP that can take your weight, width, length, and height, and wheel base and produce a center of gravity and roll over angle projection.

I have a friend who went big on his Jeep and had no problems but was running with no spare tire. He decided to hang his tire off the back and climbed obstacles he had climbed before and he slow rolled over backwards. A very expensive mistake. Unfortunately center of gravity is very hard to predict and just a little more and you done with very little warning.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
^^^ My focus is safety in moderate traffic conditions, some mild to moderate snow, and a few trails. Zero interest in traveling down the interstate at 70 MPH.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
BG, something to consider. Bailie will deliver to your neck of the woods in early November for free...... also might be able to swing something late in August. A few of us are going to WeRock in Dayton TN. And in my biased opinion it's the highest quality cage money ca buy.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
BG, something to consider. Bailie will deliver to your neck of the woods in early November for free...... also might be able to swing something late in August. A few of us are going to WeRock in Dayton TN. And in my biased opinion it's the highest quality cage money ca buy.

I will contact them. Thank you.

Weevil

Would you put your Granddaughter in it without front protection .

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
With the 77 that I am working on I pondered and thought and pondered some more about the cage I was going to put into it. It has a Fiberglass body so I wanted protection. I ended up getting a WH family cage and as we speak it is at a race car chassis builder getting mounts from the frame to the bar put in. He is also adding bars behind the rocker panels for side impact and convinced me to add high back buckets attached to the bar and 5 point harnesses for all riders. It is costing me quite a bit of $$$ but could I ever live with my self if one of my daughters were driving this and something happened because it was not safe! I know that what he is doing probably in most cases is way overkill but do I gamble on it......

mattyq17

Bronco Guru

I agree, my BIL(fabricator for a living) is building my cage and knowing that his son will be riding in it, he is making it as safe as possible as well as making entry relatively easy without sacrificing safety. Maybe you can order the back half of a family cage that you like and find a local guy who can design and weld up the front half? I had him take the A pillar behind the dash, pretty easy to do in a 66 only had to move the wiper switch. This way it is out of the way when you enter, and gets rid of the "S" at the bottom of prefabbed cages. Just a thought.

Attachments

• Cage11.jpg
    Cage11.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 134

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I agree, my BIL(fabricator for a living) is building my cage and knowing that his son will be riding in it, he is making it as safe as possible as well as making entry relatively easy without sacrificing safety. Maybe you can order the back half of a family cage that you like and find a local guy who can design and weld up the front half? I had him take the A pillar behind the dash, pretty easy to do in a 66 only had to move the wiper switch. This way it is out of the way when you enter, and gets rid of the "S" at the bottom of prefabbed cages. Just a thought.

Tell us about that truck in the background!

Todd Z.

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Tell us about that truck in the background!

Todd Z.

Todd,
I was wondering when someone would ask that question :D that's his buddies. His buddy owned it years ago, raced it, sold it, and then recently bought it back. My BIL is doing some cage modifications for him. That's all I know about it.

flexmerc

Contributor
I picked up a sport roll cage from Gordon at Bailie Bilt, great guy! He also shipped freight to freight to cut down cost, I took my trailer and picked it up this morning.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

We raised our three boys in the Bronco.
They got their licenses in it, and drove it for many years.
But...
I've removed and given away the rear seat. It's gone for good.
Grandkids are too precious, and a Bronco can't be made safe enough.
You be you, and I'll be me.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I picked up a sport roll cage from Gordon at Bailie Bilt, great guy! He also shipped freight to freight to cut down cost, I took my trailer and picked it up this morning.

Good call.. :)

Weevil

Guess it depends on if you like being alive . Drain Bamage is worse than death. Brain Damage is the point