• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint underneath the tub?

Crude dude

Im finally getting the ball rolling on the Bronco build. Chassis and suspension is nearly done so I have a friend replacing the floor boards for me since I do not have the patience to weld sheet metal. I have owned this truck for 20+ years and it was poorly painted pearl white when I bought it and I have put a number of flat black rattle can paint jobs on it since. After floorboards are complete I have a guy lined up to soda blast the tub inside and out, doors, windshield frame. I have new fenders and a pro-flow hood so I dont need those blasted. My question right now is what do I use to spray the bottom of the tub? I have seen good results with POR15 and I have personally used a 2 part epoxy paint on metal for work and that stuff is great but I do not know if there are any draw backs to using it on something thats going to flex and have rocks bounced off of it from driving. Ive used the 3M spray can before and not thrilled with how it looks after applying even though I hear it works pretty good. I have been told to stay away from bed liner because its hard to patch once it starts peeling underneath. Any suggestions?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm using KBS's Rust Seal.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/

Used it on the Frame and it came out beautiful. It flexes and won't peel if chipped like powdercoat will. If you're going to Soda blast it you'll have to etch it first or nothing will stick. I'm media blasting mine so I don't have that issue, but I think KBS's rust blast will etch for you. I'm mixing microspheres into the final coat for sound/heat dimming. I've heard others use POR15 for similar results. Others like rhino liner or lizzard skin, but Lizzard skin is just latex paint with microspheres according to other posts I've read. It really depends on what you want it to look like and how much you want to spend.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
There have been many on here (including myself) that bed line the underside of the vehicle with great results. Just like anything else, product and prep work are key. Raptor seems to be getting the nod as of late.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have restored 8 Broncos now. For best results I have had the bottom side bead blasted if needed, then epoxy coated or primed then Linex. When done this way your Bronco may never rust again. Ever. Also the LineX looks great! Should go on fairly thin and you can still see even screw holes when present. Seals completely.

LineX the bottom Black and the interior tub body color. The color match looks great and even has the metallic in it as the body does. The LineX extra also has Kevlar in it.