• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Graveyard Twin Sticks Question

Dogman71

Loc.
Chino Hills, CA.
I finally got my rig on the road yesterday after 31 years, ended up replacing my clutch from my previous thread of a stuck clutch, actually had a shop put in my Toms Bronco Parts Clutch, Flywheel kit and had them install my twin sticks I had purchased a year ago from Bronco Graveyard since the transfer case was off. It appears the twin sticks can only hit Neutral and Low, moving the sticks all the way back, I thought would be high but is actually Neutral. I'm using the stock cutout opening from my original T shifter, do I need to cut the opening more to allow the shifters to engage into high? If so, does anyone know about how much more of an opening is needed? Runs great but can't cruise around in Low..right now I'm feeling that I should have left the T shifter in or I'm a bone head and not positioning the twin sticks properly..

Just uploaded some pics. the first one shows the sticks as far back, the vehicle rolls so I'm guessing Neutral, the second pic shows the sticks as far as they can go forward, third pic is a side view showing them as far forward, not sure if they were installed improperly..

Attachments

• 20180314_175147 (2).jpg
    20180314_175147 (2).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180314_175224.jpg
    20180314_175224.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 61
  • 20180314_181656 (2).jpg
    20180314_181656 (2).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Sounds like you need to cut the hole in the tunnel larger. If you have a body lift, the hole will need to be bigger than one that doesn't. Neutral will be the center of the travel, so use the difference from neutral to low to figure, neutral to high. I'm surprised the shop released it to you like that. %)

Mark

OP
OP
Dogman71

Dogman71

Loc.
Chino Hills, CA.
It's a cool tranny shop that I have used in the past, I think if I find they installed improperly than they would honor correcting, I don't have a body lift yet but I'm planning on a 1" in the near future for larger tires, but you're right they could have checked into this further.

catfan

Contributor
With that body lift you differently need a bigger hole.

catfan

Contributor
It's a cool tranny shop that I have used in the past, I think if I find they installed improperly than they would honor correcting, I don't have a body lift yet but I'm planning on a 1" in the near future for larger tires, but you're right they could have checked into this further.

Oops, it looked like you had a body lift, my bad.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
You need a larger hole. At rear edge of present hole start cutting and removing about 1/2 " at a time until the twin sticks both engage in high range.

OP
OP
Dogman71

Dogman71

Loc.
Chino Hills, CA.
Makes sense, I just looked at the boot and cover plate that was provided with the twin sticks and the cover plate opening is about an inch longer than the stock opening, so I will still try cutting 1/2" at a time. Thanks for the info but man looks like the twin sticks will have an extreme angle in high, but maybe that's just the way it is..

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Heat and bend them to your liking.

Mark
I did that. Also there are some turnbuckle style linkages on the shifter that might be able to be adjusted so the rearward throw wouldn't hit the floorpan. I installed the M5OD on mine so the shifter arms had to be bent. Be careful bending them as they are stainless steel and a little harder to bend, I had to get them cherry red and one of them still cracked a little. Ken

OP
OP
Dogman71

Dogman71

Loc.
Chino Hills, CA.
Well, went larger on the tunnel cutout and the high is now engaged, I'm real happy with the position/angle of the twin sticks after all so no need to look into bending at this point. Last question, do most who have twin sticks drive the rear in High and the front in Neutral or both in High? I took her for a ride and she runs sweet! Thanks for everyone's help and input.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
If you are on pavement, I'd leave the front in neutral. Hope the twin stick works well for you. I really like mine. SO much better than the vague, worn out stock shifter...

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
front in neutral, no way I would want to back to a worn out j-shifter

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Any other questions feel free to contact us directly, we would be happy to help?

jon

OP
OP
Dogman71

Dogman71

Loc.
Chino Hills, CA.
Installed the boot and cover plate for the twin sticks. Worked out great.

Attachments

• 20180317_192457-2.jpg
    20180317_192457-2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180317_192817-2.jpg
    20180317_192817-2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 14