• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote Engine - Parts List and Info For Install

DCbus

That's a great question. I bought Tumblin's (similar to Tom's) and Krawlers Edge (similar to BC)... With the KE mounts, the engine was 2.250" lower which I liked, but I had to notch the frame to clear the headers and alternator. The problem I didn't like was the front diff pumpkin was only about 4" from the oil pan. I went with the Tumblin mounts which raises the engine up and you don't have the clearance issues. It does put the engine at about 7* which looks kinda funny but It's suppose to help with pinion angle.

There's a trade off for which ever route you go. There are a ton of little fitment issues you're going to run into, but it'll be worth it!

Here's my build thread which I discuss the motor mounts a little more.

Good built thread! I'm pretty much at the point you were a few months ago. I do like the higher mount option, but still debating. Great advice sticking with 1 brand for fitment.

You happy with using the POR15 on the frame so far, or if you did it again would you use something else?

MidwestTexan

Good built thread! I'm pretty much at the point you were a few months ago. I do like the higher mount option, but still debating. Great advice sticking with 1 brand for fitment.

You happy with using the POR15 on the frame so far, or if you did it again would you use something else?

It was quick and easy and it was nice to be able to touch up some scratched spots and spots I had to cut and weld... If I had to do it again, I'd get it blasted, then sand it and then powder coat it. For some reason I thought the POR15 was thick and would hide some of the crappy welds/slag from the factory but it didn't. It's a great product though.

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
If someone was to tackle this right now, based on parts available/backordered how long would it take to get what you need?

MidwestTexan

I think tracking down, ordering and waiting on shipping made up 50% of the total time I have in my build. That was the biggest pain in the arse for me. Once you have everything it’s really not to difficult to install. We’re at the mercy of what’s in stock...

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
I think tracking down, ordering and waiting on shipping made up 50% of the total time I have in my build. That was the biggest pain in the arse for me. Once you have everything it’s really not to difficult to install. We’re at the mercy of what’s in stock...

Did you go with the MARS swap kit?

ultrarunner7

Hey gents. I'm running the PBH harness. I've plugged every damn thing up and I'm getting nothing. I dont have a stock(painless, etc) harness in yet as mine is all new. I'm thinking my problem is with my ignition switch. I cant find anything definitive on wiring. The PBH harness has two leads... one marked "start", and the other is marked "key". Thoughts? I'm not gear head so I apologize in advance.

Jamie Chriss

I got my harness from Ford Performance, it go it quickly and it was cheaper. I have really tried to stick with BC, they are busy and most of the time are back ordered. I got luck I purchased most of the high need parts a year before I needed the,. I am still plugging away
waiting for body to be painted.

Halfwheeler

Does anyone have a recommendation for a source, for the shortened steering column ?
I've been told by many the the standard length ididit is too long. I see BC has one - anyone else?

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
Does anyone have a recommendation for a source, for the shortened steering column ?
I've been told by many the the standard length ididit is too long. I see BC has one - anyone else?

You should be able to just order a 30" Ididit column from their site or others. You'll need to order a new shaft and u-joints for your column to the steering box.

77BroncoTucson

Coyote Bronco oil pan?

I'm building a Coyote '77 Bronco with no body lift. Like most of you, I have to deal with the Spousal Acceptance Factor (SAF). The ride height will be 2-3 inches above stock...any higher and she will hate it. This is especially important because the SAF affects the financing of the project.

Has anyone come up with a solution for the oil pan without lifting the whole vehicle? I want the front axle to go up to the full stuff that it had stock and have 5-inches of up wheel travel without a big lift.

This is the Gen 3 Coyote with the composite oil pan. If all else fails, I'll buy a Gen 1 or 2 steel pan and modify it.

Jamie Chriss

Go back a few pages, Morroso has a relatively flat pan. You are going to struggle getting all that under the tub without allot of tweaking. What engine mounts are using?

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
Do a 2”BL and a 2.5”SL and convince her you have to do it that way for it to work but you can buy retractable powersteps that make it super easy to get in and out the Bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77BroncoTucson

Coyote conversion with minimal lift.

Still working on that Coyote conversion. Keeping it as low as I can; rollovers are the biggest peril with our Broncos. The axles will go up to stock full bump height. I will have it at 2-3 inches above stock ride height for more bump travel. But that's it and no body lift. As we all know, the Spousal Acceptance Factor (SAF) is hugely important. If the Bronco is lifted too high she will hate it.

Look at some of the Coyote conversions and you can see daylight over the tops of the differentials. I will not lift mine that high. I have been on trails where we were worried about our center of gravity.

Western Differential here in Tucson made me a custom 9" front axle with a 10" pinion offset. The Dana 44 has a 5" pinion offset. Had to do this because the 10R80 trans is so much bigger and longer than the old C4. The front drive shaft would no go from the Dana 20 transfer case to the Dana 44 without a huge lift.

With the 10" pinion offset, the pumpkin is so far to the driver side that I had to C-section the driver side frame rail to make room for up travel of the axle. The pumpkin was also interfering with the Gen 3 oil pan. That oil pan is composite and can't be modified, so I used a Moroso road race pan and modified it for clearance. I would post photos but am not geeky enough to figure that out.

I used motor mounts from BC Broncos. Have not figured out the radiator or hoses yet.

Now the Dana 44 with disc brakes is surplus. I know a lot of people would like to upgrade from a Dana 30 and drum brakes. What do y'all recon my Dana 44 is worth?

Beresb

I was going to ask if anyone has installed the 10R80, so I guess I have my answer with your post. Sounds like a nice build in progress!