• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford power steering gear

blknblu69v

My 69' Ford power steering gear is leaking bad. I don't feel like spending $350+ dollars to have mine rebuilt. Is there any other good options without spending a ton of money?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You can get a seal kit and put it in yourself. Not that bad of a job. Lots of tutorials on the internet for help. If it is just the pitman arm shaft seal, that is a pretty easy job. Ken

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2, It's easy to re-seal the box. You need to figure out what steering gear it is before you order the seal kit, 69 Bronco did not come with power steering.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blknblu69v

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll look into the part #s provided and some online videos for instruction. We have two more month of winter before I start taking it out, so I hope I can get it done by then.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
OP
OP
B

blknblu69v

paid my $12. Lets try this.

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 102

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's a stock 73-77 Bronco power steering box.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
B

blknblu69v

X3 get a seal kit (takes 2, one for in put one for output) and do DIY...

Oreilly's national brand seal, for p/s gear box sector shaft (input) seal part # 8659S $8.99, pitman arm (output) seal part # 340151 $11.99

Here are some (none applying) part #'s and a walk thru on a 73-79 Ford truck steering box seal replacement. Yes different part #'s, but about the same, job wise?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1338085-ford-truck-information-and-then-some.html#post14696828

So will these part #'s work for my steering gear?

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
You can buy a rebuild/seal kit, I think for about ~$30. It's not a terrible job, but it does take patience to get the ball bearings in correctly. The biggest issue I had was the teflon seals around the piston. I ended up buying another seal kit because I sheared part of one of the seals.

It's also something you don't want to screw up.

OP
OP
B

blknblu69v

I got the rebuild kit at my local auto parts. Had to slide the steering column out a little to remove the gear box. Gear box came apart pretty easy. Watched a couple videos on youtube. Also struggled with Teflon rings over piston then getting piston back into housing. Put a hose clamp around the Teflon ring for a few minutes, removed clamp and got the piston to slide in! Getting ball bearings back in was a little tedious but not bad. Now getting ready to re-install back in the Bronco. I'm glad I went with the DIY and not pay someone $350+ dollars!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Thanks ViperWolf for the confirmation. I ordered it on Amazon today. I took my box completely apart today including driving out the sector shaft bearings. Are both of these in that kit? I had to really thump on the sector shaft to get it out through the bearings.

I am trying find a Bronco specific video or guide - there are plenty of partial videos or manuals but I want to set everything back up correctly not leave some setting to the old way because I have wear somewhere. The fluid had some grey paste down in the bottom of the casting. The hard parts all look good they just need a polish or deburring.

34 ball bearings right??

Thanks.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks ViperWolf for the confirmation. I ordered it on Amazon today. I took my box completely apart today including driving out the sector shaft bearings. Are both of these in that kit? I had to really thump on the sector shaft to get it out through the bearings.

I am trying find a Bronco specific video or guide - there are plenty of partial videos or manuals but I want to set everything back up correctly not leave some setting to the old way because I have wear somewhere. The fluid had some grey paste down in the bottom of the casting. The hard parts all look good they just need a polish or deburring.

34 ball bearings right??

Thanks.

Only one of those bearings will be in the kit. You'll need to get another. It's a Torrington BH2020.

Make sure the sector shaft isn't bent. That makes it difficult to get them out.

You can use any saginaw steering manual but just be aware that the Bronco box is a reverse rotation version. All manuals I've seen are specific to standard rotation. CW and CCW will be backwards from the manual instructions. Everything else should be the same.

34 balls is correct for a 6 turn box.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Thanks I'll order a second bearing so I have everything. I took a straight edge to the sector shaft and it is bent slightly from the splines down. Maybe .003 I did not measure it. Hopefully that is ok there is not much I can do about that.