• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W Transmission Suggestions

OP
OP
H

HyeBronco

Also you are all correct with the Rpm. It’s about 2900 going 60. I’m not mechanically Davy and the shop I’m going to really likes the Lentec. Only thing is that they are in Canada. Their transmission is different than others. I will post what’s on their site.

Lentech Automatics is a highly regarded provider of quality AOD and 4R70 transmissions and products. This reputation has been earned over 20 years and has origins similar to many performance aftermarket companies: one automotive enthusiast building something he couldn’t buy. As a licensed transmission tech, mechanic and avid drag racer, Len Bertrand recognized the need for a performance overdrive transmission around 1990 when his personal project car ( 1979 Capri ) was fitted with an AOD to replace the C4 with lackluster results. Within weeks of installation, the transmission failed. After carefully examining oil circuit diagrams, it was determined the factory shift pattern had been a major factor in the transmissions early demise. Upon this discovery, Len constructed the first AOD valvebody with a 1,2,3/4 shift arrangement. It was soon after, other local enthusiasts began to request that these modifications be performed to their own project cars. As a result of growing interest and demand for the transmission, Lentech Automatics was founded in 1994. Innovations continued with transbrakes and the Reverse-Third technology which received a US Patent, as well as product offerings for the AODE/4R70W. In 1999, Chris Nugteren was brought on as Lentech’s first full time employee. Lentech gained notoriety through publications in numerous magazines over the next several years and came to be considered the leader in Ford Automatic Overdrive products. Most recently, in 2013, Lentech Automatics was purchased by long-time employee Chris Nugteren, and the “New Lentech Automatics” looks forward to continuing to provide the best products along with exceptional service into the future.

nick1975bronco

I was just playing on google about a month ago and stumbled upon the silver fox site. Yes lentech I for got about them out in Richmond Ontario. He is well known and has great stuff. Thanks for reminding me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Please don't suggest the AOD. That was 80's automotive engineering. Actually late 70's and first put out in '80. There is a reason it went away and evolved into something good, the 4R70W. AOD has funky engineering that has not been duplicated by anyone for good reason. Lost manual 2nd, funky split lockup in 3rd and always bypassed convertor in OD. There are some aftermarket fixes for some of the problems, but often they create new ones. You have to go to electronic controls to get the selectable lockup convertor. The computer controlling it is what makes it so nice.

You completely missed my point since it is the same one you are attempting to make.