• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tilt Steering Column

chaynes12

I have a 1969 model. 3 speed manual on the column. I am looking for a tilt steering column that will work on my truck. Everything I find seems to only be compatible with an automatic. Am I missing something here? Also, took my old steering column out today and the steering shaft was one solid piece. In videos I saw online, the guys had to take apart and connect a new upper shaft to the lower one. Mine seems to be one solid piece. I don't know if its the particular year model or what.

So, is there a tilt steering column that accommodates a 3 speed on the column?
And, why is my steering shaft one solid piece instead of an upper and a lower?

Thanks

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Nope.

You need to convert to a floor shift.
Duff has an excellent one.

Then all the vendors sell a tilt column. Most are Flaming River units and GM based. WH has a Ford looking version that tilts.
Folks used to use 73-79 F-150 or 78/79 Bronco tilt columns but it ain't a bolt in. And I hear it doesn't tilt as much as folks want.

Check out WH column.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Everything I find seems to only be compatible with an automatic. Am I missing something here?

Just no demand (or has not been traditionally at least) for a three-on-the-tree tilt column.
Most who are spending on a new column have either switched to a floor shift, have an automatic, or have upgraded to a trans with more than three speeds.
And very few four-speed on-the-tree columns exist out in the OE world either.

The columns and how they mount is not an issue for your '69. The columns' wiring is not a problem, as even the later wiring typically used is easy enough to make work with the different year Broncos.

Also, took my old steering column out today and the steering shaft was one solid piece. In videos I saw online, the guys had to take apart and connect a new upper shaft to the lower one. Mine seems to be one solid piece. I don't know if its the particular year model or what.

Yep. All '66 to '72 EB's used a 1-piece shaft. In '73 (or very late '72) they went to the 2-piece shafts with rag-joint for better isolation of power steering vibrations. Then in '76 they started using the safter 3-piece version, with the lower slip-shaft that would collapse in an accident.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Steering_Shafts
In the old days safety stuff did not always apply. And trucks or utility vehicles often got them last.

So, is there a tilt steering column that accommodates a 3 speed on the column?

Probably from a junkyard donor, but not familiar with any new ones.
But it never hurts to keep an eye open on the Ididit and Flaming River sites to see if they ever come out with one. That kind of stuff comes slowly to the real world.

Good luck.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Back in the day tilt columns were mostly popular with guys who needed them to get their belly behind the wheel.
Those buyers usually went for automatic transmissions.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
i think there was a chevy maybe chevelle that offered a tilt column shift. I thought about making one once out of a 78/79 auto tilt and a 78/79 three on the tree but have never had two of them side by side to see if it is even possible. the tilt portion would have to be above the shift portion for sure

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I fabbed one up out of a T-bird. Since I already had floor shift it worked great. It actually has quite a bit of up-tilt to it and fortunately I have a smaller wheel or it would likely be right in the glass. I don't have the required "belly" but I do have a long inseam.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Nope.

You need to convert to a floor shift.
^^^^^ This, I went with a Ididit column tilt and a NV3550, but you can keep your 3 speed and just do a floor shift conversion, probably the most common upgrade for these rigs, and you can't go wrong with either the Ididit or Flaming River, both excellent choices. Good Luck. ;)

OP
OP
C

chaynes12

Thanks guys! Questions answered! Guess I'm just going to have to do without the tilt. It would be awesome if they made one for it though!