• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

If I Could Get Away With ??

G

Tell ing the wife that it would be a good thing to do? Change all universal joints and or CV joints, befor the new motor arrives? Idont know the actual condition of them? The weak link!! Or would it be a waste of time? I think thirty years is a long time, and I will be Very hard on the old things! very soon ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
If you havent replaced them at all before then you might as well do it now, better than doing it after they bust. Just tell the wife its for safety, that should work. Good luck.

hucklburry

Do it now. Much more convenient to change them on your schedule as opposed to theirs. I know. Also, either keep the old ones for spares or get extra while your at it for spares.<br><br>--Jim, aka "Johnny U-Joint" (more of a problem when I had a CJ).<br><br>

rednck21

yeah change them now....always better to change them when you have time in the garage and KNOW they are good than break one in the middle of the wood because you THOUGHT they were good... ;)

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I keep two spares (TRJ #20060) in the Bronco at all times. Nothing worse than hearing the needle bearings hitting the floor of the Bronco as you're going down the freeway.

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
[quote author=rocketdog link=board=5;threadid=8559;start=0#60973 date=1030678739]<br> Tell ing the wife that it would be a good thing to do? Change all universal joints and or CV joints, befor the new motor arrives? Idont know the actual condition of them? The weak link!! Or would it be a waste of time? I think thirty years is a long time, and I will be Very hard on the old things! very soon ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Just my marginally educated opinion, but definitely change them. It's also a good opportunity to check the splines and yokes on the front and rear shafts. If they haven't been worked in 20 years, you may be in for a shaft rebuild, and a very good time to do it is while the truck is already down.<br><br>Ed<br>

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Almost every time I've looked, it's been cheaper to just replace the driveshafts with new ones than to replace all the joints in an old one. Last I looked WH wanted about $225 for a new shaft, any length you want it. My local shop wanted about $285 to rebuild one I brought in.<br><br>I'd recommend new shafts, but that doesn't mean you have to break the bank to do it.<br>Joe