• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you cut fenders and quarter panels on early bronco?

rudygf@gmail.co

Loc.
Houston
Is there a template or instructions for cutting the fenders and quarter panels when using the plastic fender flares from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard or the like?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Find the center of the opening using a plumb bob to the center of the axle. Mark it. Tape your flares in position. They should conform to the shape of the sheet metal. Mark the inner or underside of the flare so you have enough material to support the flare and get your fasteners in. A saber saw with fine tooth blade works well. Some have advocated putting some thin carpet on the bottom of the saw to help it slide on the metal. Put your earplugs in both for the screams from the NO CUT folks ( I'm one of them!) and the racket. I did cut fenders for my race rig.....Have fun and post some pics.

EarlyBronc74

Loc.
Central Texas
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of LUBR voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

I wish mine was uncut but the fender flare look is nice.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
My advice is to get all four corners measured and taped before you cut. Make sure that the front and rear are perfectly aligned AND that the measurements are perfect on the left and right sides as well.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I’ve cut a number of Broncos - mainly replaced quarters on already cut Broncos. In fact I don’t think I’ve cut any stock rears in good condition. That said (to keep the screaming down! LOL), I usually mount them with zip screws BEFORE I cut. (After measuring and locating as already described above and marking where you want the mounting screws on the flare - spaced at 2-3 inches.) Then scribe where you want to cut with a sharpee using the mounted flare as a guide. Remove the flare and cut with a saber saw or a 3 inch cut-off wheel. Touch up paint the raw edge and remount the flare. I usually go back with stainless hex head bolts, washers and lock nuts by drillling out the zip screw holes. Do not rivet the flares - you may have reason to remove them for some reason in the future.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
To add to the above. When I cut my hood on my Mustang I used 2 coats of masking tape on the area to cut just so that the saw would not scratch the paint.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tape them screw in a couple of screws make sure they are level and centered

But even if you measure perfectly step back and take a good look at it with the tire on
To make it looks right it can be perfectly measured and not look exactly right

OP
OP
R

rudygf@gmail.co

Loc.
Houston
thanks to everyone for your responses, I actually have a Bronco that's already cut, but my fenders and lower quarter panels have a bunch of holes after the sandblast. I bought new replacements from Dennis Carpenter, maybe I can use my old ones as a template.

OP
OP
R

rudygf@gmail.co

Loc.
Houston
I'm giggling at millions of LUBR owners comment. I thought that less than half a million of Broncos were made between 1966-1977.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't throw the cutouts out. Put them up for sale in the parts section.

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Apologize for slight thread drift. Building first off-road and other rides are LUBR so no flare experience. Looking for off road paintable flare, and prefer hidden hardware connectors. Are there specific composites for off-road abuse and paint durability? Any disadvantage to hidden connectors ? All suggestions or comments appreciated. Thanks.

PS: using salvage rust bucket body !

suckerpunched

One more thing, if the size of your new flare allows it, make sure the top edge of the flare, which is probably not perfectly flat, Is as close as possible to being parallel to the body line above it.
If someone already mentioned this I missed it.

Attac

Contributor
I'm going to have to cut my fiberglass body when I get it and was wondering this same thing.

BD has the off-road version with the flared wheel openings all the way around already. It's like 300.00 option
Chuck

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Just a side note: if you have both fuel tanks don't center the flares between the two fuel caps.

Move mostly towards the auxiliary tank cap. If you only have main tank...forget what I said.

OP
OP
R

rudygf@gmail.co

Loc.
Houston
All good advises, many thanks. I will post mine for sale. I finally test drove my Bronco today after replacing my stock 302 with a Blueprint 347 stroker. It is insanely fast and dangerous. I need to update my steering gear box now.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
thanks to everyone for your responses, I actually have a Bronco that's already cut, but my fenders and lower quarter panels have a bunch of holes after the sandblast. I bought new replacements from Dennis Carpenter, maybe I can use my old ones as a template.

The new flares you buy will probably not exactly match the old flares on the Bronco so I would not use the old quarters as templates. I recommend getting WH Gorilla Warflares for their flexibility and durability.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I used Wild Horses warflairs and carefully laid out my screw holes on the flair. Instead of drilling the flair I used a leather hole punch to punch the hole in the flair so I didn't make mistakes in the flairs. Then you can use a couple of screws to temporary mount them in place. Hang them and step back. trust your eyeball to the body line. Get them properly centered and level before you go cutting anything. What ever you do don't draw the line on the outside of the flair and cut on the line it will really screw up your day.

Don't worry about the purest out there, I had their grief when I cut my Bronco front and rear 41 years ago. Everyone thought I was nuts back then too. Nothings changed in all these years. I never wished I didn't cut it. I just wish I had bought more Bronco's back when they were cheep.