• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

READ THIS FIRST - Master list of FAQ's to be written

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Following is the Master List of potential FAQ's to be written. Please look through them and reply in this thread if you're interested in writing one. I'll then add your name in red next to the question so others know it's being written. Please sign up for no more than 1-2 at a time. See the post after this one for more info. Thanks!

Axle & Gear FAQ
- What gears with what tires?
- Calculate gear ratio - Heinz 67
- Dana 44 vs. Dana 30 front axles
- Full size axle basics - crawln68
- Locker basics - SaddleUp
- 9" basics (widths, splines, lengths, big vs. med vs. small bearing) - SaddleUp
- Correct your speedometer after a gear or tire change

Body FAQ
- Early vs. late window frames - thegreatjustino
- Remove and store your hardtop - Bart
- Install flares
- Rocker panel options
- Hood shocks - TOFIC

Paint & Body Work FAQ
- Rust repair (patch panels) - Grunt1058 (floor panels)
- Rust coatings and prevention - Grunt1058
- Bondo how-to - 67bondobronc
- Automotive paint basics

Brake FAQ
- Disc vs drums - Admin
- Front disc options - 73stallion
- Rear disc options - bigpappa
- Power brake options
- Hydroboost - toddz69
- How to bleed brakes - Skiddy

Buying & Selling FAQ
- What's your Bronco worth? - Socal Tom
- What to look for when buying (common problems or rust, which years are better) - broncomanbrad
- Using a transport service
- Using an Escrow service

Electrical FAQ
- Basic automotive wiring
- Headlight options (H4, stock, halogen)
- Fix dim headlights - Bart
- Rewire options - 67bondobronc
- CB radios
- Tune your CB antenna

Engine FAQ
- Define terms:
- Swap a 6 cyl to a V8 - bfoldy
- 351 swap - Bart
- 5.0 swap
- Basic tuneup how-to
- Tune-up specs and fluid capacities
- Compression test - bigpappa
- Cooling basics - thesnake
- Pertronix
- Problems filling gas tank - MarsChariot
- Troubleshoot gas guage problems
- Vapor lock - 70_Steve
- 4BT diesel swap - Heinz 67
- EFI basics - SaddleUp
- Plastic bottle behind driver's side - MarsChariot
- Smog basics (what years, what equipment, CA specific items)
- Propane pros and cons - 66Gasgrill
- 6 cyl performance - 66Gasgrill

Interior FAQ
- Remove dash controls - Admin
- Heater trouble shooting - thesnake
- Popping hardtop (oil canning) - MarsChariot
- Seatbelts (3pt, 4pt, harness)
- Rattling liftgate/tailgate/tire carrier - MarsChariot

Steering FAQ
- Define terms: tie rod, track bar, drag link - brian72
- Bump steer - Broncobowsher
- Steering correction after a lift - Gummi Bear
- Inverted Y system
- PS box options - 67bondobronc
- PS pump options
- How to bleed PS pump
- Death wobble - Steve
- Alignment basics (camber, caster, toe-in)
- Steering shafts (Difference between years)

Suspension & Lifts FAQ
- Define terms: leafs, coils, travel, articulation, 4 link - Gummi Bear
- Body lift vs Suspension lift - SaddleUp
- Body lift basics - Skiddy
- Suspension lift basics - DebosDave'72
- Shocks (gas, oil, remote reservoir)
- How much lift do I have? - admin

Transmission
- Define terms: - DebosDave'72
- What are popular transmission swaps? - DebosDave'72
- Auto vs Manual - DebosDave'72
- What are trans ratios
- Auto shifter choices - Grunt1058
- Torque Convertors - Steve

Transfer case
- Define terms:
- T-shift vs. J-shift transfer cases (what years, shift pattern, ratios, oil)
- Calculate crawl ratio
- Benefits of a twin stick - Skiddy

Tools & Garage
- Tubing benders
- Air compressors & tools
- Welders - drscotch
- Onboard Welders
- Torque wrenches - Skiddy
- Tool checklist for offroad trips
- Garage electrical - Gummi Bear
- Garage floor sealers
- Garage heaters
- Garage cooling

VIN Decoding & Bronco ID FAQ
- Decode your VIN
- VIN locations
- Factory packages (Ranger, Sport, Explorer) - Admin
- Stroppe
- Vin reports - Admin
- How to decode Ford part numbers - MarsChariot
- What changed over the years? (this one is pretty well covered on the web, so maybe just a link to other sources (namely the History article that ToddZ wrote, which is probably the mostly widely distributed Bronco article on the net) - Toddz69

Wheel & Tire FAQ
- Define terms: backspacing, offset, sizing tires
- What size tires fit with what lift?
- Wheel basics (backspacing, bolt patterns, widths, steel vs alum)
- Beadlock basics

Last edited:
OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
First off, thank you to everyone who's helping out with this project.:cool: This will be an excellent resource for new and old members alike.

How to become a FAQ writer
If you'd like to write a FAQ please look through the Master List above. Any question without a name next to it is still available to write. If you see one you want to write please post in this thread. I'll then assign your name to it. Please DO NOT start a FAQ unless you've been assigned to it.

Once assigned you'll become the official "author" of that FAQ. Other members will be able to add their comments, but you'll be the only one able to edit the original post. The idea is that you'll review the follow up comments that others make and incorporate new info into the FAQ (if appropriate).

To write a FAQ just go to the correct sub-section in the FAQ forums and click the "start a new FAQ" button. The process is almost identical to the normal forums.

This Master List is just a starting point, so if you want to suggest a FAQ not already on the list just reply here and I'll edit the Master List accordingly. If someone's name is already next to a FAQ then it's already been written or is in process. Go find that FAQ, read it, and respond with comments if you think something should be added or clarified.

A couple of things about FAQ's:
  • They should be fairly simple and to the point. These aren't tech articles, so they don't need to go into every detail. Just cover the basics. You can always link to other sources or tech articles to give the reader more detail. If you find yourself getting too detailed let's turn it into a Tech Article and then do a simplified version for the FAQ.
  • Don't plagiarize. I can not stress this enough! Don't just copy info already on the web. It should be written in your own words.
  • If appropriate, end each FAQ with links to any resources you used or links to more detailed info.
  • Be accurate. Some FAQ's will be somewhat opinion based, but most are just gathering and stating facts. Please verify facts rather than just going off of memory.
  • Use the forums to help you out. Use the search feature or post a question to clear up anything you're unsure of.
  • Please end the FAQ with something like, "If you have anything to add to this FAQ please respond below." This helps people understand it's a group effort and their input is welcome.
  • When starting a FAQ the "byline" field is right below "title". It's basically a sub-title that gives just a little more info on the FAQ.

Sorry for all the rules. I'm just trying to keep these consistent so they'll be helpful to everyone. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
Jon,

what are you looking for on "- What are trans ratios" ?

do you mean for the popular swaps or just plain transmission rations theory>?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Jon, put my name by Death Wobble - I wrote a tech article on that topic for another site a year or so ago. I would also add another FAQ to the Trans topic for Torque Convertors; put my name by that.

I will also be repairing all of the trail (body) damage to mine (gotta do that every few years... :p ) and repainting it this winter. I'll take lots of pics and either write a tech article or FAQ answer on general body repair and painting. I have pics from when I narrowed the front of mine 8"; if there's interest I can do a writeup on that, with pics.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Jon, I can write the Early vs. late window frames FAQ. I've got a '66 and a '69 that will lend themselves well to explaining the differences

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Steve, Socal Tom, thegreatjustino & bigpappa - Done, done, done & done. Post when you're ready. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
El Jefe said:
Jon,

what are you looking for on "- What are trans ratios" ?

do you mean for the popular swaps or just plain transmission rations theory>?
When I wrote the list up I was thinking it would just be a chart with the ratios for populars transmissions. Looking at it again that's probably something that should just be added to the "What are popular transmission swaps?" FAQ which DebosDave'72 has already written.

Were you thinking something else? Like a more general explanation of how trans ratio affects driving? Or maybe final gear/crawl ratio? Just let me know if you've got something in mind.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Hey Jon. Sign me up to do a FAQ on Vapor Lock. I wrote a very wordy reply in a thread a couple years ago about what vapor lock is, what causes it, and what to do about it. It does read more like a Tech article, but I can edit it down to several one-liners about what to check and what to change. How 'bout if I email you what I had written a couple years ago, and you decide whether it's Tech Article material, and how you'd like the FAQ structured?

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
admin said:
When I wrote the list up I was thinking it would just be a chart with the ratios for populars transmissions. Looking at it again that's probably something that should just be added to the "What are popular transmission swaps?" FAQ which DebosDave'72 has already written.

Were you thinking something else? Like a more general explanation of how trans ratio affects driving? Or maybe final gear/crawl ratio? Just let me know if you've got something in mind.

Jon,

Do you think the gear ratios in your tech article that I linked to are enough? Or would you like me to add the gear ratios to the FAQ? I didn't think of that when I wrote it...

I do think that an FAQ on how gearing affects driving, with maybe a link to Miley's gear ratio calculator would be a good one! I don't feel like I have the knowledge to take it on though... but think it would be most helpful.

Dave

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
Just a suggestion how about a FAQ that shows Broncos of different colors. There are always posts saying show me your (Insert Color Here) Broncos. So you you would have a faq labled Colors or paint or something like that and then you could have the different color groupings under that.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Jon, how about one on how to identify what type of bolts are what. All I have is a copy of industy standards. But could be helpfull as to know what bolts are what grade. Just a sugestion.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Jon
I just pulled the big nono
I post in the body FAQ on hood shocks without being on the master list
Forty lashes for me
Sorry
TOFIC

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
TOFIC said:
Jon
Forty lashes for me
Sorry
TOFIC
smack,smack there ya go;D glad you added that so I now won't have to do the search thing for it when I do mine, good job;)

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
TOFIC said:
Jon
Forty lashes for me
Sorry
TOFIC
I'll let it slide this time.:p You're on the list now, and thanks for the FAQ. :)

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Skiddy said:
Jon, how about one on how to identify what type of bolts are what. All I have is a copy of industy standards. But could be helpfull as to know what bolts are what grade. Just a sugestion.
Sounds good. Are you voluteering to write it? :) There's a really good article on this over at Pirate.

Maybe also include basic torque info. There's are several charts floating around telling you what torque specs for what bolts if you don't have anything else (like a service manual) to guide you. They're generic, but give a good ball park.