• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hoses, who do you like?

Kalex

Contributor
Hi All,

Due to age, fluids composition, etc...I am replacing the majority of flexible hoses on my bronco. At present just fuel and antifreeze will be running through them(no brake fluid or power steering). With all of the new materials out there I was wondering who you guys like to get quality hoses from and the type? I know they can be very expensive, but if it’s worth it I don’t mind as it should be a long time before having to do this again. Thanks for any and all suggestions. FYI, I’ve looked at Russell performance, HPS, and some make of teflon(china) so far.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Hi All,

Due to age, fluids composition, etc...I am replacing the majority of flexible hoses on my bronco. At present just fuel and antifreeze will be running through them(no brake fluid or power steering). With all of the new materials out there I was wondering who you guys like to get quality hoses from and the type? I know they can be very expensive, but if it’s worth it I don’t mind as it should be a long time before having to do this again. Thanks for any and all suggestions. FYI, I’ve looked at Russell performance, HPS, and some make of teflon(china) so far.

I think the quality of the rubber hoses has improved from when Broncos were 1st built. Any of the name brand hose manufactures will last you a long time.
Gates, Dayco, Continental (which bought out Goodyear) will work.
For cooling, the next step up is buying silicon hoses. Wild Horses sells a set... If you bought them, I would expect them to last many years. Just use the correct clamps, not the standard clamps everybody sells. You need the internally banded type that does not cut into the outer jacket of the the hose like a regular clamp does.

For standard fuel hose, using the Gates Barricade brand is a good way to go. The inner liner is supposed to prevent the failure to the rubber that today's fuel mixes cause.

As far as some of the things you have mentioned, save your money. A lot is over kill or for Bling. Not needed for standard bronco driving.
But if you are doing Fuel injection, I do tend to use the Teflon lined braided fuel hose with russell/earls fittings at flex points. There are other manufacturers that have come out with new stuff that works well too.

OP
OP
K

Kalex

Contributor
904 Thx a lot. Just the info. I was looking for. Not concerned about bling at all, just functionality. I do want them to look decent, but black with braided nylon outer will work fine. Yes on the fuel injection.

BTW, I see you are in Morgan hill. I’m right across the bay in Marin county. Look forward to possibly meeting in the near future.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Can buy the Emissions Barrier or barricade hose with an EFI pressure rating. It is the only fuel hose that I buy, and I use it on "Push-Lock/Barb-tite" type hose ends.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
For my use I can't justify the silicone hoses. I'll never reuse a hose so they will certainly be replaced every few years. There always seems to be a reason to pull the radiator.%)
I just bought a full set of Gates hoses from Rock Auto. They have a great selection at an at a decent price.
Same with fuel hoses, however, the consequences of using cheap hoses on your fuel system are much greater. So get the good stuff for that.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I think the quality of the rubber hoses has improved from when Broncos were 1st built. Any of the name brand hose manufactures will last you a long time.
Gates, Dayco, Continental (which bought out Goodyear) will work.

Agree with this as well....