• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running the Jack O'brien JP rockeater gears

Are you happy with your JP rockeater gears

• Yep!

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No, would spend the money on a stak

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No, would buy the tera low

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No, shoulda stuck with the stock ratio

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN
Anyone running these? Thoughts? I understand that I can buy a Stak for the same price, but I do not want to modify my exhaust, mounts, driveshafts, etc to make the change.

Are the rockeater gears any good, are you happy with them? I run trails, rocks, etc. Not a lot of mud or sand.....so, I think the gear ratio will be fine.

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
I did the Terra low upgrade to the Dana 20 with the output shaft, very happy for not alot of $$.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I knew some people who were running them. Quality part, geared too low, too expensive. That loss of the window of gears between low and high range was often an issue. By the time you bought the gears and upgraded the output shaft there are better options now.

currently running tera-los, happy with them. Would like to go to a Stak

70_Steve

Old Guy
I had a long conversation with Jack Obrien (got the impression that it's not possible to have a short conversation with him), when I called to ask about his heavy duty detent springs.

Jack is a metallurgist by trade. He went into great detail about the difference between his gears and the stock Spicer and the TeraLow gears. There really is no comparison between the manufacture and heat-treating of his gears and any others. This accounts for the difference in price.

Unfortunately Jack does not have a Web site, nor does he advertise. He says he relies on word of mouth only. I did find out that he offers a full range of gear ratios for the Dana20, not just the 4.86 (or whatever that ratio is) gears that have been offered by a couple different vendors. He also offers a full range of rebuild parts (most of which are better than stock) for the Dana 20, including shift forks.

When I talked with him, maybe a year and a half ago, Jack claimed that he could build a Dana20 that would be as strong as an Atlas, for something close to the same price, but, obviously, with none of the fitment issues.

I have TeraLow gears installed also, and am very happy with them. But, if I ever get to the point where I feel the need to upgrade my transfer case, I will give Jack a call.

wilson

I had the tera lows, just not low enough, got A steal on A tcase with O'Brian gears, love them, already had WH output. With granny low I can go hi side when needed. Now the tera lows are in the wife's mall crawler with NP435;D

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
I will be going with the O'brien gears when I can afford them...
I have talked to Jack a few times.... wow I think my ear still hurts.. He makes good products!!
Aaron

73bronco

WOW!! Thats for sure!! I get the stak or atlas is the way to go! Thanks!