• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gun Rack Question

BRONCITIS74

Contributor
I have seen a lot of posts saying that their truck has a gun rack, or they wish they had a gun rack, etc. When I bought my '71 back in 1989, it had a gun rack in the left rear window. Since it came from Texas, I figured the owner had installed it. I took it out and just recently found it. So, my question is, did the early broncos have a gun rack as a factory option, or were they dealer installed? Or did people just add them? All the ones I have seen are pretty much the same. Anyone know?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That was just a basic JC Whitney accessory. Nothing factory about any of them. I am sure many dealers installed them, just like today you can have the dealer install just about any aftermarket accessory as an upsale.

As a side note I find most are just a 2-gun rack. But a 3-gun version does exist. While often mounted to the inside of the cab at the back window you can also find them in pickups mounted to the back wall of the cab below the window hidden behind the seat back.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, back in "the day" the first thing you got for your pick up was a gun rack for the back window.
Rifle, shotgun, baseball bat, and more
You got one at the local sporting goods store or the gun shop. This was way before there were any big chain stores for sporting goods.
Good luck

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a set of those in both side windows of the cap on my '78 and had a set in the '67 I sold earlier this year.

76BroncoPete

Definitely not factory

Attachments

• 758D37E5-4D57-41E3-96EC-8A5B455981FD.jpg
    758D37E5-4D57-41E3-96EC-8A5B455981FD.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 172

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
What they said... Just an add on by owners... Add a little country to your look :)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
My first Bronco - a 69 bought in 1980 - had a gun rack in the rear driver's side window. The 72 I just bought has the "remnants" of a gun rack on the passenger side window (some of the brackets, but not the rack itself). Kind of a cool period correct accessory!

A good place to hang my vintage Daisy Red Ryder!

red-ryder-177-bb-lever-action-rifle.jpg

You can see the rack in the attached photo.

Attachments

• scan0012 (2).jpg
    scan0012 (2).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 63

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
My grandfather's had a 2 gun left side window gun rack when I was a kid and he didn't even ever transport a long gun. The only gun he even had was an old 16 ga he kept in the garage. I always assumed it came that why because I have no idea why he would have installed one or had it installed.

Not to hi-jack, but his other EB had the spare mounted in the left window/ wheel hump inside.

amax

Mine had a 2 gun rack in the drivers side window of the top also. Never was a convenient place to put a gun to me. I have a short rifle that I always carry with me when going out to check on the cows. I put a gun rack in the front on the trans Gump that stood my rifle up vertical. It was much more user friendly. I’m in the process of redoing my bronco completely and I don’t think I will go back with any kind of gun rack after I’m finished with the truck.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't think it was factory. Mine was mounted with bolts right through the hardtop.

Attachments

• rsz_12012-03-21_17-54-00_340.jpg
    rsz_12012-03-21_17-54-00_340.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 79

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I don't believe It was a factory acc. As I started in the Auto Parts Business in 1967. & Our Local Ford House was a good customer of Mine. I ordered & Sold them Many Items for even these Bronco.
.. Most of what I sold ours was the ARA A.C. under dash units.
As I recall those were $189.00... Gun RACKS I SOLD WERE San Angelo Tx. Acc. Co.
...& As I recall I got the PerryCO. WINDOW RAIN GUARDS .
aT THIS POINT i DON'T RECALL any more acc. I got for them. But I'm sure there were more.

snoddas

San Angelo Tx...
I have this rack laying around. Will probably install but for the moment I think my roll cage will interfere.

/Anders

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 78

No Hay

Bronco Guru
San Angelo Tx...
I have this rack laying around. Will probably install but for the moment I think my roll cage will interfere.

/Anders

I worked at a wholesale sporting goods store in the late '70's and this generic model is what we sold to every store in the Northwest, from the Mom & Pop stores to the big retailers. Back then, I'll bet there were more of these racks installed in vehicles than roll bars.

OP
OP
BRONCITIS74

BRONCITIS74

Contributor
Wow! Many interesting replies. I'm trying to decide if I should put them in my '74. Roll bar might be in the way.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had a hard top once that had the bolts in place, but no rack. They were just used to fill the holes. I saw the bolts and where they were at and I knew right away what they were once for. One of the few "why is there a hole THERE?" questions that were easy to answer.

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Mine has had the gun rack since it rolled off the dealer's lot according to the original owner (he added it). I use it to hold my hat, snakeskins, clothes that need to dry, etc. etc.

I've originally thought about taking it off but I use it a lot.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Mine had a 2 gun rack in the drivers side window of the top also. Never was a convenient place to put a gun to me. I have a short rifle that I always carry with me when going out to check on the cows. I put a gun rack in the front on the trans Gump that stood my rifle up vertical. It was much more user friendly. I’m in the process of redoing my bronco completely and I don’t think I will go back with any kind of gun rack after I’m finished with the truck.

Mine had one like that too.
It was a "line runner" for the local electric authority.
Since it was way out on power line right of ways they kept a rifle. I presume for protection from rabid Bobcats and such....