• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is anyone using the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I can't open the link at work, but I think I know which one it is. Way overkill for a stock 302. A factory mustang or Explorer based EFI would be better if you had to have the port injection. Or one of the throttle body self learning 4-barrel EFI if you want a bolt on.

Now if it was a wicked built nasty cam high compression high RPM motor, I can see your choice of EFI as a good call.

Incorrect speed part for replacing a 2-barrel carb.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I have an earlier version, I think the pro flo 3. It runs good and they were very helpful in getting a few issues resolved.

For the money on an early Bronco I would just go with Fitech or Holley Sniper.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
I have an earlier version, I think the pro flo 3. It runs good and they were very helpful in getting a few issues resolved.

For the money on an early Bronco I would just go with Fitech or Holley Sniper.

It actually comes out cheaper than the FiTech or Sniper kit when you take into account the fact that it includes the fuel pump, distributor and intake manifold. Not to mention the horror stories that have been out there for the throttle body systems. I want something that works...

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
actually may not be cheaper, but at $1,795 it's roughly in the same ballpark (on 2nd look, it doesn't include the fuel pump). I'm not looking at it so much from the performance perspective over throttle body but more so from the fact that I want something reliable. Too many horror stories on FiTech and their tech support, and the article linked is about issues with the Holley Sniper. I take my Bronco to Tahoe so I'd prefer EFI if possible, but I want something reliable. If this setup fits the bill, I'm in.

BigB

It actually comes out cheaper than the FiTech or Sniper kit when you take into account the fact that it includes the fuel pump, distributor and intake manifold. Not to mention the horror stories that have been out there for the throttle body systems. I want something that works...

Yeah I think it's pretty good value when you add it up. The tablet interface looks really nice and it has a 2 year warranty.

I also think it looks pretty badass!

You should buy it and report back. The pro flo 3 has some good reviews but like everything out there I'm sure there are a few bad apples.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I really like the look of it. Just about to pull the trigger on it. It is actually a good deal considering you get the intake and dizzy with it.

SDBMtber

Been watching this system for a couple months, hoping for feedback. Planning on ordering it up if I can find a deal this week.

My only concern is good clearance with 351W. But, it says total height is 8.5” to top of throttle body, so that’s close enough to carb setup for me to give it a try. Will be months before body is back on frame and engine running to get any real results though!

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been looking at the Pro Flo 4 for some time. Looks like a nice system that would work well with my engine. One thought I have is when will the Pro Flo 5 come out and this one will be unsupported. That's what's happened to the previous versions.

I just need to pull the trigger on EFI.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I researched all these extensively, I mean extensively (like many) and for the MOST trouble free, reliable, best support, BEST adaptability (for mods, power building, etc) parts availability-now and in the future (and this is important as I tried Holley EFI systems years ago and their lack of support in couple years)....go OEM.

EASY to adapt to the 351

You'll never regret it...

Oh, and I had an Edlebrock ProFlo and went Ford OE

Last edited:

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Honestly have the Ford EFI right now and do not really like it. Expensive to make decent power with a 351 much less the 408 I am planning on. Something I am sure is not quite perfect on mine as it does not run the best all the time but I am sick of using 1990 parts to run my EFI. I am either going to put the ProFlo on mine or go with a custom carb.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Honestly have the Ford EFI right now and do not really like it. Expensive to make decent power with a 351 much less the 408 I am planning on. Something I am sure is not quite perfect on mine as it does not run the best all the time but I am sick of using 1990 parts to run my EFI. I am either going to put the ProFlo on mine or go with a custom carb.

Yes, for a built stroker motor. But the original question is for a 302 with a stock 2-barrel carb. For that, the factory EFI parts are completely well matched.

Even the link above about swapping from a sniper to Pro-flow was done on a built 347, not a stock engine.

Now if the question was if Pro-flow was good choice for a built stroker engine, yes it is. But for a stock 302, no it isn't.

NATEandALLI

I've used Pro-Flo 4 on a number of different applications since it first came out. I really, really like the system. It comes with a ton of different base cals to support everything from under 300 cid to 550+ cid and from stock to mild to aggressive (for efi) cam profiles. Edelbrock switched to a different ECU supplier for this generation system and at it's core, you're getting a very high end motorsports grade engine control unit. Edelbrock has done an excellent job of making a stupid simple user interface app that's used on an Android tablet and the tablet is even included in the kit! There are a bunch of tuning parameters that give you a ton flexibility for dialing in your AFRs and setting up the timing curve is super easy.

Another cool thing is that they're adding support for boost soon. May not be too useful for many Broncos but I have a few projects that will make good use of it.

67mustang390

I researched all these extensively, I mean extensively (like many) and for the MOST trouble free, reliable, best support, BEST adaptability (for mods, power building, etc) parts availability-now and in the future (and this is important as I tried Holley EFI systems years ago and their lack of support in couple years)....go OEM.

EASY to adapt to the 351

You'll never regret it...

Oh, and I had an Edlebrock ProFlo and went Ford OE

so the edelbrock is the way to go from what you're saying...right?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
What I'm saying is when both Holley and Edelbrock quit supporting their current models in a few years because they've upgraded to something else, you wont be able to get parts unless you find what you need on a dusty shelf someplace... i have experienced this with both Holley and Edelbrock.

That's why I'm currently running an OE mass air ECU and its tuned to my needs with Moates Quarterhorse.

Simplicity, works great now and plug and play? I cant answer that as its been several yrs so I'm not current enough with the new systems.

Good luck, its a tough choice.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
In 1990 they were making 5.0 mustangs like mad. You can still get every part you need to make them run

In 1990 Holley offered the first Projection, now obsolete. Replaced with the Projection 4DI, now obsolete. Replaced with the commander 950, now obsolete. Now replaced with the Sniper, which works way better than any of the predecessors. It too will be obsolete someday. You will still be able to get parts to keep the 1990 Mustang EFI running.

I have a Sniper. Works good. But I have little expectations of any support in a decade.