• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me build suspension

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
I will be running 3.5 WH rockcrawler coils and 11 leaf springs. Picking them up from Fabster tomorrow. I am going to pick up a 7 degree bushing kit as mine are the originals.

What route should I go to keep steering geometry true? I know there are a few different options. I MAY be looking at a Trail Proof steering set-up as well but not sure.

I will need shocks, driveshafts (possibly), brake lines (possibly), what else?
Let me know if you need other info

Planning on running 35's until I can regear

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
I have a WH 3.5 lift kit it came with a track bar drop bracket and I add the adjustable track bar to get the front end centered again. Kit also came with ext emr brk cables, frame to axle ext brake lines.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
If your running a 3.5 lift with 35 tires you might want to get a 1 inch body lift for you won't rub unless your cutting a lot of body.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
With a 77', you'd be better off with a track bar riser on the axle, because the frame mount is lower than earlier Broncos. It's close to the same location as the pitman arm.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
How much hard wheeling will you get into? If you want to be ready for anything then definitely get a 1" body lift minimum as mentioned. Once you get a solid lift with all the proper components the best thing you can do is go wheeling. Nothing beats alot of seat time to get your bronco dialed in.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With a 77', you'd be better off with a track bar riser on the axle, because the frame mount is lower than earlier Broncos. It's close to the same location as the pitman arm.

Convert away from the inverted Y-type steering if you still have it and you shouldn't need a drop track bar bracket or riser...at least my '77 didn't with my CAGE 3.5" kit. Drive nices without any noticeable bumpsteer with a standard 3-way adjustable tie-rod/drag link inverted T-type. Careful with the '76-'77 knuckles since they're real wheel weight scrapers, so some of the steering linkage options that apply to the 1975 and older applications aren't quite as plug and play on the 76-77. :cool:

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
Won't be doing much "hard" wheeling. Broncos got a while to go before its worthy. I will defi itely wheel it though. A 1" body lift is in the plans. Body mounts are original so I figure I will go with the WH mount/lift kit eventually. I can't wait for some seat time!
How much hard wheeling will you get into? If you want to be ready for anything then definitely get a 1" body lift minimum as mentioned. Once you get a solid lift with all the proper components the best thing you can do is go wheeling. Nothing beats alot of seat time to get your bronco dialed in.

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
Convert away from the inverted Y-type steering if you still have it and you shouldn't need a drop track bar bracket or riser...at least my '77 didn't with my CAGE 3.5" kit. Drive nices without any noticeable bumpsteer with a standard 3-way adjustable tie-rod/drag link inverted T-type. Careful with the '76-'77 knuckles since they're real wheel weight scrapers, so some of the steering linkage options that apply to the 1975 and older applications aren't quite as plug and play on the 76-77. :cool:

Would I be better off just doing the Trail Proof style (or other heim style) set up with tie rod over knuckle?

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
I ran 3 ½” suspension lift with 2” body and 35X12.50X15 tires. I personally like a tie-rod over and a trackbar riser. It drove great. I could have cleared 37s with this combo.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As mentioned, new rear parking brake cables would be a must for wheeling. Your stock ones will still fit, and it will still wheel, but they will definitely be the travel limiter in the rear.

You're going to want to do the front steering as a whole system. With the Trail Proof steering in a TRO arrangement, you might not need either a riser or a dropped pitman arm, but you'll only know once it's put together.
If you keep it TRUnder, you might still need a pitman arm.
As mentioned, your '77's upper trackbar mount is substantially lower already, when compared to a '66-'75 model. Best bet might be to put it together and be ready to play with the height of the trackbar.
At the very least though, riser or not, you're going to want an adjustable trackbar. Especially important if you don't modify the mounts.

Have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
Got the 3.5" WH Rock crawler springs on with new 14pc bushing kit. I have not added an adjustable track bar, track bar drop or riser, drop pitman arm, etc and my drag link and track bar are just about parallel. Did I just luck out?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Got the 3.5" WH Rock crawler springs on with new 14pc bushing kit. I have not added an adjustable track bar, track bar drop or riser, drop pitman arm, etc and my drag link and track bar are just about parallel. Did I just luck out?

No, that is how it should be. But how steep of an angle are they at? At that steep of an angle how much does the body shift sideways when the suspension cycles for dips in the road? Notice that it yaws (but goes straight) when you go across a dip in the road? That is the steep angle of the track bar and drag link. Since the angles are matched you just get a yaw motion and not bump steer.

OP
OP
M

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
The link that connects to the pitman arm popped off during install of the bushings/lift and won't stay on well enough for a test drive. Trying to make a decision on steering linkage setup so I can get the bronco out on the road!