• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duff's HD Lower Spring Retainers with Wild Horses Springs

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Is there anyone out there that has this combination?

I'd hate to assume that what Wild Horses uses for a spring thickness would fit inside the Duff HD lower cups and then find out it didn't work.

In the process of installing a WH's 2.5 lift and spring cups need replacement. Duff's has a sale right now on their cups.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Both vendor's coils are made from 3/4" wire. The spring doesn't fit tight in the cup, so you shouldn't have any issues.

Mark

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
BC coils fit in Duff HD cups. I tried the BC coils for a day with my Duff Long Arms, then back to the Duff coils.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
After so many years of progressive rate springs linear rate springs were kind of neat for awhile....

Hopstr

Contributor
I run that exact combo. I thought that the springs would insert through the retainer further than they do but I've never had an issue so far with them.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Both cups work with both sets of springs that we have found. Only thing we had to modify was the driver side factory bump stop, have to squish the cup some so it clears the bucket.

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
I have Tom's Springs and Duff Cups and they get along fine. The Duff cups and the Wild Horses Cups look the same to me.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have Tom's Springs and Duff Cups and they get along fine. The Duff cups and the Wild Horses Cups look the same to me.

For the most part they will, especially installed it will be very hard to see any of the differences.

I'm curious if someone has a brand new set of wild horses lower coil retainers they could post a pic of. When the Duff and WH pieces are put right next to each other you will notice 3-4 differences.

Ill go out and unwrap a set and post a pic. We just made another design change that I've been wanting to show everyone and we got a little high tech when we built this batch. :cool:;D

FYI you can use these HD coil retainers with Big Bronco coil springs too. The retainer just shaves a little of the powder coat off.

OP
OP
WheelHorse

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
For the most part they will, especially installed it will be very hard to see any of the differences.

I'm curious if someone has a brand new set of wild horses lower coil retainers they could post a pic of. When the Duff and WH pieces are put right next to each other you will notice 3-4 differences.

Ill go out and unwrap a set and post a pic. We just made another design change that I've been wanting to show everyone and we got a little high tech when we built this batch. :cool:;D

FYI you can use these HD coil retainers with Big Bronco coil springs too. The retainer just shaves a little of the powder coat off.

I just went with the Duff's; still sitting in the shrink wrap on my work bench. Now I have to go and take the shrink wrapping off to take a look at these changes.

OP
OP
WheelHorse

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Well I see the sides are marked now with a D and P respectively, I also see bigger drain holes, but what else am I missing?

They look great btw.

Am I the first to receive a new set of these high tech cups?

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well I see the sides are marked now with a D and P respectively, I also see bigger drain holes, but what else am I missing?

They look great btw.

Am I the first to receive a new set of these high tech cups?

You are possibly the first. But we do sell several pair every day. Do you have Duffs and WH side by side? Can you snap a few pics of all 4 together?

The other 2 differences you will notice is the weld procedure that attaches the ring to the bottom plate is different and you will notice the Passenger side retainer strap is offset.

Thanks for the kind words. If you're not impressed we aren't trying hard enough! ;D

Last edited:

asappin

Is there a reason that the cup is a larger diameter than the coil spring? I just received my Duff heavy duty buckets and i was surprising how much bigger the cup was than the Duff Coils that i just got.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Is there a reason that the cup is a larger diameter than the coil spring? I just received my Duff heavy duty buckets and i was surprising how much bigger the cup was than the Duff Coils that i just got.

Yes sir that's normal.

The reason for this is because of two things. The coil spring has a retainer strap that secures it into position and when the spring is articulated it can actually lift out of the cup. The coil spring has to have enough room around it to allow it to sit back inside the cup w/o getting hung up on it.

asappin

Mike, thanks for the input. My truck is strictly a daily driver. Would these buckets still be a good fit for me? I probably should have asked these questions before I bought them but I liked how beefy they were.