• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear end - rebuild or keep driving?

Pkdupont

Loc.
Fairfax Station
The mechanic opened up the rear end to replace fluids. its a 9". (It's been siting 22 years). He pointed our some pitting on some of the drive gear teeth and recommended a rebuild. Believes these were the gear teeth that were not coated in oil while the truck sat so long.
I've dropped more than enough into the shop in the past couple of months with frame off, clean and paint, undercoating bod, new suspension and engine install.
Is it time to rebuild or is this something I can live with for a while? He assumes it will be noisy and might last 1 month, 6 months, 2 years.
I'm leaning towards driving until it fails (?) or I notice a change in performance.
Any and all thoughts/ recommendations appreciated.
Thank you.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
My vote is drive it. Enjoy it . If it's an issue you will know. Especially after just getting it back. If it was a steering or brake issue it would be different. Drive it and get to know it. You may want to do some upgrades to the rear anyway later but for now I would get some seat time.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I agree it drive it. They are very stout axles and unless u are putting lot of power through it u will never hear from it again.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I would drive it unless you're on the highway alot. When it's starting to go you'll feel it but at higher speed it might blow apart.. you can buy a used.3rd member at a local swap meet or Craigslist cheaper than a rebuild. If you're planning on changing ratios and a locker its worth paying the labor to be sure it's right.

OP
OP
Pkdupont

Pkdupont

Loc.
Fairfax Station
Thanks guys. I was leaning that way but wanted a second, third and 4th opinion. Definitely would like to take my time and make sure I select the correct upgrade, gear ratio etc.. when it's absolutely necessary to replace it. Who knows, by then I might have a 5 speed swap

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And the cool thing about manual four-wheel drive too, is that if your rear end ever fails while you're out and about, you simply disconnect the driveshaft, lock the front hubs and drive off in "front wheel drive" until you can get it fixed.

Besides, at this point you don't KNOW for sure it's an issue. It's for sure not great, but it's not for sure the death of the gear either. As said, these things rock pretty good.
Lots of contact patch area on the face of a 9" ring and pinion. I'm sure there are others running around in bad shape too.
Of course, we haven't seen the damage, so the shop might be appropriate in recommending you work on it.

I don't suppose he took pics of it by the way, did he?

Paul

OP
OP
Pkdupont

Pkdupont

Loc.
Fairfax Station
Thanks DirtDonk. I actually saw the gearing. It didn't look too bad to me, but having never experienced a read rend failure nor rebuilt one myself, couldn't rate it on a scale of 1-10.
I'm going to run it until there is no doubt it needs replacing. By then I'll have a bit of $$ saved up, done my research, and be able to get my hands dirty.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The pits just hold extra lube. Not really but just say that to yourself.

While its true that pitted gears are not desirable, they generally work just fine. So they will only last another 200k instead of a million more miles. Pitting won't make for a sudden failure. It will be progressive with more wear. You will know it is becoming a problem well before it actually will fail (from pitting anyway).

So like everyone else, just run it. Save fixing it until you find a reason to regear.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If it still has the stock gears 3.50 the loaded rear pumpkin is readily available used. Their heavy but not hard to replace. Do a search in our classified section. Much cheaper than buying and installing a new set.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Depending on the shop and mechanic..if its not new there is something that can be fixed or if you like this one better...If your blinker fluid can't be found it must be empty or leaking train of thought. They are trained and told to look for wear and recommend repair just because its there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk