• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cactus Smasher...

75Denver

Hey guys-
I was just wondering if any of you have tried fitting a '78-79 style cactus smasher on a EB? Are they the same size? I'm not sure if they even called them cactus smashers on the full-size Broncos. Just trying to get around buying a new one from WH or bajabronco.com.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey guys-
I was just wondering if any of you have tried fitting a '78-79 style cactus smasher on a EB? Are they the same size? I'm not sure if they even called them cactus smashers on the full-size Broncos. Just trying to get around buying a new one from WH or bajabronco.com.

I think the curvature of the '78-'79 bumper would preclude using it on an EB.

Todd Z.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
if it's the cactus smasher that you merely bolt and drill into the bumper from the outside, then you should have no problem.

however, if it's a cactus smasher that in some way gets attached through the frame or somewhere on the frame, then i would be weary of buying it.

BUT...us bronco owners are an inventive bunch. therefore, just like one can make an acura integra seat( ummm...me) fit into your bronco, then there's a way to modify just about anything onto an eb.

good luck.;D

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Yes, it would be directly bolted to the EB bumper...not the entire curved '78-79 bumper attatched to the EB frame (if that's what you were saying Todd Z. ?). I think the top mounting brackets are a bit more curved to mate the size of the full-size bumper. What I'm wondering is if the dimensions are identical to the Stroppe cactus smasher originally produced for the EB? Anyone know??...

yjzonie

Loc.
Scottsdale, AZ
Is this catus smasher you refer to, also the same as a push gaurd. I still have the one that was originally purchased with my 74 EB Ranger. Give me a better idea of what you're talking about.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
The '79 push bar was offered on the "Free Wheeling" package and as an option on the '78 and '79 Bronco and F-series. The frame for the larger Bronco is wider than the EB. Neither of the mounting tabs are square vertically or horizontally. You would have to do a lot of cutting to make it work. And as usual with late '70's show bars, it was made out of thin sheet metal tubing.

I had one on my '79 Bronco. It was there but wouldn't do much without distorting the mounting tabs.

blue-bronco-2-small.jpg

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Well, it looks like that's been answered. Thanks guys. If anyone has one for the EB laying around and at a decent price, let me know.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I just sold a very nice factory 78-79 push bar on ebay and got $300.00 for it. I say sell the one for the 78-79 and buy one for your EB