• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

seat belt

retro77

I got a retractable shoulder/lap seat belt out of a Ford Ranger out of a scrap yard with the intent of installing it in my 77 bronco, on the roll bar that I am having made. I am finding out that I cannot get the belt to extend, the retractable device just locks up when I pull on the belt. Has anyone had any experience with a seat belt out of a wreaked vehicle? Do seat belts exposed to a crash only work the one time? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
There's a pendulum mechanism inside it that locks it during an impact, or when the vehicle (or assembly) is at a significant tilt. It will only unroll when it's at the same orientation to gravity that it was in its designed installation (usually vertical).

(phone app link)

If it STILL won't unlock, the belt is twisted inside the reel. Read the unjamming procedure in this caption:

(phone app link)

OP
OP
R

retro77

Thanks for the advice! I placed the retractor in the vise, vertically, and it worked. Did not realize being vertical made that much difference. The people on this site are fantastic!!!

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I used a set of ranger belts for many years - mounted the retracter vertically right behind the seat on the inner quarter and up a few inches...drilled a hole and then was able to get a wrench on it by reaching up inside the fender....will need an extra set of hands. They tuck away very nicely there. Then you need to put the triangle belt tensioner mounted to the roll bar. So the retracted is on the inner quarter and the tensioner/slide is mounted to roll bar.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. I'll say .. If you still can't understand these answers .. Ask a body man friend of yours. They can help you with the answers .