• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will ford alcoa wheels fit a 76-77 bronco?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I tried every 8" rim Ford made on my '77. They all hit the tie rod ends. Ended up using 8" Dodge 4x4 truck steel rims that work perfectly and they look original with Ford small hub caps for the '78-'79 Broncos. They have a larger CJ center hole but that's not a problem. They are made by Kelsey Hayes.

OP
OP
JHolloway

JHolloway

Loc.
Acworth/Kennesaw, Ga
The wheels im talking about are 7.5" wide. They came on f150s and broncos from 1992-1996, the polished version. What backspacing is required to clear the tierods?

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
The wheels im talking about are 7.5" wide. They came on f150s and broncos from 1992-1996, the polished version. What backspacing is required to clear the tierods?

So does this mean your keeping the bronco? I thank 1/4 spacer will work with no clamp on wheel weights.3.5 backspace works for sure and I thank the wheels your talking about are 4".

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru

I tried a set of these and they needed about 3/8" thick spacers to barely clear. We used some washers as we were just rolling it around the geerage during rehab.

I am converting to TRO steering which makes the problem worse so gonna convert to the 78 / 79 knuckle arrangement which resolves it.

Krawlin5

The wheels are a 4" backspace. I torque my wheels and unchecked them after 100 miles still was good. The reason I haven't balanced the tires as they seem to be fine and I use my Bronco off road and they would just be out of balance anyway with all the mud that gets left on the and rocks seem to hit. 2012102195164649.jpg

20121123_082209.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
so gonna convert to the 78 / 79 knuckle arrangement which resolves it.

That. I won't make the mistake again of using the 76/77 knuckles; I never did find a wheel that would clear them and am currently running 1" spacers for the wheels on it now.

Krawlin5

Yes I have spacers I made at work out of alum. 5/16" thick. I guess my first post got deleted. I used longer Gorman studs and Gorrila lug nuts. I bought my rims at a flea market for $175. I only have about 4'' of lift and my tires rub on the front edge of my rear fenders. I need to move my axle back a inch.Tires rub on radius arms at full lock.