• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972-73 owners-mind your P's and Q's

mkw1623

Loc.
Ok, you all are on this...so I'd appreciate your help because I can't seem to really identify what I'm seeing on my warranty tag. Specifically, the S42932 since the '73 seems to end at S39999 and the 74s start at S60000. I'm also showing a Y under color...but it's not listed on broncohio.com (skips from X to Z). Under body it says 94, model U153 (broncohio stops at U152) and B9Q under Axle (I know is 3.5 gears but what is the "Q"?). Any help with each item is appreciated! I've got the rest figured out...but these are stumping me.
Thanks!

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Specifically, the S42932 since the '73 seems to end at S39999 and the 74s start at S60000.

Well S is a '73 anyway, based on what I've seen here. So far so good. But what month does it say yours was built on the Certification Label decal?

I'm also showing a Y under color...but it's not listed on broncohio.com (skips from X to Z).

Look in our "Master Color Thread" (if you search that phrase it usually comes right up, then click up to Page 6 where the charts start) you might find it.
But always with ford, look at adjacent years too. So '72 and '74 both, to be sure it's not listed in one of those.

and B9Q under Axle (I know is 3.5 gears but what is the "Q"?).
Thanks!

Isn't the Q in this case for power steering? I think it's something like that, but could mean one of the limited slips too. I believe Viper or someone touched on the axle codes in this thread a time or two. Did you happen to have time to read through the whole thing, or just jump to the end quickly?
Either way, someone should know and post it up soon.

Good luck.

paul

mkw1623

Loc.
Thanks for the reply and reference to the color thread...that helped. The Y is burnt orange I found on the 74 card with an indication that it was also used on my 73. Having taken several pieces apart, I knew the original color. But it confused me as I'm doing research. I looked through most of the thread, yes, and tried to edit my post as I found what I was looking for elsewhere, as well. Thank you again...all of it is helpful!

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok, you all are on this...so I'd appreciate your help because I can't seem to really identify what I'm seeing on my warranty tag. Specifically, the S42932 since the '73 seems to end at S39999 and the 74s start at S60000. I'm also showing a Y under color...but it's not listed on broncohio.com (skips from X to Z). Under body it says 94, model U153 (broncohio stops at U152) and B9Q under Axle (I know is 3.5 gears but what is the "Q"?). Any help with each item is appreciated! I've got the rest figured out...but these are stumping me.
Thanks!

'73 had VINs reserved up to S60000. Probably didn't quite get there but Ford didn't waste a lot of unused VINs.

I see "Y" as Burnt Orange in '74 on the PPG charts. That corresponds with 94 as the body code in '73, orange front and rear seats. It must be an explorer model.

U153 was the 4450 GVWR package B9 was the big bearing, 11" brake rear axle with limited slip and 3.50 gears. Q means it had power steering and a limited slip in the front axle.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
'73 had VINs reserved up to S60000. Probably didn't quite get there but Ford didn't waste a lot of unused VINs.

I see "Y" as Burnt Orange in '74 on the PPG charts. That corresponds with 94 as the body code in '73, orange front and rear seats. It must be an explorer model.

U153 was the 4450 GVWR package B9 was the big bearing, 11" brake rear axle with limited slip and 3.50 gears. Q means it had power steering and a limited slip in the front axle.

good info brother..

mkw1623

Loc.

Excellent...thank you for your help!

Goboysgo

HI Gang, I'm revisiting a suggestion from a different post to compare here with the P and Q info. I tried to read through all 28 pages here but got distracted with life, kids etc.

My '72 (JULY) has
t-shift
indicator lights below the control knobs
ambient sensor/switch in the door jamb
3 port fuel valve under the drivers seat
evap cannister or condensing tank with 4 vacuum lines
no EGR

Am I forgetting to include or check for something?

hopefully soon I will be motoring down the road in the ol bronco, im getting close. Also interested in meeting any other Bay Area Bronco folks, had a nice visit from Andrew of Baja Broncos recently out at the truck as its parked in his neck of the woods.

Later Lucas

Attachments

• BroncoResized.jpg
    BroncoResized.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 18

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for adding your info. Based on the month of manufacture it probably has the little bump-out in the core support for a power steering box, and the opening for the cold air intake that would have come on the 73 models.
Assume yours is a “P“ model? Figured yes, but wanted to make sure.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and where was it originally delivered? There should be a DSO code on your glove box warranty plate

Goboysgo

The DSO was Denver from what I remember, makes sense because my friend I got it from purchased it in Colorado in the mid/late 90's. says 76 actually now that I found it.

vin is a P

I'm curious about the ps bump out and the opening for the cold air intake, what exactly am i looking for?

thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For the bump out you look down on the driver side front plate next to the radiator just in front of the steering box. The power steering box made available in 73 was slightly longer than the earlier manual steering boxes, so they simply welded on a slight indentation into the panel to clear the box.

For the cold air intake, look over behind the passenger side headlight for a rectangular vertical hole almost at the very right extremity so that it is literally to the outside of the battery.

Goboysgo

Thanks for the details, I will be looking and taking note soon hopefully and will let you all know.

sebvox

@Viperwolf1 I have another warranty plate to add to your spreadsheet:

Serial Number U15GLP88793
U15 U-100 Bronco 4x4 Wagon
G 302-2V Engine
L Built at Michigan Truck
P88793 Serial Number of this Bronco scheduled for production at Michigan Truck
092 Wheelbase (inches)
V Mallard Green Paint, Ford #5005-A
U150 U-100 Bronco Wagon 4300 Lb. GVW
I4 Avocado Sport Bucket Seats and Rear Seat
C 3-Speed Manual Transmission
18 3.50 Conventional Rear Axle
04300 Gross Vehicle Weight in Pounds
76 Denver DSO (District Sales Office)
DEALER #: 76A002
Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- G78x15-B Black Sidewall Tires
- Mud and Snow Tires
- Manual AM Radio
- Hand Control Throttle
- Auxiliary Fuel Tank with Skid Plate
- Power Steering
Your vehicle was actually produced on October 3, 1972 -- seven days behind schedule.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good info sebvox. Thanks for adding it!
Looks like it's from a Marti Report? Since we know what date it was actually built, can we compare that to what it says on the certification label pasted to the driver's B-pillar?
Just curious if it being the very beginning of October, whether or not they listed October or September as the build month. Not sure why that question popped into my head, but it did.

And does yours have any of the other irregularities such as the transfer case shifter type and dash indicator lamp bars and such?

Thanks

Paul

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
@Viperwolf1 I have another warranty plate to add to your spreadsheet:

Serial Number U15GLP88793
U15 U-100 Bronco 4x4 Wagon
G 302-2V Engine
L Built at Michigan Truck
P88793 Serial Number of this Bronco scheduled for production at Michigan Truck
092 Wheelbase (inches)
V Mallard Green Paint, Ford #5005-A
U150 U-100 Bronco Wagon 4300 Lb. GVW
I4 Avocado Sport Bucket Seats and Rear Seat
C 3-Speed Manual Transmission
18 3.50 Conventional Rear Axle
04300 Gross Vehicle Weight in Pounds
76 Denver DSO (District Sales Office)
DEALER #: 76A002
Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- G78x15-B Black Sidewall Tires
- Mud and Snow Tires
- Manual AM Radio
- Hand Control Throttle
- Auxiliary Fuel Tank with Skid Plate
- Power Steering
Your vehicle was actually produced on October 3, 1972 -- seven days behind schedule.

Yours was built 6 days after mine. Inquiring minds would like to know - is it titled as a 1972 or 1973?

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is titled as a 1972 model.

That’s got to be close to, or the latest production still titled as a 1972. Mine is as well and has the same interior. Did yours come with Ranger stripes?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
That’s got to be close to, or the latest production still titled as a 1972. Mine is as well and has the same interior. Did yours come with Ranger stripes?
My titled 72 is P89446. Don't have a Marti Report but tag says 10/72 production. Assuming a mid-Oct build based on VIN/Date shown above by sebvox.