• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1971 Stroppe Baja-Rod Hall/Josh Hall

gritz

This story keeps getting better. Can't wait to see more info and pic.

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Hey B, I got back bars for you - but no main hoop yet. Original pieces. I have a line on a complete set up but is a Luben bar, and there are subtle differences, tho most wouldn't notice. We can talk about that one. Chrome wheels look awesome on there. Seriously - don't do too much right away, it's looking really good! Patina is nearly unobtainium.

So B-W-R vs R-W-B. It's a really really long story that I got from a Stroppe employee. Basicly there's a big group of 71s and 73s that didn't get decals. A small group of 72s. The B-W-R were given out or reluctantly installed because the Stroppe crew realized the ST on Stroppe barely shows up in a blue field. Press 73 Bajas like House's Baja would be an example of them installing the decals. The trucks that didn't get decals got Sport emblems.(or rather HAD them still on from the factory).

Great info! Do you happen to know how many '71s got the BWR decals? Im going to do my best to preserve them (it'll go in the binder) when the Bronco gets new paint….but that might be a long ways down the road. I've ALWAYS wanted a Bronco with heavy patina and a perfect drivetrain but until yesterday, didn't think about the fact that I currently have that. Your "unobtainium" comment followed my discovery (see photo) of what a little elbow grease will reveal. I haven't touched the Poppy yet but I F@$*ING love this paint!!

What is your schedule like. I really want to come up and bring their "other" old Bronco to show them and let them look at our photos/info on how we ID'd it. Would be fun if you drove up in the RH/JH for a double reunion. Probably snowy up there now tho huh?

My schedule can be cleared for Stroppe talk any day of the week!! I know JH is splitting his time between Reno/Elko so that might be a feat in getting RH and him together. Just give me a heads up. Not sure what the mechanicals of mine is like just yet. In fact, I don't know if I'll get to it until we move into our new home. Here's some pics for the fans out there;D

Attachments

• IMG_4814.jpg
    IMG_4814.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_4818.jpg
    IMG_4818.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4816.jpg
    IMG_4816.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4820.jpg
    IMG_4820.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4819.jpg
    IMG_4819.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 153

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have those decals for you if you repaint...but...don't repaint....too cool. Not to sound cliché...but...."that'll rub out." You also have the decals in the windows.....that's all stuff that I'd leave. I know you're not asking, but this is the kind of find I'd leave alone other than mechanicals. Maybe gather a rollbar and wheel to keep "with the truck", but the way it looks and the story you have (print your emails and in the binder they go), really is neat as-is. My current stable includes a Tampico Yellow 72 Baja Bronco, unrestored, and a 74 Baja Bronco with megapatina (TM) :)

Also have some HA info for you.

As far as numbers of which ones got decals and which sport emblems , it's impossible to tell an exact number.

Last edited:

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Repaint

I concur 100% do not repaint this truck...Mark in San Diego (Beach City Broncos)

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

I should also add that the paint is not original. The blue shines bright on the rear half of the body but not so much up front. It's only a guess until I confirm but since the front fenders were replaced, I think they hit the rest of the poppy to match(?). Any secrets pulling off all the oxidation and and bringing back some gloss? I'll probably just keep the paint for a while. My reasons to paint we're including pulling the body for full resto....and to ease working underneath. No bay lift:(.

Andrew- I'll still hit you up on those badges. I'll get with you soon about the roll bar and steering (good luck, right?!). I have another set of steelies I was going to paint but one of them has a 1" difference in BS. Also, H.A....please tell!! Can you share pics of the 74 ? I've ALWAYS wanted your Tampico, so if you want to sell, I'm your buyer;).

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

I was able to score a Stroppe steering wheel the other day!! I plan to do some kind of restoration on the resin casting but don't know the exact condition of the foam padding. Any "swear by it" brands of epoxy filler or steering wheel repair kits? I've seen a few threads and various kit suppliers but what's the best?

Thx- Brody

Pics to follow once I receive the wheel

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Look what was waiting to greet me from my vacation!! It's not perfect but it's a helluva lot better than the aftermarket that's on it.

Any recommendations regarding my last post?

Attachments

• IMG_4894.jpg
    IMG_4894.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4892.jpg
    IMG_4892.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4891.jpg
    IMG_4891.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4893.jpg
    IMG_4893.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 152

House

Minutia Militia
That's the wrong style, incorrect for your rig. Ship it to me and I will dispose of it properly... ;)

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
She's a beaut! I used an Eastwood co filler and it works great. Even used it on the steering wheel on kaysinger Racing Bronco and it has 2600 Baja miles with no cracks coming back. Read up on application and maybe some Youtube and you'll get the hang of it.

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

That's the wrong style, incorrect for your rig. Ship it to me and I will dispose of it properly... ;)

HAHA! It's in the mail headed your way%). Yours is in really good shape though, right? I think your story and documented Stroppe is one of my all-time favorites!

She's a beaut! I used an Eastwood co filler and it works great. Even used it on the steering wheel on kaysinger Racing Bronco and it has 2600 Baja miles with no cracks coming back. Read up on application and maybe some Youtube and you'll get the hang of it.

Thanks!! Some wheeling (no pun intended) took place but I'm happy with it. I think you mentioned you've seen an almost NOS wheel…do you know the diameter? This one came out of AZ so the sun has taken its toll on the foam. We were both after the same wheel in the past and I want to say that one was super thick (maybe extra padding?). I've tried sourcing from several suppliers an equivalent foam but nobody will sell just the liquid form, if it even comes that way. Perhaps it has to do with the environmental regulations or just the fact that they'd rather do it for you. Any company out there still dipping wheels? I'd imagine someone in the BAJA racing circuit makes racing wheels still. Anyway, thanks for the tip on the Eastwood. I needed to hear back on tested products.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Out of AZ and extra puffy huh? Get any history on it? Hmmm....

Attachments

• origwheel.jpg
    origwheel.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 170
OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Now that's a clean one!! Mine's not puffy (if you will). Kind of baked but still nice. The truck it came off of was a '68 project rig. No other Stroppe features:(. Anyway, I'll have to check out your best gear someday just to have a base line.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll measure one up for you. That one you have, however hard or baked, looks pretty big, and that's what I meant by puffy. I've seen much variance over the years. Just like headers! LOL.

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Christmas came early! In fact, I completely forgot I ordered this. I'm curious about the 1 of 2 identical ones shipped to Kott & Smolar. Anyone out there have the other one? In some of the talks I've had with Andrew, Harold Allen and his father both had Stroppes….perhaps they bought them together?

Attachments

• IMG_4972.jpg
    IMG_4972.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4971.jpg
    IMG_4971.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4970.jpg
    IMG_4970.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 89

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
That is some awesome info. I love the idea of its history and the fact it has a twin out there. Very cool to see if you locate it.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's here at my shop right now. No joke, and belongs to a forum member. I'm doing some minor work to susp/brakes/steering.

I must clarify the Marti... On ford end of things all of the 100 figure are identical, and 2 of those Bajas went to kott and smolar. Another example is 3 went to parnelli's jones ford. 3 and 2 of the 100. What's more, Marti is basing their "identical" status on how they left ford motor company; not stroppe. The two that went to kott and smolar were optioned differently by Stroppe.

But: awesome info and cool truck, again.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
It's here at my shop right now. No joke, and belongs to a forum member. I'm doing some minor work to susp/brakes/steering.

I must clarify the Marti... On ford end of things all of the 100 figure are identical, and 2 of those Bajas went to kott and smolar. Another example is 3 went to parnelli's jones ford. 3 and 2 of the 100. What's more, Marti is basing their "identical" status on how they left ford motor company; not stroppe. The two that went to kott and smolar were optioned differently by Stroppe.

But: awesome info and cool truck, again.

Does the two from Knott & Smolar have sequential vin numbers?