• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fender Flare Welting...Yes or No

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Hey to all! It's been far too long!! After 11 years the Ole Girls going in for a face lift. I still haven't picked a color but I'm between Magnetic Grey or Brittany Blue.
My question is about the Flares. I'm gonna replace the ones that are on it and didn't know if its possible to mount without the welting? Or if I paint them to match, do I seam seal them and is there any negative effects to that.
Thanks!
Mike

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I install the welting and always go body color for the Flares and Roll Bar. If they are both body color they do not look like an after thought.

I have a 76 that will be Magnetic and will install the Flares with Black Rivets.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
I install the welting and always go body color for the Flares and Roll Bar. If they are both body color they do not look like an after thought.

I have a 76 that will be Magnetic and will install the Flares with Black Rivets.
Have you painted it yet....I'd love to see a pic!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
depends on the flare, I guess. my warflares I put the welting on and kept black

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
On mine warflairs no welting. My old fiberglass flairs needed welting. The good thing is you can go either way at any time. My Bronco without welting looks much cleaner install than fiberglass with welting.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I have Bronco Design fiberglass flares that required very little tweaking to fit without welting.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have Warflares. They came with welting so I used it. The only difference is the rounded 1/8 inch edge.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I like no welting, but that's a personal preference. Gorilla Warflares, black, no welting.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
My Bronco is not finished yet, I installed my gorilla warflares a little while back to get ready for paint. I installed them without the welting and I like the look without it as well. I think it comes down to personal preference when you install them. Good luck with your install!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
the thing with the welting is I used to get wax on them and they never looked the same after time....keep it yellow!!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have it on my 67. And I think it needs it my flares are older fiberglass and with out the welting I would have some big gaps. Some of the softer flares may conform to the body better and not need it. My 70 has it too and the same thing fiber glass flares would have gaps with out it. It s personal preference and fit of the flares.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I installed my Gorilla's without the welting BC it just looks cleaner and they fit the body great.

Although... one of my local Bronco-bros did use the welting claiming they help prevent rust in the screw attachment holes. You decide. I will be dead b4 any rust in that area takes place. :-X ;D

Attachments

• IMAG0380.jpg
    IMAG0380.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0381.jpg
    IMAG0381.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Ok - I was hoping some of you omitted the Welting because my current flares look very wavy. Thanks for the help and pics. Looks alot cleaner without!

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Yeah I like that pic without the welting, no wavy spots at the fasteners. Anybody paint the warflares? I’m on the fence about painting them or going with fiberglass painted.