• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco from scratch?

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
You may also want to read some build threads on here........relating to time involved. I swear some have been 5 years and longer!!!

Do you and the kids want to wait that long??? If you are starting from scratch, could be longer yet!!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
You can actually build a new one from scratch completely, just save your receipts. make sure it shows the taxes you paid etc. and when it is done just go tot the DMV and register it as a kit car or home built. It is not as hard as it sounds but you do have to deal with the DMV...

OP
OP
M

mebco09

You may also want to read some build threads on here........relating to time involved. I swear some have been 5 years and longer!!!

Do you and the kids want to wait that long??? If you are starting from scratch, could be longer yet!!

THIS is the reality. My kids will be out of the house by the time I get it done. The only thing that I never seem to have enough of is time.....

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
THIS is the reality. My kids will be out of the house by the time I get it done. The only thing that I never seem to have enough of is time.....

I may be the only one but my bronco build takes a backseat to everything, and I do that on purpose. I purposely spend 99% of my time with my family. That’s why I don’t have much done on my bronco. I’m looking forward to Tee Ball and dance classes when I get back in the states. That’s not to say I won’t spend a lil of my per diem ($3.50 per day) on bronco parts that will stay in storage for a couple of years!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I may be the only one but my bronco build takes a backseat to everything, and I do that on purpose. I purposely spend 99% of my time with my family. That’s why I don’t have much done on my bronco. I’m looking forward to Tee Ball and dance classes when I get back in the states. That’s not to say I won’t spend a lil of my per diem ($3.50 per day) on bronco parts that will stay in storage for a couple of years!

So you gonna be a dancer?

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Hey All-

New guy on here. Been lurking for a long time, quick intro-I've been a mustang guy forever, My Dad has a 1967 ex-US Army EB.

Sorry if it's been asked, but is your dad a member on here? Would love to see his Bronco! Best of luck in your journey, will definitely find all your answers 'round here.

Matt if I owned a Bronco when my kids were little I'd be the same way, but they're all old enough now where the 99% has dropped significantly. I've got pics of them with the impact wrenches, daughter relaxing on my gut as I'm laying under the 66 Mustang etc...good times :)

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With all the builds that I have done you can completely strip down a Bronco to a pile of parts in just a couple days. Building one back up can take many years as many on here have experienced.

mebco09 - If you are going to start from scratch, at least start with a good frame and the better the body, the quicker and less expensive it will be in the end. All the parts are available. The more custom you go, most likely, the more time and money involved.

Go through some builds here on classic and see what you like. There are some amazing Broncos here for your viewing.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am going to start another "build from scratch build". after completing mine and my brothers 67 last year I have found that sharing a Bronco with someone else only gives you half the time to drive and enjoy it. The 67 took over 5 years to build so I imagine the next one is going to take just as long. If you do build your own from scratch the only advise I would give is to have a plan of what you want the finished Bronco to be. Not knowing what you want as a final product (stock, resto mod, etc...) will add years to your build. That was the biggest hard lesson I learned the first time around,If you get some time read through my thread (in my signature) and you will see some of the trials and tribulations of a rookie Bronco build.

Jamie Chriss

I spent the most of one year building a tub from scratch. There is nothing easy about it, the fitment issues will drive you crazy. So how particular are you? The one advertised above seems are not perfect but I think his offer is a fair deal. If I could do it over again I would not hesitate to buy a pre built tub. I remember talking with my friend about it right when I decided enough was enough and he said you know you can by a well built tub for $15K, i thought to myself I can do it better and at half the cost. Wrong I can not do it better. To do this right you need a well designed jig to hold everything in place. As I said earlier nothing fits as it should, every single part needed to be re-shapped and even then it not perfect. Now if you have someone you know who have built one of these Bronco tubes and they know all the trick then do it, or other wise 15K will seem like a still this time next year. Good luck, I love that you are thinking about quality

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
mebco09: Unless I missed it, you never said what you wanted to use the Bronco for - daily driver, trails, rock crawling etc???? I would say that makes a difference in $$ and time needed to build it.

I know guys are saying you can buy an assembled tub for $15 grand, hell, for $30 -$35 grand you should be able to buy a nicely done COMPLETED Bronco from some member (long standing) on here - IF YOU ARE PATIENT - and be able to enjoy it now as opposed to waiting 5-10 years. Keep looking at the 'for sale by members only' section for something that catches your eye.......then ask questions!!!! Been lots of nice ones for sale in that price range, depending on what you are looking for.

I would be a little more hesitant myself buying from someone who just joined and advertised their Bronco for sale. But, that may just be me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The big parts look expensive. But it is the shear volume of little parts that will cost a fortune. All the $5, $10, $50, $100 parts ad up and up and up.

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Sorry if it's been asked, but is your dad a member on here? Would love to see his Bronco! Best of luck in your journey, will definitely find all your answers 'round here.

Ill see if I can find some pictures of my Dad's Bronco. It is at our family cabin, gets used a lot in the Summer. Kids called it the "Donco" when they were little.

Since this thread is nearly done, I guess it is Ok to jack it. Here is the low down on his Bronc- We picked it up in Willamette, OR in 1992 from the Oregon Dept. of Forestry. Still had the US Army star painted on the side visible underneath a white rattle-can paint job. All of the Army nomenclature plates were intact on the dash. 170, 3 on tree. "Rust bucket" in the 90's- "patina" today. ODOF must have ended up with it from a surplus sale from the government. Rear wheelwells cut out with a sawzall. I think it was something like $667 from a sealed bid auction. Didn't have many miles, came with what might have been original tires (heavily cracked bias ply mud/snow type tires). Was running and driving, and everything worked.

Dad did a frame-off, mostly by himself except paint. Bent the body in half taking it off (no top or doors, kinked it at the rockers-I was at college and couldn't help). Although his is now Wimbledon White, he never painted the underside of the roof, which is still OD green with all of the Army "reminders how to drive" stickers still on there.

I understand that the Army/Navy bought a few hundred Broncos around that time. Dad remembers IH Scouts in Vietnam, but not Broncos.