Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 10/26/13, 03:19 PM   #31
allenfahey
Bronco Guru

Hanover
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDDBRONCO View Post
"Have your own tools for your trade." WTF for a restoration shop they should have all tools not someone bringing in their tools
It doesn't matter whether you are a mechanic, body man, or painter. No shop will provide you with tools.

Broncobert.... what's up with those guys prepping a car in the booth

73 fiberglass, D60's f&r with ARB's, 5.5 lift, 435/203/D20, Cage SAS arms, Astro hydro boost, H1 re-centered rims, ect...
Old 10/26/13, 05:28 PM   #32
SSDDBRONCO
Bronco Guru

Nothin Like Livin In Cali... Stuck in Traffic!!

Los Angeles, Ca

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenfahey View Post
It doesn't matter whether you are a mechanic, body man, or painter. No shop will provide you with tools.

That's weird cause every shop i've been to supply their their own tools to the workers

1973 Ford Bronco: 302 with Holley Terminator EFI, Aeromotive Phantom 340 Fuel Pump, C4, Dana 44 & Ford 9 BB, 3.5 JD Lift, 35's MTZP3, blah blah blah...
Old 10/26/13, 06:23 PM   #33
BRONCOBERT

Shaker Stroker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenfahey View Post

Ya sanding a car in the paint booth is a big no no, and ya most places make you suply your own hand tools.
Old 10/26/13, 08:22 PM   #34
Broncitis
MEB Founder

York

My Gallery
I'd expect most places to require you have all your own hand tools (hence why mechanics have huge ass expensive tool boxes that they often have to move on a roll back when they switch jobs. Very few (almost none) employers are paying for a $10K+ toolbox and even more $ that is in it).

Larger shop and specialized equipment is a different story.

It takes a LONG time to buy the $30-$50K+ full toolbox at $15 per hour.

I think Allen has the right gig as a paingter as far as a lower percentage of his earnings being tied up in personal tools. I can not imagine you have near that in your equipment right? I bet when you just changed jobs you loaded it all in a few cardboard boxes?

How many guns do you keep at work? What other stuff do you have to provide?

Old 10/27/13, 07:01 AM   #35
allenfahey
Bronco Guru

Hanover
Garage
I have about $5-600 in hand tools. I also have a buffer, few DA 's, sanding blocks, cheap $500 tool box, 3 paint stands, 2 primer guns, a 1k primer gun (old SATA nr95), a SATA 3000 for sealer, three other SATA's for base coat, and a SATA RP3000 for clear. I also have a gun washer I bought from safety clean which 100% of all my employers have provided. I just wanted one to get my guns cleaner than the gun cleaner the shop I worked at provided. I also have 5-6 spray guns that need new tip and needle sets that I don't use any longer. I probably have only spent maybe $17K in tools. I know of mechanics and body men that have spent upwards of 12K on just their tool box.
I am about to by 2 more spray guns at about $700 each and a new buffer. Painters generally make more money than bodymen and mechanics here in my area.

73 fiberglass, D60's f&r with ARB's, 5.5 lift, 435/203/D20, Cage SAS arms, Astro hydro boost, H1 re-centered rims, ect...
Old 10/28/13, 03:49 AM   #36
georgejorgenson

Lancaster
I was at the Rocky Roads shop the other day. I met Shaun and a few of his guys. All were friendly and professional. I was shown around the shop and was asked to examine the EB's they were restoring and customizing. All the rigs I examined are well done. Everyone has their own idea of what an EB should be and its purpose. The folks at Rocky Roads are building what their customers want...not everyone wants a rock crawler, some just want a modernized EB to go surfing, skiing, camping or just driving the highways or byways. The products I examined were well made. I am building a EB that will be used for a little of everything. I've purchased products from Tom's, WH, Bob's, West Coast Broncos and Duff's. All have provided me with great products and service. The EB hobby has plenty of room for all. Stop the back biting and enjoy your pony. I spent 30 years working research and development and building high tech military aircraft, and spacecraft. I know quality parts when I see them. By the way, Shaun looks like a healthy middle aged surfer and outdoorsman, most of you will wish you looked as good when you are his age.
Old 10/28/13, 07:09 AM   #37
half cab
Contributor
Guru Bronco

ride like the wind bullseye

Ms.

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejorgenson View Post
I was at the Rocky Roads shop the other day. I met Shaun and a few of his guys. All were friendly and professional. I was shown around the shop and was asked to examine the EB's they were restoring and customizing. All the rigs I examined are well done. Everyone has their own idea of what an EB should be and its purpose. The folks at Rocky Roads are building what their customers want...not everyone wants a rock crawler, some just want a modernized EB to go surfing, skiing, camping or just driving the highways or byways. The products I examined were well made. I am building a EB that will be used for a little of everything. I've purchased products from Tom's, WH, Bob's, West Coast Broncos and Duff's. All have provided me with great products and service. The EB hobby has plenty of room for all. Stop the back biting and enjoy your pony. I spent 30 years working research and development and building high tech military aircraft, and spacecraft. I know quality parts when I see them. By the way, Shaun looks like a healthy middle aged surfer and outdoorsman, most of you will wish you looked as good when you are his age.

Baaa baaa bawaaa ba ....

76 SPORT 351W C4 PDB
Old 10/28/13, 09:56 AM   #38
georgejorgenson

Lancaster
Really? That was an intelligent response. Wipe the drool from your chin and get a life.
Old 10/28/13, 10:01 AM   #39
half cab
Contributor
Guru Bronco

ride like the wind bullseye

Ms.

My Gallery
Garage
I know ....wish I was a hot middle age surfer!

76 SPORT 351W C4 PDB
Old 10/29/13, 09:52 AM   #40
70 Steed
Contributor

Grass Valley, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejorgenson View Post
Really? That was an intelligent response. Wipe the drool from your chin and get a life.
I find it interesting that the OP has one post and you come on here with three posts and say how great Rocky Roads is. Then you get in a p@ssing contest with a guy that has 10,000 posts. Something is fishy here.
Old 10/29/13, 10:07 AM   #41
01Dudley

Knoxville
Sorry guys late to the show, Bert pass the popcorn!
Old 10/29/13, 01:12 PM   #42
welndmn
Bronco Guru

Well Done Man!

Concord, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Seems like iam seeing more and more of these company's who are buying them all up totally restoring them and selling them to guys with deep wallets. Ill never sell mine to someone like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDDBRONCO View Post
That's weird cause every shop i've been to supply their their own tools to the workers
In California, an auto repair shop must provide all the tools, equipment and uniforms an employee needs to do the job. However, if the employer pays at least twice the minimum wage to an employee, then the employer can require that employee to provide her own tools.

In other words, the employer cannot require an employee to provide his own tools unless the employer pays that employee at least $16.00 per hour, which is twice the minimum wage in California. If an employee is paid less than $16.00 per hour, the employer must provide the tools.

Mark, 71 bronco with loads of go fast parts held back by a 200hp engine.
42 inch marshmallows.
Old 10/29/13, 02:24 PM   #43
bbow
Contributor
Bronco Guru

And....Boom goes the dynamite!

Ozark, Alabama
Garage
Need more popcorn.
Old 10/29/13, 02:37 PM   #44
Skiddy
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Lookin at yer booger welds

Shawnee, OK

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbow View Post
Need more popcorn.
how bout some beer too
Attached Images
File Type: gif beer.gif (1.8 KB, 342 views)

Tried True Ford Blue RIP my brother Mstark
74 Bronco with Mustang 5.0 EFI w/painless harness, C4, 4.56 gears, D20 twin stick, 35's, 3 1/2" SL, long arms, 3" BL, rear spool, Grizzly front locker D44, full cage, 5pt harness. bla bla
Old 10/29/13, 02:37 PM   #45
70 Steed
Contributor

Grass Valley, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
In California, an auto repair shop must provide all the tools, equipment and uniforms an employee needs to do the job. However, if the employer pays at least twice the minimum wage to an employee, then the employer can require that employee to provide her own tools.

In other words, the employer cannot require an employee to provide his own tools unless the employer pays that employee at least $16.00 per hour, which is twice the minimum wage in California. If an employee is paid less than $16.00 per hour, the employer must provide the tools.
Sorry I don't know where you got your information, but that's simply not true. I was a Mac Tools Distributor for five years and I had shops ranging from dealers, independent repair shops, body shops, truck leasing companies, bus maintenance facilities, and more. Not one provided the hand tools, air tools and tool boxes to the mechanics. In certain rare instances high end auto dealers will provide the tool box only because they want a uniform look to the shop. In those instances the tech has to work for a specified period of time (long) in order to keep the tool box.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives