• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyones daily driver a Bronco with 170 on 33s?

gbaxster

Loc.
Traverse City
I have a 66 U14 with a 170, 3 on the tree. Runs and drives, but needs finished for the road.. I want to keep the 170, I know most people swapped them out. Has manual steering, and im planning on running 33s. Wondering if anyone has a similar set up and how it does on the road? what mods did you do to the 170? what exhaust?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I would not want to drive a 170 equipped Bronco on a daily basis. It's an anemic engine that makes driving a Bronco a lot less enjoyable than it should be. It sucks with stock size tires, I can't imagine the poor acceleration with 33" tires.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I've got one in the works that will be driven pretty regularly. 66' u15, 4.11, 170, 3 on the tree and 33" skinnies. Will be mostly flat, rural highway with little traffic ever. I wouldn't want to drive in the city or in heavy traffic very frequently, I've done that a few times in my 66' u14 with stock size skinnies and 4.11, it's not that enjoyable.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I hope you have the 4.56s and drive slowly in town.

How wide of a tire? I remember doing 12.50s with manual steering. I thought it was manly to have manual steering. No, it sucked. I was just too stubborn. Eventually I saw the light and felt the power of hydraulics. Come to think of it driving on 10.50s with manual steering sucked pretty bad as well. Those were both V8s, but the I6 isn't light enough to change that.

Also define your "daily drive". 60 miles one way on the highway is way different then 4 miles of slow back roads. Either one can be a daily drive.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey gbaxster, welcome! Cool rig it sounds like.
While I'm with the others regarding the fun effect of the V8 over the six, I ran 32's on 8" wheels for years with manual steering and it wasn't that bad.

Not sure if the others that said they didn't like it had wider wheels, or more negative offset/less backspacing than I did, but I'm not Neil Armstrong and had no issues in my daily drive. Or on the trails for that matter. All of us buddies did the Rubicon with 32's, manual steering and stock suspensions with very little negative feelings about it all.
Now, since I've actually experienced power steering on the trails, I'll never go back to manual!;D But it was still fun.

Definitely not 33x12.50's which is a notably heavier tire than a 32x11.50 for some reason. But I think the narrower wheels with more backspacing makes it easier to steer too.

Back to the power though, I'm with bowsher and hope your rig got the 4.56 option. That would be much more fun with the smaller engine.

Paul

OP
OP
G

gbaxster

Loc.
Traverse City
Im in Northern Michigan, so It will be a summer ride. To/from work mostly 40 miles round trip rural country, some hills. The nearest city is not that big. It wouldnt be that big of deal to put p/s on it. I have a hydraulic steering box already if that would make a better driver. Im just curious if anyone has a near same setup.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Someone may still chime in with their current matching setup. Used to be a lot more of them, but over the years most of them have converted over already. Lots of sixes got the axe in favor of a V8 and it's still a popular swap.
The power steering was not such a big deal until manual boxes became harder and harder to find new, or to have rebuilt.
And that's been so many years now that power steering conversions have long been one of the most often performed mods on our rigs. Along with suspension lifts, it's right up there at the top.

Still, I'm sure someone's got that going on. So hang in there.

Paul

OP
OP
G

gbaxster

Loc.
Traverse City
Ya i have come across a set of used 32x11.5 I thought of giving a shot. I do like the look of the 33s with a 2" lift, but yes they are heavier.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I had a 66 U14 with 265/72/16's which were about 32s. It did quite well around town. The 170 was very well worn and would top out about 50, but as long as you weren't trying to drive on the freeway I'd say it would be just fine, just don't be in a hurry.

I honestly miss driving that old truck around town.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I have a 66 U14 with a 170, 3 on the tree. Runs and drives, but needs finished for the road.. I want to keep the 170, I know most people swapped them out. Has manual steering, and im planning on running 33s. Wondering if anyone has a similar set up and how it does on the road? what mods did you do to the 170? what exhaust?

I drove mine every chance i got for 6 months before turning it over to a body man 18 months ago %) 170/3spd/31x10.50 on stock wheels and 4:11 gears, manual steering and I loved it!!;D;D

I only drove it to work a couple times, but my commute is 99% Interstate. Country road commutes you will be fine, but I'm the type that will stay within a 10 mile radius and test-drive 5 miles one day, 10 miles the next, 20 miles the next etc until she's road-worthy and safe to take long distance.

Mods - The large diameter stock steering wheel definitely helps with the manual steering, so I definitely would not install a smaller aftermarket wheel. Duraspark conversion definitely added some pep to the little 170, but after installing a header my top speed went from 75 to 65. Most likely a back pressure issue, but easier just to keep the stock manifold IMO. Dual reservoir master cylinder is another mod I would suggest for safety reasons.

From what I've learned on this site I limited my tire size to 31's due to engine size and the smaller clutch. Have fun and post pics if you can -jeff

OP
OP
G

gbaxster

Loc.
Traverse City
Thank you all for your replies. I will post pictures when I can. The truck is apart right now and in primer. Its been sitting in a neighbors barn for years, but they sold the place and the bronco had to go too. Score for me. It fires right up and drives around the yard everytime I can. I have to go through the front end. It needs bushings for sure. Probably ujoints as well. A couple wheel studs sre broke in the front so i thought about discs right away. I drove it home a couple miles when I bought it. I know its no v8, but just cant bring myself to rip the heart out of an othewise origional u14 except the fenders are cut with bushwackers.

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I tried to daily drive mine with the 170 and 235/85r16's 4.11 gears, and stock 3spd... 0-55 could be measured in days. I also wanted to keep the I6, I was looking for a 200 but found a 250. Now i'm running 35's and daily driving....lots of options to keep the I6, but small tires are probably best with the 170, Good Luck!

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
That’s pushing a lot of meat even if you had 4.56 gears and a healthy 170.
I don’t think you’re going to enjoy it, especially on a grade or if you ever have to pull into traffic. Get some 31s and upgrade the stock carb.

bmbm

170 and 33s

You might find some interesting reading on fordsix.com for mods to the 170.

cleanportland

Loc.
Sherwood, OR
I have a 66 u14 rebuilt 170, stock 3 on the tree, manual steering, power drum brakes, 411 gears, with 33 12.5 15 bfgs on 10 wide rims. I have no problems steering once moving, it is actually easier to turn than my brothers 72 with a 302 and stock size tires (28s?) by alot. Acceleration leaves a lot to be desired but it gets around ok. I am able to go down the highway 65 at about 3500rpms. I feel there is a big gap in gears so 40-45 is tough to keep in the power. I do wish I would have spent the $ on the v8 upgrade rather than the 170 rebuild, I have others with 302 and they are much more fun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you want to be happy with the 6 cylinder just never drive one with a V8. Because once you do the 6 will be a goner. As long as you don't know you will be happy.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Off topic, but where are you at? I am in Williamsburg about a mile from the new Meijer

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
If you want to be happy with the 6 cylinder just never drive one with a V8. Because once you do the 6 will be a goner. As long as you don't know you will be happy.

Do not totally agree with this statement; sure the original 170/200 is weak, but so is the original 289/302. Both have the same shitty 3 speed tranny so to suggest one is a night & day difference...I don't think so