• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mystery Government Bronco: Please Tell Me What My VIN Means!!!!

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
I was just reading the thing about the marti auto reports, and it said that the free ford report would give no info on the DSO code. Has this changed?

I have been reading up on the web about custom DSO's and it looks like they weren't painted from factory. But factory had to do something so did they just prime it?

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
yep same exact color. I was reading a post about this guy that had an 830153 DSO code for a 67 ford truck, and it was made for the U.S. Army and was painted an op green color. Sounds familiar!

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
VERY cool pic. So how do I go about getting DSO info? Will ford not help me with this at all? Who else has access to this information?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
kaisermusic said:
VERY cool pic. So how do I go about getting DSO info? Will ford not help me with this at all? Who else has access to this information?

Marti's report will give you DSO info.

Todd Z.

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I don't know anything about DSO codes but I saw a documentary about the embassy evacuation at the end of the Vietnam war. In one of the interviews they talk to a marine would talked about them destrying every vehicle belonging to the embassy. They showed a real quick picture and sure enough there were about 5 Broncos with thier engines ablaze via phospourous grenades. :'(

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
I am going to try and exhaust my options with ford first.

But what about books on this subject? Do you think that any books on the military around that time period would have anything about these government issues?

I don't know where to start looking so if anyone has a heads up, it would be much appreciated.

Also, If they weren't painted from the factory, what color was the primer? It seems like a have a red based primer similiar to the color of red clay soil.

Anyone have any pics of a bronco that left the factory with just primer?

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
In the late 60's to the early 70's I worked at a pipe fabrication shop. We did a lot of Goverment work and they always wanted it primed with red lead primer.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
On the ford info, it is best to call them, I found that the address was bad and received my letter back from ford. I called them and in about 2-3 weeks I got a reply. It didn't go into the dso info. If you would like to look at a sample go to:

www.broncohalfcab.classicbroncos.com

it's on one of the 76 bronco pages.

jd

Pony2

Loc.
Lenoir City Tn.
dso

first of all good luck in youre venture in finding out what you got my experience is with dso on another horse is some times export vehicles got a blank some military usualy a low quality green and some were in house or ford corperate vehicles again good luck and interesting post

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
ANyone notice the date stamp on the pic
June of 65?

When did the BRonco s go on sale for the military to have 3 in one spot?

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
Looks like that Ford sheet isn't going to do much for me. Now, are they against giving out DSO information, or does no one request it specifically?

I looked at my colors again and posted a pic or two here again:

www.designatedmedia.com/broncovin.html

Check out the bright red primer and grayish green. Look familiar?

I still want to know if anyone knows how to get a hold of a military branch to see if these broncos were deployed into service. Anyone know a good place to start looking or calling?

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
colors

kaisermusic said:
Looks like that Ford sheet isn't going to do much for me. Now, are they against giving out DSO information, or does no one request it specifically?

I looked at my colors again and posted a pic or two here again:

www.designatedmedia.com/broncovin.html

Check out the bright red primer and grayish green. Look familiar?

I still want to know if anyone knows how to get a hold of a military branch to see if these broncos were deployed into service. Anyone know a good place to start looking or calling?

yeah I ran into the red primer this weekend.....I am cleaning the cargo area and rear wheel tubs and while sanding got down to the red primer.... I will post some pictures tomorrow....

kaisermusic....did you say you have green seats? do you have sun visors?
My seats are the parchment or off white and I do not have sun visiors so sure if that color would even match the seats....think the PO removed the visors when he put a wiper motor in.....

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
I had the parchment seats, but someone dyed them green. I am also missing my visors, but the mounting holes are there. I still have vac wipers.

Do you have seats with a sort of weave pattern in the middle of the roll and tucks? I can post a pic if you don't know what I mean, but most seats aren't like this that I see. Most are all smooth.

Oh, and found out my engine is probably not original either, but is still a 6 cyl.

I need to check the tranny but I don't know where to look. Anyone know how to match the tranny up with the body to see if they went together?

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
also, check out my gallery and look at the pic that has the front view of the brush guard. I have since cut it off, but the PO said it was on there before he got it....

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I have no idea whether this is relevant or not but - - -

My 68 had a government DSO code (Canadian) and a little digging with the Department of Defence discovered that the 68 I had was an aircraft tug in the Arctic for its military life.
For what it is worth.

TOFIC

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
walker949 said:
I have no idea whether this is relevant or not but - - -

My 68 had a government DSO code (Canadian) and a little digging with the Department of Defence discovered that the 68 I had was an aircraft tug in the Arctic for its military life.
For what it is worth.

TOFIC

Nice info....of course it is relevant....I think it is great to know the history of the vehicle you put time and money into......

especially if it had a unique purpose.....Did you get your DSO info from Marti's?

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I have a 1961 F250 4WD and it has the exact same gauge cluster as the Bronco except idiot lights instead of the gauges. The 61-64's seem to be this way.

kcmacg

Loc.
Lafayette, Louisiana
When i got mine the title company had a list of all the PO's, the original was LSU Forestry Division, but there is a persons name who signed for it.... Could you do that and maybe track down where the individual was stationed, you know kinda work backwards?