• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pressure gauge pegged

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Gents, I had a little wiring snafu and in the process of fixing it I might have accidentally crossed the ignition, oil, and temp wires coming out of the firewall going to the coil and sending units. Now the oil gauge is pegged, but everything else works fine. Did I nuke the oil pressure sending unit?

Thanks for the help

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if the gauge does a complete sweep when the key is turned on I would think the wire to the sender is grounded, or the sender is bad. If the gauge is pegged with the key off I never heard of that. Good luck

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If it's a new sender they could've gave you the wrong one. They gave me a newer sender and it pegged the gauge.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
It was working correctly before I mixed up the wires. I have continuity between the sending unit and the gauge. It is one of those summit racing tachometers with temp, oil, and volts built in. Only the oil is pegged.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
If the gauge returns to zero with the key off, then your gauge is fine. If you unplug the white/red wire at the sender, and the gauge stays at zero,(key on) I'd say your sender is bad. If unplugged, and the gauge still pegs (key on), then you have a short to ground in that wire.

Mark

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Thanks Garberz. Every time I "fix" something, I end up breaking something else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I put new conduit on all my wiring before the holidays and haven't started it since, so it was pretty frustrating trouble shooting the problem. And the funniest part was, it wasn't supposed to be a "Bronco" day. I was just moving it to get to a motor to take to the machine shop!

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I think the gauge is toast. Ran the test Garberz suggested and it is still pegged. I'll get a new gauge to run it against.