• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Harness Ballast Resistor .- where did you mount it?

jonmelton

Where did everyone mount the ballast resistor from the Painless Wiring harness? I want to switch to MSD but don't have the $$ right now so I have to hook it up.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine used to be mounted to the passenger side firewall, next to the voltage regulator.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I mounted mine on the firewall on the outboard side of the master cylinder. Made an L shaped bracket to keep it a ways off of the firewall - they do get hot.

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

I mounted mine on the firewall on the outboard side of the master cylinder. Made an L shaped bracket to keep it a ways off of the firewall - they do get hot.

I mocked something like that up last night, it worked pretty well. I think this is the direction I'll take it.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Here's were I mounted the stock one and then the new msd one .

Attachments

• IMG_2839.jpg
    IMG_2839.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN0953.jpg
    DSCN0953.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

I mounted mine in the trash, or the Painless box anyway. I ended up changing ignition to MSD, so I did not need the resistor.

That's what I want to do, but need to save up some money first.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I used the resistor with my Painless Harness , duraspark II and MSD blaster coil { according to MSD the resistor is required with this configuration }
When i went to a MSD " Ready to Run " distributor i removed the resistor but left the wiring for the resistor and zip tied it up out of the way and out of sight. { it uses two female spade connectors and i used a male/male connector to connect the ends} Just in case i want to go back to the Duraspark II .