• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got Me a New Seven-2

Nemisus

Loc.
North Bay, CA
Very cool sir! Congrats on the find.

This reminds me of of when I located my 74. I hesitated long enough till I manged to swoop in and get a great deal. I talked the guy down 2500 off the asking price from when I first spoke with him. Of course it had ZERO paper work and later had 2 VIN's stamped on the frame. Fortunately I learned it was a Ford screw up and all is well now.

Good deals are hard to come buy it seems. Nice find indeed!

Thanks for sharing 1strodeo

Cheers

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it me or are those rear marker lights vertical like a 77?

Good catch. Looks like someone cut the holes for the rear markers that way. At least on the one side I could see.
Everything else is consistent with a '72. Standard 9" rear housing. No dash light bars. T-shift transfer case. And the kicker, the rear tub inner housings for covering the filler necks are old style. The ones with the gas doors on '77's had a much larger cover inside the bed.

The front fenders were replaced at some point (no cutouts for the marker lights) and maybe the rears were too and the person just liked the vertical look.
I don't have a '77 pic in front of me to compare to, but the hole looks a little lower on the body than a stock '77 does. But that's just vague recollection. Never paid much attention to the exact location on the side of the body.

Paul

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thought for sure I had posted this earlier ?:?

Attachments

• 0B6281EA-5544-46E5-B1FF-A41182EB6D02.jpg
    0B6281EA-5544-46E5-B1FF-A41182EB6D02.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Very cool sir! Congrats on the find.

This reminds me of of when I located my 74. I hesitated long enough till I manged to swoop in and get a great deal. I talked the guy down 2500 off the asking price from when I first spoke with him. Of course it had ZERO paper work and later had 2 VIN's stamped on the frame. Fortunately I learned it was a Ford screw up and all is well now.

Good deals are hard to come buy it seems. Nice find indeed!

Thanks for sharing 1strodeo

Cheers

Thank you Sir...only difference is nowadays you can't hesitate so much %)

I've been over every nook and cranny of the tub thinking there's gotta be something wrong with it but it's got a bunch of new metal. Had to tell my wife it was worth double to convince her to let me buy it...I think that was pretty accurate ;)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Had to tell my wife it was worth double to convince her to let me buy it...I think that was pretty accurate ;)

They are hard to convince sometimes.. lol Glad you got her on your side.

The fun w/these rigs is endless

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! All lights working, except headlights one would work on high beam the other on low beam, then they both went out seemed like a fuse but I haven't looked. I was taking it half mile down the road to fill up with gas and my wife adamantly objects because it has no hood...I'm like babe hoods are not required by law (I'm pretty sure) but the steering is still pretty wild so I decided not to take it...on my way back home it started acting like it was running out of gas, go figure.

Anyway I'm pulling out of the driveway in my truck and notice the tail lights are still on in the Bronco. Light switch is off, i push the brake pedal and nothing, oh well always something. At least it's legal now

Attachments

• 4E12387D-4E0D-411E-AE6A-C1D220B7FC62.jpg
    4E12387D-4E0D-411E-AE6A-C1D220B7FC62.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 119

Readhead

Check the headlight switch and the dimmer switch the tal lights staying on sounds like the headlight switch

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Will do, for the record the rear side markers only come on when it’s running (maybe thats normal I dunno) and the right reverse light comes on with the light switch (I’m guessing the left needs a bulb) can someone tell me about the reverse switch, location etc? My 66 doesn’t have one thanks

Readhead

Reverse light coming on sounds like a bad ground to me ... tighten the inner housing ... the reverse switch on my 69 was on the coulm when it was stock ... now it’s under the floor shifter cover I have no clue about the marker lights ... the dimmer switch does not have to be grounded

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well first, before I go all Negative Nelly on you, congrats on getting it running (mostly) and on the road (partly) and legal (not really) and having fun!

Now for the Negative Nelly stuff...
Red's got you covered on some, "but wait! there's more!" as they say.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

Doctor Fronken-steen right in our midst!
So I forget, is this the '72? Or are you Franken-Bronco-ing something ('77 type rear marker)?

All lights working, except headlights one would work on high beam the other on low beam...

Could be wiring, but just as likely here one bulb is out on low while the other is out on high. Easy to test or check though.

...I'm like babe hoods are not required by law (I'm pretty sure)

Depends on the area maybe, but more and more regions are likely making that illegal too. Not that we used to think much of it, but there are a lot of things that can get thrown up and out and instead of stopping at the hood might go through a windshield. More than likely someone else's. Which is in fact what most laws are more worried about. A bit for you, but more for others.
Check with a cop next time you're chatting one up.;)

but the steering is still pretty wild so I decided not to take it...on my way back home it started acting like it was running out of gas, go figure.

You started a thread on the steering yet? Any idears what's up yet?
We love a good steering dilemma here.;D

Anyway I'm pulling out of the driveway in my truck and notice the tail lights are still on in the Bronco. Light switch is off, i push the brake pedal and nothing, oh well always something.

Yep. Always...
And it sounds like yours is going to have all sorts of electrical gremlins for the near future.

At least it's legal now

Well that's a matter of local opinion! Legal as in you have the paperwork, or as in it would pass inspection now? In most areas that have inspections you'd never make it past the first test of the lights!
But hey, if it's got it's papers and nobody's askin' then you're good.
But still have lots of work to do before heading back out on the road.
But you knew that already...:cool:

Good point thanks, they sure did go out like an overloaded circuit though!

That's exactly what might have happened. The headlight switch has it's own internal circuit breaker. Overload it, or if it just gets old, it will go out. However, "usually" it comes back on after it cools down (thermally activated, auto-resetting type) so they would usually come back on.
Did they act that way at all? If not maybe the switch is totally buggered due to the breaker getting old.
Playing around with the high-beams, especially if more powerful H4's have been installed, is usually what puts an old switch over the edge.

Will do, for the record the rear side markers only come on when it’s running (maybe thats normal I dunno)

Nope. This is the '72 in your sig? No front side markers I see. New fenders or was it like that already?
I see the rears are there but in the factory '77-only vertical position. That something you did by choice, or were they that way already? Either way though, any side markers from the factory should be on in both switch positions.
They are often loose and finicky bulb sockets though, so might be old and crusty and recalcitrant and not wanting to play until they either see more voltage (engine running and alternator putting out more power) or the vibration of the engine is causing them to turn on.
Next time the lights are on but the markers not lit, walk up and smack the fender near the lens, or just hit the lens and see if they come on, or flicker at least.
Then reach behind and wiggle the wires.

...and the right reverse light comes on with the light switch (I’m guessing the left needs a bulb) can someone tell me about the reverse switch, location etc? My 66 doesn’t have one thanks

Yep, as was said the factory put a simple plunger-type switch at the base of the steering column under the hood, where the shift lever for 1st/reverse would hit it when up in the REV position.
It might even be clamped to the column with a hose clamp holding the bracket.

Two wires, both Black w/red will be there. Power will be at one with the key on, but not the other until the switch is pushed. Easy circuit to test, even if you have to check it's whole length.

And yes, the sockets on these old lights get old, rusty and crusty, and bulbs go out too. So several things to check.

Oh and also the dimmer switch is not mounted/grounded

No problem. It's a simple pass-through type switch, with on wire coming in and two wires going out to the lights. The grounds are at the lights themselves (radiator core support) so the switch can work without being mounted.
Unlike voltage regulators and starter relays, which need grounding.

Got all that?;D
Fun to come...

Paul

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Paul as always, thanks for the insight!

This is a 72 frame, warranty plate and title...as for the body it appears to be 80% new steel so perhaps the PO was not concerned with year-correct fenders and quarters? And with this much new steel, nor am I. I have never been able to speak to the PO, only his dad.

I guess I'm batting 1.000 with grounding stuff to metal, first with the fuse box then with the dimmer switch ?:? I thought you had posted in the past that the back of the fuse box gets cruddy and causes problems, which at the time I thought meant grounding.

I will look for a reverse switch but pretty sure I don't have one...I've been messing with that column shift linkage enough to think I'd have noticed...but all the wires coming out of the column were cut so I'm guessing it ain't original either %)

Usually the only time I chat with cops is when they're standing and I'm sitting :D and Ohio does not do inspections, other than a VIN inspection if you have an out of state title. The 72 hard top and new hood should be out of paint 'any day now' but of course this is the same guy that told me my 66 tub would be done by July 4, 2017. It is registered, documented, titled, turn signals and brake lights work...or they did...maybe I should've just gotten a new harness...:(

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
One thing at a time.. Legal is always a plus.. Down the road you go :)

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Well first, before I go all Negative Nelly on you, congrats on getting it running (mostly) and on the road (partly) and legal (not really) and having fun!

Depends on the area maybe, but more and more regions are likely making that illegal too. Not that we used to think much of it, but there are a lot of things that can get thrown up and out and instead of stopping at the hood might go through a windshield. More than likely someone else's. Which is in fact what most laws are more worried about. A bit for you, but more for others.
Check with a cop next time you're chatting one up.;)

Took them about 10 minutes to give me an answer, but it is not illegal to drive without a hood, at least in my town, but like you said not a good idea

You started a thread on the steering yet? Any idears what's up yet?
We love a good steering dilemma here.;D

Started a thread yesterdee, found out the tires were seriously over-inflated for starters (45 PSI !!!)

And it sounds like yours is going to have all sorts of electrical gremlins for the near future.

speaking of, once I found out I could legally drive to the gas station I did just that, then cruised the neighborhood for a bit, parked in the driveway, around dark I went to start it to pull in the garage and the starter would not disengage, even if I shut the key off!! Gremlins for sure man, the good news is I still have some winter left to work em out

Yep, as was said the factory put a simple plunger-type switch at the base of the steering column under the hood, where the shift lever for 1st/reverse would hit it when up in the REV position.
It might even be clamped to the column with a hose clamp holding the bracket.

Two wires, both Black w/red will be there. Power will be at one with the key on, but not the other until the switch is pushed. Easy circuit to test, even if you have to check it's whole length.

Paul

I have no reverse switch that I can tell, do they make new ones?

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Got my Marti, not a Baja or military model like I'd hoped :( ;)

Attachments

• 72Marti.pdf
    206.7 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Got some heat/sound barrier laid down, need another box to cover everything like doors and quarters, the rest of the bed.

Also got some rough cutouts for the rear quarters, hope to have them covered maybe tomorrow, PO included plenty of extra fabric which he used on the door panels and I think he did a pretty darn good job.

Got samples from Melissa at Bronco Hut so will be ordering seat covers and carpet shortly, making progress is what it’s all about!

Attachments

• 88E24542-E265-4E11-A093-C99F30B269CC.jpg
    88E24542-E265-4E11-A093-C99F30B269CC.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 68
  • F702ED44-BDB4-4E08-9E32-FD1BDBA56575.jpg
    F702ED44-BDB4-4E08-9E32-FD1BDBA56575.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 65
  • EF45010E-DEC5-4648-8E9D-82F9A5FAD005.jpg
    EF45010E-DEC5-4648-8E9D-82F9A5FAD005.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg