• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Money Pit - Phase III

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
still have the white steelies that your bronco originally came with? if so how much for them? looking for stock steelies...

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
still have the white steelies that your bronco originally came with? if so how much for them? looking for stock steelies...

PM sent

I didn't get much done this evening - I got my tires mounted up on the wheels and also picked up the rest of my wheel studs and nuts - $123 worth :-X I also got a box in the mail - my high steer arms arrived ;D

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got some more work done tonight. I ground off all the nasty rusty paint and painted the hubs for the 70 - no pictures yet, they turned out nice though.

I drilled out the Ballistic brackets to fit the center pins on the leaf springs - that worked out perfectly as well -

After I painted the spring plates I pulled the Bronco into the garage and smelled gas...

Looks like I'll be doing a fuel pump with the carb rebuild....

Just for fun -

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
bleed ports are at the highest point yeah? (can't tell from the photos..)

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Are you going to run the stock knuckles or beefed up Crane style with those high steer arms and hydro setup?

mudford

Loc.
Midland, MI
Kyle, Just to give you the headsup on this like El Jefe said, the caliper bleeders need to be the highest point to get the air out. I am hoping that its just the picture that makes it look like they aren't. I put my brackets on wrong and posted pictures here. I am glad someone told me it was wrong, but it sucks to have to cut the brackets off and turn them and reweld them.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
bleed ports are at the highest point yeah? (can't tell from the photos..)

Yup - axle was just suck under there to mock up how stupid wide it is goig to end up ;D

Are you going to run the stock knuckles or beefed up Crane style with those high steer arms and hydro setup?

Rock'n stock until it breaks - when a shaft goes I will go all chromoly, CTM's, and drive flanges. If the knuckle goes I'll switch to Crane or Reid Racing.

Kyle, Just to give you the headsup on this like El Jefe said, the caliper bleeders need to be the highest point to get the air out. I am hoping that its just the picture that makes it look like they aren't. I put my brackets on wrong and posted pictures here. I am glad someone told me it was wrong, but it sucks to have to cut the brackets off and turn them and reweld them.

Here is a pic - the pinion is at where we think it will be...

Slowpony

Nice build. Nice tubing bender, did you come up with your own design for the bender or did you buy plans?

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Shackles are not slated to get here until Monday - you would think ordering on Sunday would give you enough time to get them there by Friday... guess not :mad:

In the mean time we are going to take off the front fender and look at fixing the worst rusty spot on the truck. The drivers side kick panel isn't there anymore and the door flexes a little bit when it is opened....

Also taking off the front fender so we have more room to fab up the coil spacer and trackbar mount on this side...

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Waiting for the shackles - so we tore into the front end. Wanted the fender off so we could work on the driver side a bit easier due to the fact we have to not only build something for the coil bucket to mount to, but also a track bar mount. The door has always sagged a bit - I knew it was bad... here is what is currently left of the Bronco.

Plans are to replace the kick panel with 1/8" and tie it into the floor, dash, and door pillar. We are going to mount some thick steel on the back of what is left of the door post and tie it into the kick panel and the rock sliders we are going to build. I think the door will be stronger then stock when we are done - at least the passenger side still looks and feel like new metal.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Still waiting on shackles - so we started tearing into the other stuff we still have to do... Plasma cut out the rockers -

Dropped the tank - it will be for sale. New plastic style tank - doesn't leak.

Trimmed everything and clamped up the steel

Made some measurements and got a test piece made.

Made gusset plates and integrated the fronts into the body mount.

Clamped everything up and tacked it together

Also test fitted my angle in - with a little work it is going to be stronger then factory.

Dropped it off the truck and prepped it for welding. Check out how it contours the frame.

I also yanked out the front axle. Radius arm nuts came of easily as well did the coils, brake lines and the track-bar was a breeze. Steering sucked and after breaking a pickle fork I just cut the end off...

Front axle came out like this so it will just bolt right into Joe's Bronco...

Shoved the D60 under there to see how it will fit... looks like the pumpkin will sit between the frame rail and the oil pan.... It will never get this close with coils - so I shouldn't have any problems with clearance.

The one slider is all welded together and will get paint. I should have my shackles in tomorrow afternoon - plan on installing the springs tomorrow and getting the axle under the truck. Want to get the perches burn in and get some paint on that bare axle. Will also be nice to get the truck up off the ground and much safer with the wheels and axle under it...

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Well - got my shackles and was able to get the springs axle and shocks installed.

Caliper bleeders ended up perfect!

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got the axle fully welded, cleaned, primed and painted. Turned out nice -

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
looking real good so far perhaps the toughest part will be the rust :p I'd invest in a lot of wire wheels for the grinder. good luck!

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
looking real good so far perhaps the toughest part will be the rust :p I'd invest in a lot of wire wheels for the grinder. good luck!

Haha - flap wheels do wonders. I'm not sure what I'll do about the body, it will be interesting at best. I'll eventually paint it and bed liner the inside...

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got my rear axle buttoned up tonight - cleaned up and painted axle shafts, installed and filled axle with lube. Needs a new pinion seal - I'll order one next week - figure it might be easier to replace the seal with the tires on the axle.

Tomorrow I put in the dock and I may be able to work on the Bronco if I am not exhausted after the dock. Sunday is obviously not a work day as I'll be gone - although I took off Thurs and Fri of next week to help things along.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got the Bronco sitting on tires for a change... it should be stable.

Brakes and shock mounts turned out perfect

Rock slider is on and trimmed on one side - need to cut the other side to clear the tire. Not sure if the tire goes straight up and down or if the axle rotates to the rear slightly or not...

Here is a reference shot