• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rock Slider Instal

PaveBronco

Getting around to installing the Rock sliders I've been tripping over for the last 3 years. But, what do you guys do about the rocker panel lip, where the inside and outside meet? Looks like, from searching the interweb they just get slapped on, but that cant be right.
I thought of cutting the outside lip off, bending the inside lip over and welding. or cutting both off and welding together.
Anyone done anything like this?

Awaiting your wisdom.

Attachments

• Sliders.JPG
    Sliders.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Rocker.JPG
    Rocker.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 119

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm thinking they are supposed to cover that lip up, but idk. I did mine with 2x5 tubing just below the door.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My guess your either mounting the whole thing under the lip or outside in front of the lip. Might want to check whoever built them. I would not damage the welded lip as its structural to the body. Some people mount the sliders in place of the rockers. cut out the front of the rocker and the bottom of the outside rocker and use the lip to weld on the back of the slider.

GloNDark

I've installed 3 sets from different vendors. 1 on my rig and 2 on others. All three went right over that welded seam.

Try testing fitting them and see how they slide up. I will bet that they fit best with the seam still in place. With the seam gone, I know that mine would have been too high up and get in the way of the door closing.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
I deleted my rusty/bent rockers and made my sliders. I torched off or hammered over any seam in the way. I also connected my sliders to the frame.

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/cutting-off-rockers

Of course I made a side receiver hitch for the winch or a removable step for the wife.

Attachments

• bronco 1.jpg
    bronco 1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 95
  • bronco 2.jpg
    bronco 2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 103

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I have some duffs sliders ive been deciding the same thing on. I dont like the gap left at the front and rear edge of the sliders when installed. Gap is there be ause the lip hangs down. Also there are two square cutout holes in the back of the sliders cor the angled supprts and that stops upward installation of the sliders also. My plan is to hammer the pinch weld up flat and extend the cutouts in the back to allow a smooth un-gapped installation

OP
OP
PaveBronco

PaveBronco

I have some duffs sliders ive been deciding the same thing on. I dont like the gap left at the front and rear edge of the sliders when installed. Gap is there be ause the lip hangs down. Also there are two square cutout holes in the back of the sliders cor the angled supprts and that stops upward installation of the sliders also. My plan is to hammer the pinch weld up flat and extend the cutouts in the back to allow a smooth un-gapped installation

Thanks all, and thanks Crush for vindicating my rocker gap hang-up. I think I'll give that a go, see how it works. I was also planning to beef up the inner body rocker with some steel, (maybe outside also) punch holes and spot weld to the body, to help attach nutserts, secured with counter sunk hex head's. Mine are WH and come with self tapping screws, and say not to be used as a step, which is exactly what I need them for. Also debating if I will tie them to the frame, but still on the fence about re-installing my Aux tank. Not a hardcore wheeler at all, cant afford to be, so the frame tie in is last resort if the nutsert and beef up plates don't work.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Do not tie them to your frame "and" the body.

They move somewhat independently and tieing them together could be bad.