• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Overheating problems - your suggestions?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well today is the first test. It's going to be 100 degrees today and I plan on driving around town all afternoon to see if the things we did worked, or helped.

The timing was off so I fixed that with the help of my father. Then Yeller came by and we swapped out the thermostat to a 195 and hooked up the vacuum advance. We tried to install the 7 blade fan but there wasn't enough room. That'll be the next project if I overheat today!

Here's to a hot day and a cool engine!

LOL, never ending right..

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Update:
We can't move the fan back any, it'll hit the air compressor (just like you thought jw0747). But the timing was off as many of you suspected. I discovered that the distributor was loose, like not tightened when the engine was swapped loose. Which is probably why the timing was off? Anyway, it's secure now and the radiator is as well. I'll see if this helps any of the heating issues this next weekend. Then swap out the cooler when I get back.

And I'm assuming your radiator is as far forward as possible? I had to do some modifications to move my radiator forward to accommodate my AC unit. There is a short blip on my build thread showing my modification to the radiator mounts. Edit: Post #61 on my thread.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Oops, I forgot to update this after I went out. Life gets hectic sometimes!

I ran it relentlessly for four hours in 100 degree heat, the heat index outside was close to 107. It did not overheat! But I did have to shut the A/C off if I was stopped at a stoplight for too long. The engine would start to sputter but would even out once I turned the A/C off. But my overheating problem would rear it's ugly head without using the A/C so the fact that I can use it now is a step in the right direction.

I think a truer test will be when I drive it on a longer trip but all and all I'm happy to be able to go about town and not overheat as easily.

In a couple of weeks I'm taking it on a road trip so that'll be the next test.

NCBeachBronco

Hmmm

Glad I read this thread before I broke out the Saws-All to my core support!

I have temp creep when stopped and have tried a variety of things. Bought a low profile high CFM electric fan and still no room between radiator and engine. Was about to hack the core support to move rad forward, but hated the idea.
I have a Vintage Air kit - well, all but condenser-took it off to see if I can get cooling issue solved first...

I like the idea of a fixed pitch fan - my Flex fan definitely wasn't cutting it.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Glad I read this thread before I broke out the Saws-All to my core support!

I have temp creep when stopped and have tried a variety of things. Bought a low profile high CFM electric fan and still no room between radiator and engine. Was about to hack the core support to move rad forward, but hated the idea.
I have a Vintage Air kit - well, all but condenser-took it off to see if I can get cooling issue solved first...

I like the idea of a fixed pitch fan - my Flex fan definitely wasn't cutting it.

It does seem to be a common problem. Let us know what you try and what works or not :)

NCBeachBronco

How's that A/C treating you this week? :)

Can't complain - but can't praise it either, lol it's not charged. Ended up having to cut the core support to get the fixed pitch fan in. So far engine is cooling better than before, but still not truly happy with it. The saga continues...

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
dragged this from back a few pages
Those suck for a tranny cooler.
I tried one, it is now a power steering cooler.

Yep, we use that for PS cooler on our short-track, asphalt race car. Works great for that, but not enough for a tranny cooler. If it could be mounted where it gets a lot of accelerated air flow it "might" work as an auxiliary cooler.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Just wanted to chime in and report that I went an entire Texas summer without overheating once!!!!