• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I learn to MIG weld on floor pans? (Sandblasted and lots of cheese) pics added

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I've only stick welded, and that was in 8th grade. But I'd really love to learn and do welding, and be able to do welding, on the bronco. I've watched friends weld. I've watched every video I can find. I've seen people use sheet metal screws, then pull them out one at a time and weld in that spot.

My fear is not learning to actually weld. My fear is cutting too much, or not knowing what to weld the new piece TO.

Or, I could pay someone. But I'd really like to learn.

Help a brotha out! ;D

Jim

Last edited:

1owner66

Loc.
Georgetown Texas
MIG welding, once you get the hang of it, is the easiest welding there is.

With the right settings and a good ground it's as simple as writing.

The name MIG refers to welding with gas but some consider flux core wire welding MIG as well. You can use both but for sheet metal I'd recommend using solid wire and gas.

Jolly Roger

I had the same thoughts and a course catalog came in the mail from the local community college this summer and they were offering introductory mig/tig welding classes 1 night a week. $150. Signed up and taking it now and love it. Plan to take more next semester. Check out your local they may be offering something like this.

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
Man, ObscureMachine, you and I are on the same path. If you lived in Charlotte, we could work on our Broncos together and knock these projects out. :cool:

I'm guessing you've already seen Mark's thread here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142374

It's awesome, and is pretty much exactly how I'm going to weld mine in. I have 0 welding experience, but my buddy has a little. I think we can bang it out. My rig isn't going to be a beauty queen, so anything is an improvement over the Swiss cheese I currently have.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You can learn to weld with a MIG pretty easily. Get some scrap sheet metal pieces and spend some time playing with the welder. I would really recommend the shielding gas one as well, less spatter and the welders usually have a setting chart on them that are pretty good. I usually get the amp setting set than you can weld on a scrap piece and adjust the wire speed till it sounds good. After an afternoon of practice, you would be able to weld in floor pans. I would also pick up a pneumatic punch/flange tool to punch your plug weld holes. Saves a ton of drilling. Ken

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Try some scraps first with the same metal thickness, get things setup properly (think frying bacon for the proper sound), then go for it. Blowing through the metal is about the biggest issue for thin metal, might need to turn down wire speed or power along with moving around to different areas to allow some cooling. A grinder will clean things nice when done welding.

mrdrnac

Contributor
you can do it:cool:

AGREE! I learned mig welding doing it on my Bronco floor boards as well..... you will have had much practice by the time you are finished. You can use a disc grinder to smooth them down if necessary. The inert gas is a big help as stated above.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
take the old floorpans and learn to weld those before you try on your new metal. get the feel of what it takes to weld thinner metal. then you can do some bend test to see how well you are doing. if you start burning holes in your new floorpans you wont be happy.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Bought my Bronco and a Haynes manual. Next thing I bought was a Lincoln 110 Flux core welder. This was back before youtube and the likes.

Got some scrap to practice on and talked to a few guys that knew how to weld and been rocking on the Bronco since then. Heck, I weld all kinds of stuff now. People bring me stuff to weld.....

Youtube is a great place to learn.

Having down both gas and flux core, I like gas better. Also, the better the welder i.e. more setting the better. Mine is A, B, C, D for heat and you can control the speed but sometimes you need a B.5 if you know what I mean.

Tim

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I learned like that, but started with my window support and upper/lower cowls... then took on my passenger inner fender and wheel well.. It's fun, but hard work and you will learn and get better towards the end

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Using either scrap metal or your old floor pans to learn would be a much better idea than trying to learn on your new floor pans.
Make your mistakes on something that does not matter.
MIG welding is easy, but not so easy that you are guaranteed to do it right the first time.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Go with a name you recognize.

Hobart
Lincoln
Esab
Miller

All great.
Miller with Auto-Set is prolly the best and most expensive, but Esab has some really neat features too.
I run a Hobart 187. It was just too good of a deal at the time. It came with a Miller handle and cord. I love it. This Hobart has been really good to me.
I was a novice welder when I got it but my welds looked much better immediately after using it.

Morale of the story. Buy a quality unit. You won't be disappointed and your welds will look better.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I was in the same boat as you, oxy-acetylene in high school, but never mig or tig, like was said, practice on some old scrap the same thickness as what you're working with, its more difficult to weld thin metal, hell I practiced with a Hobart 140 w/shielding gas, and that's what I recommend. You will be surprised at how fast you can learn with a good quality machine. Good Luck. Jim ;)

yakelys69

I believe spending $$ on a decent helmet was the best investment I made in regards to welding. Currently I use a 3m speed glass. Im sure other good alternatives exist but my opinion is to stay away from HF helmets .

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
A good helmet is a good idea. I have been welding for years and a couple years ago I started having trouble putting good welds down. Turns out it was my eyes were getting old. Went to the weld shop and they recommended a cheater lens in the helmet. Being able to see your welds is a necessity. Ken

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
I'm diving in with extreme inexperience in a couple of weeks and I feel great about it, because I have this site. Thanks all