• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Explorer swap idea

Bronco1970man

Loc.
Arizona
I'm wanting to do 5.0 swap in the future and I was thinking if I could find a low mileage Ford Explorer in good shape I could daily drive it make sure the motor and transmission are and stay in good condition, and then when I'm ready do the swap. I like the idea of having the motor, transmission, harness, and all the accessories ready to roll.

Anyone do this before? Thoughts? Best Explorer for the motor and transmission combo for the swap?

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
It's usually cheaper anyway to buy the whole car

A lot of thunderbird / Cougars had the 5.0 too
And they are dirt cheap

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. But it's easier and less expensive to adapt if it's from a 4wd or AWD Explorer.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And get an early '97 if you don't want the "GT40P" heads. I prefer them myself (so '98-'01) but they're harder to adapt exhaust headers to. Stock Exploder manifolds work, but are more restrictive. Bronco Hut has headers for the P heads, but it's something you have to be aware of.

Paul

ame

I just pulled the 5.0, trans and transfer out of my Explorer last week. Bought it for $500 and used it as a spare vehicle for a year first, granted it had a lot of issues.

Personally if I am going to go through the work of a swap I will rebuild the engine and trans first to know its good,they are relatively inexpensive to rebuild if no hard parts are needed.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Anyone do this before? Thoughts? Best Explorer for the motor and transmission combo for the swap?

Once or twice =). See the link in my sig-line.

There are slight pro's and cons to every year, but not really enough that I'd hold out for one year over others. I'd jump on the first lowest mileage one I could find.

The 96 heads are nice because they work with about any header out there, but there are headers for the later ones. 98 and later had the better transmission, but it's possible to update an early one. The 99-01 returnless can add to cost a smidge if you need to buy a regulator.

So the best would be a 96 motor, with a 98 or later AWD trans, with a 97 computer and a 98 harness. You're probably not going to find one stock though.

OP
OP
B

Bronco1970man

Loc.
Arizona
Thanks everyone! Based on everything you've said and what I've read I think I'll look for a 97 to 2001 5.0 4x4 explorer to start with.

Bronco John

Theres a 96 explorer with 5.0 near me for $600 has transmission issues but i was gonna stay with manual trans anyway. Stuff like that always pops up when funds are low.