• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Duck Build.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
This damn cold weather is sure trying to discourage me working on the old girl. Since it's St. Patties day, I will forgive myself for not working on her tonight in favor of green beer and warm cheer!
3a3e4epu.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Not too much to report tonight other than an air hammer and chisel will become your best friend when removing body panels. Since I am in slow mode until my replacement parts arrive, I will keep pecking away at things. Then it will be pedal to the metal again....

yvehu7up.jpg

syhyda5y.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
The Duck is losing its feathers...

A little more is done. Took a break for supper then I'm going to work some more. I am about to a stopping point till some new sheet metal arrives so I am going to try my skills at saving my passenger fender. Worse case I have to get a new one, best case I save it and have $$$ to spend on other parts.
vu9ezyze.jpg

umymune3.jpg

4e9etyry.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
This little surprise arrived in today's mail. Wish I was at the point I was installing them....
pezereda.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
It does but I will probably not put it back on. I think it will be for the next bronco. I want a frame and a title and it will be built from there up. I want a PTO winch in it so that is where the throttle will be reused... This one will be my driver, show queen and I will need one for the woods. As Andy Gouge said, one is never enough. :)

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Great Progress!! I need to drop my crawler off and let you do the body!!

I tell you what, not to swell my own ego or anything but I just impressed the hell out of myself. My passenger fender was pretty beat up and after about an hour with the hammer and dolly it is starting to look real good. I hope I have some before pics cause I didn't expect it to turn out but it is definitely a keeper now... I will post some pics later tonight. Back to the shop!

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Well my fender I was thinking that might be beyond my skill set has been saved. The mud was over a half inch thick. It still needs filler but should be less than an 1/8th in in sparse spots. I tried my best at shrinking it but it is much better than how it was before.
4urupuna.jpg

aguqevun.jpg

Belt trim holes have been deleted.
denydyru.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Well onto the driver side fender. A little Swiss cheese in the mounting flange.
7y5ydyhe.jpg

yvajutu8.jpg

Break out the crayons and scissors

pu8e8y3u.jpg

ehatumys.jpg

Onto the shear and brake

qa3unu4y.jpg

6asetuha.jpg

ja6uhyty.jpg

A little massage from the shrinker stretcher and voila!

yqunesy2.jpg

seryzuza.jpg

4yduvu8a.jpg

Last edited:

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
What type of media did you use for blasting, crushed glass, soda, ??

Also, to prevent flash rusting once back inside, did you do anything to it. If you used soda I understand you may not have as it helps coat the metal until you clean it off.

Looking good, thanks.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Soda was used. I am happy with its ability to keep flash rust away. The only downfall is it does not remove rust but it did remove the scale. I have to hit the areas with my sand blaster here and there then when I get all of the metal work done I will pressure wash it with a neutralizer for the soda, soak it down with ospho and then put it in epoxy primer. That is several weeks away... if my parts ever get here. Looks like I should get a truck delivery next friday fingers crossed.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Didn't get to put in too much time in on the bronco today but I did do a few things. Finished the driver fender. Deleted the last of the sport side trim holes. Re-visited the passenger fender. Hung them back on the bronco and did some more shrinking to reverse the wreck damage done. Got the last seat bolt that was rung off out. Formulated my plan of attack for tomorrow. Hopefully by the end of the day I will have fabricated repair panels for my inner rockers and install them. I also found a piece of 14g so I can fabricate and repair the piece of rotten seat brace which will save me some money having to buy a repair channel.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Well it was a long day and hard effort. funny how when you go through a particular piece of the project in your mind it goes way faster than reality. All I did today was cut and fab. Here is the replacement panel for my passenger inner rocker and a repair patch panel for the passenger outer rocker. Once I get them installed (hopefully tomorrow) I can then start the same process on the driver side then I get to reinstall the floor brace. These projects are working out well as by the time they are done my parts should be here then it will seem like she is coming back together much faster. At least most of the floor is prepped and ready to fit the pans and get them burned in.
u5upamy6.jpg

te7yhe2a.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Well I went back out to the shop after supper and got a few more things done. Minus a little grinding and cleanup welding the pass side is done. A note for those who are thinking of venturing down this route of fabricating their own patch panels here and there, do not be afraid to cut back farther than the apparent easy blend spot. Chasing thin metal when welding is a PITA! I learned this lesson on the pass side, the driver side wll be much easier in the long run.
edubudyj.jpg

uqapedev.jpg

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
When Andy stopped by to help me tear down the old girl he reflected that the best part of working on his frame off Stroppe was the part when working on it no longer involved getting grimy, dirt falling in your face or seeing what you were working on was filthy... I am ready for that part of my build! When I opened up the rocker, there was about a pound of sand and rust collected in it. Just can't wait to see what is on the driver side... when we cleaned it out it was shiny like a new nickel.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I didn't even know my daughter snapped this photo tonight. I truly enjoyed my kids company along with my dad. My son is in the foreground and my dad in the back, I was in the bronco with the welding helmet on. She asked me tonight if I would teach her how to weld... Mind you she is in college to become a surgical nurse but it made a daddy very proud indeed!
5ypy9yqy.jpg

My #1and me:
te5eqaza.jpg

My son and his Harley:
y8uzajyt.jpg

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I'm glad someone besides my wife calls dinner supper. :D

A surgical nurse should have the steady hands for a welder, might be a future way out of some dirt in YOUR eyes.. Show her the way.

My son, who is 12, but 6' and 220# started helping me sand a Mustang yesterday for paint. It is good to have them take an interest in it.

Keeping an eye on your work, looking good, similar project in my near future.