• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

#1 on Dizzy

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Something isn't right. I have this pic pulled from tech forum. It is showing firing order for HO. Is #1 plug wire in same place for "76" 302? My #1 is right beside clip and starts and runs fine with vacuum line plugged, but timeing mark comes up way off. Just guessing, about 30' BTDC. If I wire to pic won't even start. And yes, I am on #1 plug wire. Any ideas?

Attachments

• firingorder.gif
    firingorder.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 47

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
sounds like you have wrong SET-UP?trace wires and see where they realy go.bring #1 to tdc and see where bug points go from there

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
3 different timing cover/balancer combonations for the timing pointer. Someone could have swapped a part and mis-matched it.

They could also have stabbed the distributer in a tooth off and where ever the rotor was pointing called that #1 and started from there.

OP
OP
Explorer

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Good possibility of a mismatch. Supposibly timing chain was replaced and you can see work has been done. Looks to be original intake with Holley four barrel added w/ adapter plate. It will run just fine as is as long as vaccum line is plugged. I guess its working off the mechanical advance. I am used to old VW's and vacuum signal has to match from carb and dizzy. Could that be reason why will idle but not run with vacuum hooked up? Bear with me guy's, I'm to retrain myself. I will TDC #1 and check but it should be running worse than it is if wrong. For what its worth, my chalk mark is at 12 o'clock and zero vaccum at idle so sure I have the right vaccum port.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That diagram does not show the 5.0 HO firing order. It shows the non-HO 5.0 order. Use the part of it that shows 5.8L, it's the same as the 5.0 HO.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like your vacuum tube is hooked to full manifold vacuum on the carb.
Should be to "ported spark" tube on carb, which is above the throttle blades.
If the carb is adjusted properly, you should not get a measurable vacuum signal out of the tube at idle.
So if you hooked up the advance, there should be no (or very little) change in timing.
Double-check the port location.

And like was said, if the distributor was installed off by a tooth or four, they probably just put the wires where it was appropriate. Happens when someone doesn't feel like taking the time (or doesn't know how) to re-align the the oil pump shaft so that the gears mesh and the hex shaft lines up.
The position does not matter as long as the rotor lines up with the right one and the rest follow suit. And your vacuum advance can doesn't hit anything.

A good reason to put it where the picture says however is for consistency and to match up correctly with a distributor cap that has the number "1" molded into it.

Paul

OP
OP
Explorer

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Thanks Guy's. You've been a lot of help. It runs fine the way it is, I'm just a little OCD when things are not right. I'll probably freshen engine later and fix it then.