• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What do I need to look for???

Mikspeed

Hey.. I used to be a Jeep guy but am going to look at a Bronco this weekend.. Sold the Jeep a year ago and missing the 4wd. I posted a picture of the Bronco in my gallery.

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/19872/cat/500/ppuser/24660

I don't have a lot of info yet but I do know it is the original owner and it has a 302 Auto and some rust. What do I need to look for (rust areas... or anything else)? What is a reasonable price? I do not want to low ball. Thanks

maggard12

Loc.
Whitesburg, Ky
bronco

Well, its a 76 so that helps a lot in my opinion. It should have a 4 turn power steering box, disc brakes, and big bearing rearend with bigger axles. Look at the kick panel, see if the doors are sagging, wheel tubs, and the cowl. If these parts are good, with no rust then I'd say take her.

OP
OP
M

Mikspeed

Thanks so far...

Any other issues and areas I need to look for.. I prefer a manual tran but heard the Auto is a good tran for these. What are your thoughts??

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
$1500 would be a steal for this. You are starting in a much better position than I did and I paid $2750 for my 68...

I'd say do it :) Welcome to the Bronco addiction ;)

OP
OP
M

Mikspeed

It has been sitting for the past two years!

So I found out it has been sitting for the past two years. They claim that it was running when they parked it. I am going to get some pics. What should I take a pictures of? I'm not going to try and crank it until after purchase. Would rather pull all the fluids out and drain the gas. Thoughts...???

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Just from the one picture that you gave, I am guessing that the rockers, front floors, door posts, kick panels, and possibly inner front fenders are going to be shot. Good chance the cowl is in bad shape as well. Get pictures of all of that stuff. Also look at the tail-light housings, the rear inner fenders, rear quarter panel seams.

Like maggard said, it is good that it is a '76 - it has more "good stuff" than the earlier years. I don't know how prices are in your area, but the body on yours looks similar to what mine did when I bought it. Granted, mine was a '69, but I paid $800 for mine. So, with the extra '76 goodies, $1500 might be a reasonable offer.

OP
OP
M

Mikspeed

I am the new owner....

$875 at an estate auction... She's got alot of work. Floor pans, rockers, inside rear quarters, bottom of tailgate, grill, fenders and behind the wheels all are rusted. The doors are good and hood. It has been sitting ten years not two but the guy used it as a farm vehicle and a year before he parked it to sit he had the engine rebuilt. Next step is get the fluids drained and do a minor tune up on it. Hopefully we can get her running. I'll post pics in my gallery after we get her towed in on a rollback. Hopefully it'll turn out to be a good investment.. :)

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
$875 seems like a good price for a '76 with auto. You may could even part it out for that or more.

Auction? What happened to reasonable offer? You got it for a good price, however.

OP
OP
M

Mikspeed

asonable Price

Estate auction.. I expected it to go higher.. There were only 4 bidders and they were all looking to part it out and get it cheap.. My buddy is the body shop teacher at the local high school and he has been looking at these for awhile.. He said the work and parts would run us up pretty high and 800 was reasonable.. I'll let you know after the project is finished if I feel like I low ball priced him. He was happy it was going to someone that isn't going to chop it up.. It's going to be at the local high school getting the body work done on it...