• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Budget 2wd ZF Transmission" Is it Real??

nathanicia

Has anyone actually tried the budget 2wd ZF swap shown in the tech section?? I have a 2wd zf lying around and am thinking about it, but it seems kinda sketchy.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X3 I wouldnt waste my time with it at least not the way they did it in the article. Its not that hard to get a 4wd tranny.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Has anyone actually tried the budget 2wd ZF swap shown in the tech section?? I have a 2wd zf lying around and am thinking about it, but it seems kinda sketchy.

I may have an extra ZF 4x4 output shaft and adapter soon. Waiting on my father to get me some pics of said parts his buddy has.

I currently have a 4x2 SB ZF tranny and have the 4x4 output shaft and adapter to convert it over to a 4x4 set up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I thought it was taken down a long time ago.

Too many engineering mines give way too many reasons to avoid it. No one has driven it to show us wrong. It would be impressive (astonishing?) if you could get any live out if such a combo.

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
Wow, first post here in months (years?).

I toyed with the idea, seriously enough to buy a trans, make a couple pieces to make the spud shaft stronger, and tinker with the mounts. I think it could[/0] be done, albeit not exactly as in the article. The mounts would be extremely complicated. You'd spend more in steel and fab time than a 4x4 trans would cost you. Even if you could get it together, the chances of it being a grenade are better than average.

The only practical, marginally insane way to do it would be to run a divorced NP205 (just because it's easily available) behind it with a stubby shaft similar to what's in the M37s and M715s. But, with only 92" of wheel base to play with, you'd probably just transfer the grenade tendencies to your rear driveshaft. Unless of course you want to spend mega bucks on whatever Cornay's latest and greatest is. This is one of those situations where things are typically done a certain way for a very good reason.