• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Bolt-In" Power Steering Box 2.7 Quick Ratio.

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mystery box

It looks like this thread died back in 2009 without the source vehicle being discovered. As for he ebay offer that 14:1 ratio could wear a person out on the trails.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's probably better than the stock Bronco boxes up until '76 at least. Ratio isn't the same as turns lock-to-lock, so it's hard to tell just what you're getting from the numbers. You'd have to drive something similar.
I really have no idea what changes internally, or how the different ratios are accomplished, but here's my basic understanding of the whole thing.

That 14 to 1 number is similar (if I remember correctly) to the GM Saginaw boxes from the mid-seventies to the late eighties or so. GM used several different ratios over the years in that line. Some were performance, some were granny-car, but it had more to do with the "feel" of the steering, rather than exclusively how many turns it took to run it through it's paces.
There were even some variable-ratio boxes as well.
Which is why I don't fully understand the whole concept. But the e-bay box in the link is a very nice setup that Borgeson sells and is quicker than the stock Bronco boxes. If I'm not mistaken, it's even quicker than the later EB boxes. But you can easily verify this with some of the vendor's claims. I think several of them, like Wild Horses, Tom's and Duff all sell the same setup.

Paul

Last edited:

BurntOrange74

looks like this box mounts on the inside of the frame. my original box mounts on the outside of the frame......

bushman_22

Loc.
Aloha, OR
Mystery partially solved!!!! I contacted Nexteer (formerly Delphi) and got a response from James Nadolny (Chief Engineer from Knopf automotive) Although he could not tell me the exact application, He did verify that it is from a RH drive vehicle. Getting closer

Bushman

Broncobowsher

Total hack
LLV?
The boxy postal vehicles? I knew people who worked at GM proving grounds when they were developing those things. They were filled with parts off the GM part shelves. Delphi steering box perhaps? The were Right Hand drive...

Just speculation.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's probably better than the stock Bronco boxes up until '76 at least. Ratio isn't the same as turns lock-to-lock, so it's hard to tell just what you're getting from the numbers. You'd have to drive something similar.
I really have no idea what changes internally, or how the different ratios are accomplished, but here's my basic understanding of the whole thing.

That 14 to 1 number is similar (if I remember correctly) to the GM Saginaw boxes from the mid-seventies to the late eighties or so. GM used several different ratios over the years in that line. Some were performance, some were granny-car, but it had more to do with the "feel" of the steering, rather than exclusively how many turns it took to run it through it's paces.
There were even some variable-ratio boxes as well.
Which is why I don't fully understand the whole concept. But the e-bay box in the link is a very nice setup that Borgeson sells and is quicker than the stock Bronco boxes. If I'm not mistaken, it's even quicker than the later EB boxes. But you can easily verify this with some of the vendor's claims. I think several of them, like Wild Horses, Tom's and Duff all sell the same setup.

Paul

I believe the 14:1 ratio refers to the input turns : output turns. No box really can make a full turn on the output. Typically they turn about 90 degrees, or 1/4 turn on the output. That would make it a 3 1/2 turn box (14/4=3.5).